I've found autistic forums, now where's the NT forums?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

01 May 2011, 9:12 pm

I found the "Autistic forums" at Wrong Planet, but now I want to compare myself to pure neurotypicals to see which group I'm more similar to, but I need to find some neurotypical forums to do so. Does anyone know where to look? I wasn't able to find one on google by searching "Neurotypical forum".

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:22 pm

There aren't any forums for just neurotypical people. When people talk about "NT forums" on here, they mean forums where the vast majority of the population is NT. Like the site "Aspies For Freedom", regardless of your opinion on it, is NOT an NT forum because most of the people there have an ASD. An "NT forum" would be something like a forum for a band, author or movie. Basically, any forum that is not specifically for people with ASDs, is an NT forum.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:23 pm

That may be too broad of a topic. Forums tend to thrive when the topic is narrow.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:23 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
An "NT forum" would be something like a forum for a band, author or movie. Basically, any forum that is not specifically for people with ASDs, is an NT forum.

Disagree.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:26 pm

Any parenting forum will give you what you want. :evil:

especially BUBHUB :evil:

So I'm never in a rush

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

01 May 2011, 9:27 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
That may be too broad of a topic. Forums tend to thrive when the topic is narrow.

Is "Normal People" narrow enough?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:27 pm

swbluto wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

Not even close.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:32 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

Not even close.

How about "the Popular Crowd"?

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:39 pm

The thing is no one is going to create a forum about being neurotypical, because neurotypical is the default. So you're not going to be able to have a perfectly selected group of people.

Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

01 May 2011, 9:42 pm

Zen wrote:
The thing is no one is going to create a forum about being neurotypical, because neurotypical is the default. So you're not going to be able to have a perfectly selected group of people.

Yeah. It's like creating a forum called "People who aren't in wheelchairs" or "People without cancer".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:44 pm

Zen wrote:

Oh, I don't know about that, since most posts are going to come from the most prolific posters who are themselves most obsessed with the subject / forum, and you know the connection between obsessions and ASDs. :wink:

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 12:21 am

Have you considered looking out your door?

I think there are psych forums that deal with predominately neurotypical slant of view on difficulties and problems. Social websites are pretty infamous for neurotypical social behavior, normal and otherwise.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 12:45 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:
An "NT forum" would be something like a forum for a band, author or movie. Basically, any forum that is not specifically for people with ASDs, is an NT forum.

Disagree.

OK. Everyone said, what I met, in a smarter way. As I have said before, I'm not the smartest person here. It's just the band the forum I was on was very NT. There were a few other aspies, but not many. There was a couple members on there, that were EXTREMELY NT.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 1:19 am

Social networking sites: Hmmmm...

Facebook sounds like a possible candidate but the idea of facebook kind of disgusts me (I have no immediate idea why -- maybe because it's symbolic of "the herd"?). I'd imagine that any other social networking site would probably disgust me in the "same" way. But, there are interest groups on there, so I guess I should just stomach it up, especially since it's for comparison/contrast purposes.

Thanks!

(Btw, the thread was started out as a joke, but there were actually some rather useful ideas here. Thanks everyone!)

Now I need to figure out how to use facebook. :roll: It seems very "friend centric" and the "groups" section only seems to point me to creating a group rather than finding existing groups.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 6:09 am

From what I can gather, you are going to ask a bunch of NT people to take the same bunch of tests that people on here took, such as the AS Quotient test and others. So you have to ask yourself, which group of NT people is most likely to comply with your request?

People need an incentive for taking a bunch of quizzes. At one point you floated the idea of making a material incentive such as entering them in a raffle for an ipod. The problem there is that absolutely nobody there will believe you. At this point in the internet, everybody knows that when an absolute stranger promises "do this and be in a raffle for X" that it is bs at best and probably a phishing scam. Whether you intend to give somebody an ipod (or any item) is irrelevent. Nobody will believe you.

So the incentive has to be curiosity about the results themselves. People take quizzes on Facebook and all over the internet because they are curious about the results. So you are going to have to think about which NT demographic will actually care about how they score on a test meant to identify autistic features. You have to step outside the WP mindset for a bit and realize that most of the world doesn't go around wondering if they are autistic or thinking about autism at all in any way, shape or form. They don't wonder about autism any more than a fish wonders about ice cream. There is no point. So they won't be curious about their results on an AS Quotient test or any of the others- and curiosity about results is your only bait since offers of a possible material prize will be met with rolled eyes that you would think they'd fall for that.

So what NT demographic would be curious about how they score on a bunch of tests meant to identify autism? I can think of one demographic- NT parents of AS children. Autism never crossed my mind in any way as a subject to think about until about 5 years after my daughter was born. And after that I became intensely curious (hence am here). This is typical for NT parents of AS children. We're anNT demographic that actually wonders (which is why you got some NT parents to fill out the quizzes- we wonder about the results).

I can't think of other demographics at the moment but it's something for you to think about. If you just go at this cold and start trying to recruit a bunch of random NTs who don't care in the slightest about autism, you won't get quiz takers. People need to care about the results or they won't take the test. So I advise targeting parenting forums and going to the subforums for parenting autistic children. If you are going to go on Facebook, you need to link your quiz group in with other autism groups. IO don't know how to do that but this sort of linkage seems the only way to reach people who care and are not just random NTs.