Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

innocuous
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Aug 2006, 5:43 pm

I've always had problems with concentrating on a task; mostly with reading, writing or talking though. The problem is that I cannot focus my thoughts on anything without being interrupted by other (relevant or irrelevant) thoughts every fifth seconds.
When I read a book thoughts or pictures pop up all the time, and I have to re-read the text until I comprehend it.

Sometimes my brain kind of burst thoughts. (Example: I read "Wrong" and I think of geography, a map of Scandinavia, drapes, a leaf. I read "Planet" and thoughts concerning NASA, astronomy, galaxies and water pops up. Kind of silly, I know. While these thoughts come to my mind I get unconcentrated. Understand this, and then imagine how it is for me to read a whole piece of text. A _lot_ of thoughts interrupt me.)

Does anyone else have this type of problem?

8ball
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Aug 2006, 7:07 pm

ditto here
very crowded infostream

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2006, 9:25 pm

That is what happens to Aspies a lot. Definitely me. So you aren't alone, my friend. I experience it all the time. :oops:

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 2:50 pm

I think something like this happens to me occassionally. But tell me this....do you guys think this has to do with ADD or ADHD???

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2006, 3:23 pm

My brain is aways thinking about things all the time, and I find it hard to concertrate on anything I am not interested in.
I also find it very hard to talk to people about anything that does not interest me.
I also have problems sleeping caused by my brain thinking about things.
Simon.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 4:31 pm

I see what you all mean. When I'm doin my homework, doing household chores, whatsoever for instance, random things automatically pop up in my brain such as funny things you saw on TV, and a hot sexy girl/woman you were checking out on TV or a magazine. When I sleep at nite, I keep getting images or thoughts of sexy girls/women in my brain. These are like internal distractions that seem kinda unavoidable. This has the been happening for 4 months.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 5:04 pm

Unless it's something I'm extremely interested in, I have a lot of trouble with concentration. Random thoughts/memories/ideas keep coming and going all the time. The worst thing is when I remember something funny when I'm sitting on a bus or walking along the street on my own and have to try and stop myself bursting out laughing (apparently at nothing). :oops:

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 6:42 pm

i get kind of the same thing but i can deduce some method from the madness...

i find often, when i come across somethin i already know, say a word or fact; i remember pretty well where i first read about that word/fact... this generally works best for things ive done my own research or reading on... not from somethin someone tells me.

like in school, when i would take a test and it was a question from one of our textbooks... i get flooded with mental pictures of the very page in the book that the word/fact was on. i can even get a mental picture of the paragraph and page number it was on... if i was eating/drinking at the time, i can usually at least remember i was doing so, if not what i was consuming specifically.... sometimes these images of the things surrounding the bit of info my brain is searching for-gets blocked out and i can remember everything but the fact or word i needed to remember... this made taking tests in school kind of hit or miss sometimes.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 11:23 pm

My train of thought often feels like a neverending session of free-association therapy. It's not theraputic at all because it makes focusing difficult.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 11:44 pm

Steve_Cory wrote:
That is what happens to Aspies a lot. Definitely me. So you aren't alone, my friend. I experience it all the time. :oops:

Actually, this pattern of distracted thinking is a symptom of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, predominantly inattentive type. That's not to say it can't happen to people with Asperger's syndrome, too.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2006, 4:14 am

Sedaka wrote:
like in school, when i would take a test and it was a question from one of our textbooks... i get flooded with mental pictures of the very page in the book that the word/fact was on. i can even get a mental picture of the paragraph and page number it was on... if i was eating/drinking at the time, i can usually at least remember i was doing so, if not what i was consuming specifically.... sometimes these images of the things surrounding the bit of info my brain is searching for-gets blocked out and i can remember everything but the fact or word i needed to remember... this made taking tests in school kind of hit or miss sometimes.

You've just described my studying days. For exams, that's exactly what happened. I'd see a question and my mind flashes the image of the notes, plus not-so-useful images of my desk, items on my desk, what music was playing at the time [if any], etc.

I never did well in exams either. My exam scores were generally lower - in some cases, much lower - than my other marks. In hindsight, I think I was/am a rote learner, but I was in denial at the time :lol:

As for whether it's ADD/ADHD, I'm not a medical professional and so it'll be irresponsible for me to comment :)

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:22 am

simon2wright wrote:
My brain is aways thinking about things all the time, and I find it hard to concertrate on anything I am not interested in.
I also find it very hard to talk to people about anything that does not interest me.

Fine, so avoid getting a customer service job and enjoy the things that you like.

Every word is worth a thousand pictures.
Just don't try to use them all every time. Vivid picture thinkers definitely have a set of challenges to go along with the advantages. I can't offer any help on this one, but you are not alone.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 9:48 pm

Hovis wrote:
Unless it's something I'm extremely interested in, I have a lot of trouble with concentration. Random thoughts/memories/ideas keep coming and going all the time. The worst thing is when I remember something funny when I'm sitting on a bus or walking along the street on my own and have to try and stop myself bursting out laughing (apparently at nothing). :oops:

Oh yeah, the same thing happens to me too wherever I am. I try my best to avoid laughing whenever I recall something funny in my mind otherwise people would think that I was mentally ret*d.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 11:13 pm

OK, does anyone know if there are any was to avoid such internal distractions????

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2006, 2:30 pm

I have always had a very chotic mind but it helps with thinking out of the box and intutive thinking.I can get overwhelmed by my own thought though and that does suck I think that that is part of my insomnia problem

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 2:51 pm

I used to have trouble sleeping because of a chaotic thought process until I started an excersize that works well for me (your milage may vary).

First off think up a character.. then visualize them, then freestyle a story and imagine it like a movie in your mind (action movies work best). Its ok to bounce around in the plot a bit the important part is to keep it going, think up dialog, action sequences and everything.

Im usually asleep before I get to see the ending but no complaints. I guess its sort of a form of self hypnosis or maybe I just mentally exhaust myself.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane