Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 7:35 am

GenieSusanWiley wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
you have some classy and knowledgeable friends 8) lucky you :)

Not too many, to be true. It's quite rare young people know and like opera. I admit I don't like it.

same here, the basic operatic plots are hackneyed- boy meets girl and is smitten, girl acts hard to get and breaks boy's heart until she sees the better of him, happy ending or death- alternately, king/doge is attacked by his subordinates and he plots revenge. but the music is just so grand. and the singing in foreign tongues [NOT english] has such gravity and grace and style. english is a marvelously forgiving utilitarian language but it is devoid of color, and not especially pleasant for singing.

GenieSusanWiley
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 May 2011, 11:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
and the singing in foreign tongues [NOT english] has such gravity and grace and style. english is a marvelously forgiving utilitarian language but it is devoid of color, and not especially pleasant for singing.

Well, I agree! I think italian is perfect for songs (so sweet), and I love listening to songs in other foreign tongues.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2011, 12:23 pm

About italian, i've had occasion to hear italian words that i don't know and i can't understand. This has make me think that italian is a language that sounds too academic for art, but this is just my impression.
I love norwegian.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2011, 11:31 am

Hey, I am Italian too.