Why is homosexuality mistakenly associated with pedophilia?

Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 4:35 pm

It's a very nonsensical stereotype!

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 4:45 pm

Yeah it is to an extent. Many steretypes are stuck in the minds of certain individuals. I sometimes have moments where I may quickly judge a person for being themselves, which includes homosexuality to be honest. i quickly ask myself why i am judging others though.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 4:47 pm

Pedophilia frequently being a homosexual act for starters.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 May 2011, 5:10 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Evidence?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 5:24 pm

To put it bluntly, people are ignorant and if they don't like a particular group, they will find a way to demonize, so then more ignorant people could join in on the hate.

If it helps any, men often subconsciously look for childlike features in a mate. This doesn't answer your question, but it does somewhat relate from an evolutionary biology perspective. Also, I noticed that alot of people who get caught in acts of pedophilia have a heterosexual marriage. This further ads to the confusion, so maybe I should just stop talking :?

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 5:30 pm

John_Browning wrote:
This is actually highly inaccurate, but immoral conservatives continue repeating this tired, old fable. However, this still doesn't explain why such a fable has become so popular, so allow me to try my hand at explaining perhaps a part of its origin.

The reason that people often confuse homosexuality with pedophilia is that they tend to confuse homosexuality with the inevitable desperate acts of men who are forced to keep company with other men in stressful contexts.

Take prison rape for example: the offender in a prison rape situation is really a lot more likely to be heterosexual outside of prison walls. The reason for this is that it is actually surprisingly common for self-identified heterosexual men to engage in "homosexual" intercourse in situations in which the other male is serving in the role of a member of the opposite sex. If the other person in this arrangement actually is homosexual, there is unlikely to be very much complaint. However, in situations like prison rape, it usually manifests as a form of bullying.

Now, our reaction to bullying in situations in which we ourselves are comfortable and secure is one of revulsion, and we typically see the perpetrator as "strong" and the victim as "weak" yet for some reason deserving of our protection. This is especially the case in children. Unless we are in a truly desperate, end-of-the-world situation, we will not and cannot abide the concept of someone hurting children just because they are easy to hurt.

Therefore, what happens in the case of someone who has confused true homosexuality with the prison rape behavior? Essentially, they are going to see the homosexual as a person who takes sexual pleasure in exploiting the weakness of others, and they will view the behavior with the appropriate revulsion and loathing. If that person claims to take particular enjoyment in this behavior, the ears of a person who has commited this confusion will hear, "the more helpless, the better."

However, there is a way around this mechanism, and gay advocacy groups in the West have struck the nail on the head. They have learned to portray themselves as largely the "female" or "weaker" partners in such situations (which is actually quite accurate in prison rape situations), and what this does is to turn the reaction around a full 180 degrees. The fact that the gay rights movement has been largely non-violent has contributed to this, actually.

Finally, you can see this metamorphosis slowly happening in places like Malaysia. The gay people there are seen as contemptible but in a pathetic and pitiable sort of way. From this point, it is up to the gay community in Malaysia to portray themselves as charming and likeable enough to earn a higher level of sympathy. In time, the straight people of Malaysia will view gay people as their equals. However, the gay people there will have to earn their acceptance like anyone else.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2011, 5:52 pm

because a lot of people are narrow minded idiots

Superbadger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2011, 5:56 pm

People who make this association assume that all males who molest boys are homosexuals. This is not true; they are generally pedophiles with no sexual attraction to other adults. And many, if not most, are sexually attracted to both boys and girls.

They assume that all homosexuals are males. They find something negative that they feel they can say about male homosexuals and extend it to all homosexuals; lesbians included.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 6:08 pm

I agree (with OP), and that it is a leap I've never quite understood.

My theory is that the reasoning works like this:

"Gay sex is not normal sex,"
"pedophilia is not normal sex"
"therefore, gay sex and pedophilia are the same."

or, of course:

"eating oranges is not normal sex"
"human-animal sex is not normal sex,"
"therefore, eating oranges and human-animal sex are the same."

I think it's a case of an un-realized assumption that straight sex is "normal," and that all other kinds of sex are the same because they are not straight sex.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2011, 6:14 pm

The short answer is that it is an effecive method for breeding hatred against an other who really has no interest in anything to do with u.
Compaire what most gay
Men describe as attractive against the folks who seem to feel most threatened by them (u discover oddly enough redneck as*holes are not attactive to any gender, even the women who settle for them)

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 7:10 pm

That sounds about right, Joe.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 12:29 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

or, of course:

I think it's a case of an un-realized assumption that straight sex is "normal," and that all other kinds of sex are the same because they are not straight sex.

It's simpler than that, It's because of the shear number of incidents of sexual abuse that are homosexual acts.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 12:31 am

Because people are morons.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 12:34 am

John_Browning wrote:

It's simpler than that, It's because of the shear number of incidents of sexual abuse that are homosexual acts.

Bull f*****g s**t.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 12:39 am

John_Browning wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

or, of course:

That may or may not be the case, but there seems to be a whole lot of heterosexual men sexually abusing children. It's not as much of a gay thing as it is a creep thing. This is just based on anecdotal evidence, but I'm guessing there's not a strong correlation between the sexual orientation of the abuser and pedophilia.