Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

braiden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2011, 5:48 pm

Hi

my name is Braiden. I am 11. I want to build a computer. please help. please watch the video, go to My Blog and email me at [email protected] or leave a post here.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hfET77f2u4/[/youtube]

Last edited by braiden on 01 May 2011, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 6:17 pm

I was looking forward to enthusiastically typing up a 5,000 word introduction on how to do it and all that stuff, but I see that's not what you're looking for. I'm sorry but I'm not going to give away money to random people I don't know over the internet. I had to earn my own money to build my rig by washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning pools, and mowing lawns. I'm sure there's some ways you can get money other than begging for it.

klikmaus

01 May 2011, 8:06 pm

I was about to watch the video but the first post below stated it's a financial request..... I'm hurting for a job myself so I don't need to send myself into further despair over other peoples finances. HOWEVER-----

I CAN help you build A computer-- with advice. I am not certain what resources you have in whatever region you are in, but try posting "wanted" ads on online classified websites requesting specific components. You can easily get a case from one person, power supply from another, possibly memory and motherboard from another..... Part by part your project will gradually come together. If you are "just by chance" close to Long Beach, CA, I will give you 2 nearly-complete units, albeit older machines-- Pentium 2's. All they need are PC100 ram, hard drive, keyboard, and mouse. Sorry, I can't afford to ship or deliver.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:25 pm

Your best looking for second hand parts and computer hardware.

Over the last 6 years while doing a computer science degree I reconditioned 15 PCs, some of them have gone to family and friends that need a computer, I kept five for myself to build a network in my home. You have experience with Linux which is great as Linux is the best OS for old computers. Slackware or Arch Linux might be good distros for you to install on your build box(s) as they will test your Linux knowledge to the max plus let you "build" an OS.

If you got good programming skills & feel up to a bigger changeling then try installing Linux From Scratch.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:59 pm

Actually I had a 6+ year old athlon computer laying around. Picked up a new mobo and quad core athlon... and swallowed the parts from the old computer + bought a new hard drive and some ram. It was like $200 to make a quad core with 4 gigs of ram and 500gb hd.

JPanzer
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 10:18 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I was looking forward to enthusiastically typing up a 5,000 word introduction on how to do it and all that stuff, but I see that's not what you're looking for. I'm sorry but I'm not going to give away money to random people I don't know over the internet. I had to earn my own money to build my rig by washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning pools, and mowing lawns. I'm sure there's some ways you can get money other than begging for it.

You can type that up for me if you want. I'm planning to properly build my first computer during the summer. :wink: