Who didn't care at ALL about the royal wedding?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 3:56 am

i didn't particularly care, just annoyed that the buses weren't running.. didn't even know when it was until 2 days before the event.
then i got quite startled, walking along & suddenly there was cannon fire. was exciting for a split-second though.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 9:48 am

I did not care at all, I was a little curious about Kate's dress but I couldn't give a s**t about the royal family. They have no real power anymore they're just obscenely rich celebrities now.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 10:38 am

Me

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 11:25 am

The flow on the back of her dress was pretty, but besides that, I seriously don't care at all.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:50 pm

Slept through the wedding but watched a few news recaps in the evening and the Lifetime "William & Kate" movie. Got a pretty good laugh out of the horridness of that movie.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 May 2011, 9:47 pm

Mindslave wrote:
I find it interesting that America cared so much about this royal wedding, and how sweet it was, yet in the midst of social turmoil and calls for revolution, we forget that THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE FOUGHT AGAINST 235 YEARS AGO!! ! It amazes me that people in this country miss the symbolic irony.

Thank you for saying that....I often wondered that myself. I guess the taoists are right...everything goes full circle.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 11:11 pm

Mindslave wrote:
I find it interesting that America cared so much about this royal wedding, and how sweet it was, yet in the midst of social turmoil and calls for revolution, we forget that THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE FOUGHT AGAINST 235 YEARS AGO!! !

First of all, "WE" did not fight anything 235 years ago, since "WE" were not born yet.

Second, the American Revolutionary War was fought against English aggression, exploitation, oppression, and tyranny, and not against royal weddings.

Third, America and England are allies, not enemies.
Mindslave wrote:
It amazes me that people in this country miss the symbolic irony.

Fourth, the only irony here is in the objections of someone who doesn't seem to realize that a royal wedding in England is not an act of aggression, exploitation, oppression, or tyranny against America or its citizens.

It's just a wedding, for dog's sake! Get over it.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

05 May 2011, 12:10 am

Fnord wrote:
Mindslave wrote:
I find it interesting that America cared so much about this royal wedding, and how sweet it was, yet in the midst of social turmoil and calls for revolution, we forget that THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE FOUGHT AGAINST 235 YEARS AGO!! !

First of all, "WE" did not fight anything 235 years ago, since "WE" were not born yet.

Second, the American Revolutionary War was fought against English aggression, exploitation, oppression, and tyranny, and not against royal weddings.

Third, America and England are allies, not enemies.
Mindslave wrote:
It amazes me that people in this country miss the symbolic irony.

Fourth, the only irony here is in the objections of someone who doesn't seem to realize that a royal wedding in England is not an act of aggression, exploitation, oppression, or tyranny against America or its citizens.

It's just a wedding, for dog's sake! Get over it.

actually I read once that the real reason for the revolutionary war was slavery. The english wanted the colonies to give up their african slaves which they did not keep as indentured servants but as permanant slaves, and washington and others told everybody to free themselves from ever being taxed again. So they fought and won the revolutionary war and washington was president and all that...so what did he do 45 days in office...he created a new tax. People fought and died to be free from taxes, only to be taxed anyway. But the war had nothing to do with taxes it had everything to do with keeping slaves.

but neverless I still find our facination of Engish royalty to be rather strange.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2011, 12:38 am

Royal Wedding was a boring expensive commercial event televised to the world. It was quickly knocked off as the most important world news event with the announcement of Osama Bin Laden's death.

Royal Wedding on Friday. Announcement of Osama Bin Laden' death by President Obama on the Monday, 3 days later.

You would have to be British or have British ancestry to really care much about a ridiculous Shakespearian/Elizabethan theatrical play to the world involving Royal aristocrats. Royal family are a good comedy act from a neutral perspective.

Royal Wedding overshadowed by the announcement of Osama Bin Laden's death. .

psych
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 1:16 pm

i care that so many people would revel in such a sickening display of deferment.

but then if bothers me that the nobility can parade around in front of the general public like that and not meet any hostility. did you know they dont even pay their staff the living wage & almost applied to the emergency fund that exists for people in poverty to heat their homes.. to heat the palace.

but whats more worrying is the 100s of pre-emptive arrests on spurious charges & then the plain-clothes snatch squads can abduct people from, and shut down completely peaceful & good natured republican parties that are km's away from the blue-bloods.

universeofone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2011, 1:43 pm

Not sure why I should care about a wedding involving people I don't know. I don't even care about relatives/friends weddings, for that matter.

Kittendumpling
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2011, 4:18 pm

I thankfully managed to avoid it altogether, never saw any of it. The rabid hype about it irritated me intensely. I wasn't safe on facebook though, people wouldn't shut up about it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 4:47 pm

psych wrote:
i care that so many people would revel in such a sickening display of deferment.

A lot of people up here didn't. That's the point.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 9:20 pm

I can remember sports events I got more excited over, and I'm not a sports guy at all.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 9:25 pm

universeofone wrote:
Not sure why I should care about a wedding involving people I don't know. I don't even care about relatives/friends weddings, for that matter.

Weeding out the weddings topic

I really do not know why royal weddings are public affairs. Charles and Camilla's service was private.

I am not sure why people think it whould be universally known that two people are married.
Cheeky.

I do not like public displays of private events. I did not watch any of the royal weddings in my lifetime. I saw the news recaps and saved some articles for collector value for my descendents--the history/genealogy fascinates me as an interest--but the actual individuals involved are not an issue. this might be an odd way of seeing this but this is me, I guess.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

MyWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2011, 4:46 am

I didn't watch the wedding but I do love reading news. I don't care about the wedding honestly.