Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Les
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2006, 4:38 pm

I have just finished reading Mark Haddon's "Curious Incident" and after a little research discover that the author isn't an aspie!

I took the thing literally and thought he had just changed the address's, names and 'phone numbers etc. But it turns out it was total fiction. I feel;

A, A tad silly thinking it was autobiographical.
B, A little ripped off and
C, A need to find books written by people on the spectrum.

There was me thinking "Hey! I must be a very mild aspie seeing as Christopher (lead character) has problems way worse than me." And all the time i was exhibiting a grade one, class A symptom of Aspergers by taking what was in front of me totally literally. Bugger!

Seeing as the name "Christopher" had it's meaning explained in the book I thought Mark Haddon was a pseudonym.

Does anyone have a reading list of books, fiction or non-fiction, written by aspie's?

Must learn not to take things at face value so much... mutter mutter....

Les

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2006, 8:06 pm

ripped off is the typical aspie esponse

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2006, 10:52 am

donkey wrote:
ripped off is the typical aspie esponse

I never felt ripped off, nor ever thought it was anything but fiction. But then, I've read a lot of first-person-viewpoint fiction over the years and got over the confusion between that and autobiography back in Junior High. The confusion was bad back then, though.

Maybe it's a matter of experience?

However - a book I was reading had a quote from Olaf Stapledon's 1935 sf classic "Odd John" about how the hero felt that other people weren't even real, and immediately thought of Christopher's similar perception. Odd John was presented as gifted and with superpowers, but it occurs to me now he might also have been autistic.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 12:12 pm

My novels are science fiction. I've written four so far. None published as yet. I did plain on getting published this year but since my laptop was crashing and sound was gone I decided to use the money I set aside for publishing to buy this new laptop that I'm using.

NateSean
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2006, 7:52 pm

TigerFire wrote:
My novels are science fiction. I've written four so far. None published as yet. I did plain on getting published this year but since my laptop was crashing and sound was gone I decided to use the money I set aside for publishing to buy this new laptop that I'm using.

Have you considered going to www.lulu.com?

It's a print on demand company. They do all of the publishing for free, the downside being you have to format the book and proofread and edit it yourself. But otherwise you're in control of the entire process.

I'm still in the early stages of my novels.