Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 6:37 pm

Talk about your opinion of snakes, and if you have any snakes then talk about them and maybe post pictures.

Here's a video i did with my corn snake, ball python, and boa constrictor. My reticulated python was shedding at the time, plus she moves around a lot(so trying to film her would be difficult anyway), so that's why she wasn't in there. Anyway, i entered it into the snake video contest they're having on reptilechannel, so please vote for it if you like it(you can vote every 24 hours): http://www.reptilechannel.com/editorial ... es&Index=1

I'd like to have more snakes, but i don't have the money for it now. I went to the reptile show in Raleigh yesterday and saw a bunch of snakes i wish i could have. My favorite was an albino tiger retic. I got to hold him for awhile and he was really neat... It was funny because i went over and held him right after this one guy who had his big burmese python out told me that retics are "aggressive" when i said i had one... lol. Of course when you tell someone that they aren't aggressive if they are used to people, they don't want to listen to you. I wish i had room for another retic, i love them! I bought frozen rodents and rabbits from the same guy that i bought from at the last few shows. He actually gave me a cheaper price on most of what i got because he recognized me as a repeat customer :) Most people i've come across at reptile shows are really nice! My friend who went with me got two Mexican Milksnakes and a Dumeril's Boa.

We went to the natural science museum yesterday too, and they had a nice little collection of snakes.. Mostly venomous. The cottonmouth was awesome, because he was up at the front of his cage like he was posing for people, lol. He seemed like he was used to being watched though, because he didn't do the mouth display thing. They also had timber, pigmy, and diamondback rattlesnakes, and there was supposed to be a copperhead but he must have been hiding. The venomous snakes we have in NC are pretty cool.. I wish i came across more of them.

There's also probably various snakes living in my yard... I know there are a couple black racers living under the steps from our garage to back yard. One of my cats was pestering one of them the other day(he's about three feet long), and i picked him up to get him away from the cats. He didn't even try to bite or anything, he just slithered off and hid super fast when i put him back over by the steps.. But for a little while he was just sitting calmly in my hands. I've seen them a bunch of times. If i go out early in the day, sometimes one is sticking their head out of the crack in the steps or out basking. A few weeks ago we found a five foot snake skin in our front yard, so there's probably a big rat snake or something out there somewhere.

Anyway... SNAKES ARE REALLY FREAKING COOL.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 7:07 pm

I feel pretty good about snakes, but in the same way I am with spiders and heights- There is some hesitation and fear mixed in with that feeling. Is there a word for that feeling?

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 8:28 pm

I don't know. What is it about them that makes you uncomfortable?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 8:50 pm

I like snakes. I like their long and colouful bodies and their tounges. I also like how they coil up. My favourite snake is the Ball Constructor. :cool:

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:14 pm

Never heard of a ball constructor. Do you mean a ball python or a boa constrictor? Lol.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:46 pm

I happen to be fascinated with Indian snake charming.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEhnoYJtok[/youtube]

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 10:48 pm

I live in a land free of snakes so I have no experience of them.

Some seem pretty scary but most seem cool - from this distance anyway

For the record we only have three poisonous spiders even and only one is native/endemic it's our landscape and seas that can kill you

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 12:11 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
I don't know. What is it about them that makes you uncomfortable?

Just being a realist, if I woke up with a strange snake in my bed in the middle of the night, I am most likely going to freak out and be hanging from the rafters until I get my bearings back in check. When I've grabbed snakes in the wild for classes, there has always been some apprehension associated with it that I don't get with most other animals. Same way if I pick up a spider in the house, I'll do it but there is a creepy, crawly feeling going off in the back of my head. When I have gone skydiving and climbing, I have a pretty severe reaction to looking down that I have to fight through. It isn't something I can't deal with, but it is all part of a natural fear that I must override.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 5:49 am

Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? :lol:

I actually think that snakes are really interesting. Especially two-headed snakes: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/03/0318_0319_twoheadsnake.html

I wouldn't like to own a snake (too much responsibility), but I like watching them.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2011, 10:49 am

I'm not strongly opinionated on snakes either way... I'm not afraid of them, but also I prefer not to have them all around the place. We have plenty of snakes at our ranch in Southern California, as they eat the mice and gophers. Mainly it's California king snakes, which are non-poisonous, but they can strike if you step on them or scare them. They hide in places right near the house, and under objects, etc. We also have poisonous rattlesnakes, which can really get you by surprise if you're not paying attention. They're the same color as the pavement, and if they're asleep in the sun, you won't see them until you're right ontop of them. We don't go climbing around in an area with rocks either, as that's a great way to FIND a rattlesnake the HARD WAY.

Charles

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 11:39 am

I was startled an hour ago by a 3-4 foot snake slithering under my car. And that's my usual reaction to snakes--I'm startled by them. Once past that I can admire their beauty. I'm a bit jealous that my body is not as slim and well-designed.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 11:55 am

I love snakes. I always wanted one for a pet. A Python would be cool.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 5:21 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I love snakes. I always wanted one for a pet. A Python would be cool.

What kind of python do you want? Ball Pythons are pretty popular and easy to take care of. I wouldn't recommend most other pythons that are popular in the pet trade to someone without snake-keeping experience though. Burmese Pythons, for example, are for sale at a lot of pet shops, but they get huge.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 5:28 pm

the_curmudge wrote:
I was startled an hour ago by a 3-4 foot snake slithering under my car. And that's my usual reaction to snakes--I'm startled by them. Once past that I can admire their beauty. I'm a bit jealous that my body is not as slim and well-designed.

What kind was it? Today there was a rat snake in a tree at the wildlife shelter i volunteer at. They don't like having snakes out there, because of all the birds they keep outside, so i picked it up and put him a critter keeper.. He slithered out before i could put the top on and i lost him though, lol. He was about four feet i think.. But he never struck at me. It's funny.. People think snakes are so mean, but even the wild snakes i've picked up haven't been aggressive toward me.. They just move fast and try to get away when they can.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 10:45 pm

I like snakes and I'm not afraid of them, but I wouldn't like having one as a pet. I don't like feeding living things to my pets.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 10:50 am

Right on... snake topic.

Recently we added a boa to our list of snakes... until then we had only kept pythons (we have a carpet, burmese, and two ball pythons at the moment). I am not sure what kind of boa the lil guy is... the store had him advertised as a 'rainbow snake'... we think he is a columbian rainbow boa... a rather plain brown he is. He was a sick lil guy though... he came to us with a mouth injury, severely underweight, and a respiratory infection. After a few months worth of injections and a steady diet of many small rats/ mice, he is gaining weight and strength. He is currently in the middle of his second shed since we got him (we got him near the end of February). I am pleased by this as we thought we might lose him for awhile there. Now we are much more optimistic.

Sometime in the future (need more space) we want a retic. I also want a boelens python... doubt I will ever be able to afford one, but oooohhhhhh do I want one. Heh.