RE: Kids w/ Classic Autism, PDD-NOS & Speech Delays

Page 115 of 116 [ 1849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116  Next

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 10:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
However in psychology any early intervention involving infants/children uses behavioural techniques to promote good behaviours (positive reinforcement) or remove undesirable behaviours (negative reinforcement). Secondly (and this is the tricky part) it also requires consistent and involved parenting

Not really. Most early intervention is child-led, which is different from a behaviourist approach. For example, a speech therapist might play whatever the child wants to play while using that activity to provide language modeling by commenting on the child's actions. It's much less directive. Even if the therapist does suggest an activity, the child is free to refuse it.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2021, 6:17 pm

I don't really get why there is so much talk about aba distinguishing ASD traits. You teach skills just like you teach any other kid, apart from the focus and how you break it down to smaller chunks. There is no part in our program that includes stopping autistic behaviour. It's not even aimed at behaviour, it's just matching, creating patterns, drawing, brush teeth etc. They get to stim as much as they like and they definitely don't need to stare at me (they will normally look me more in the eyes than I find comfortable).

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 8:37 pm

Ettina wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
However in psychology any early intervention involving infants/children uses behavioural techniques to promote good behaviours (positive reinforcement) or remove undesirable behaviours (negative reinforcement). Secondly (and this is the tricky part) it also requires consistent and involved parenting

Not really. Most early intervention is child-led, which is different from a behaviourist approach. For example, a speech therapist might play whatever the child wants to play while using that activity to provide language modeling by commenting on the child's actions. It's much less directive. Even if the therapist does suggest an activity, the child is free to refuse it.

I think ultimately it's both. My daughter's speech therapist provides both the direction and constraints for my daughter's speech sessions but concurrently encourages her to explore.

Last edited by cyberdad on 23 Oct 2021, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 8:42 pm

Jon81 wrote:
I don't really get why there is so much talk about aba distinguishing ASD traits. You teach skills just like you teach any other kid, apart from the focus and how you break it down to smaller chunks. There is no part in our program that includes stopping autistic behaviour. It's not even aimed at behaviour, it's just matching, creating patterns, drawing, brush teeth etc. They get to stim as much as they like and they definitely don't need to stare at me (they will normally look me more in the eyes than I find comfortable).

One of the issues for parents is identifying "Autistic behaviour" Vs "dysfunctional behaviour".

e.g. An independent ABA therapist might decide a particular behaviour is undesirable and work on extinguishing it whereas for the parent its not a big deal and they might prefer to spend that time on something else. It can be subjective. Also some behaviours are a result of comorbid conditions e,g, compulsive repetitive behaviours, self-harm or attention issues might be linked to mood, OCD or ADHD etc...

Sallylovestheseashore
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2022, 12:51 pm

I just signed up for this site and could use some help learning how it works. I'm a mom with a 14 year old son with autism. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 3:10 am

Welcome aboard! I'm the lone attendent here.

How is your son going?

knowingtheautist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2022, 11:27 am

Hi had a speech delay and spoke at the age of 3 years old.

There is confusion between those who have speech delay vs those who don't. I was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism.

Hint: For individuals with speech delays, I suggest providing your ASD /PDD-NOS / etc. child a drink he/she likes and keep repeating the word so that sparks interest (e.g. say 'coke' repeatedly while giving him coke) etc.

Hope that helps

Aspie Discovery

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 4:49 pm

knowingtheautist wrote:
Hint: For individuals with speech delays, I suggest providing your ASD /PDD-NOS / etc. child a drink he/she likes and keep repeating the word so that sparks interest (e.g. say 'coke' repeatedly while giving him coke) etc.

It's an interesting observation. I suspect for many kids who are born with a delay it's not a lack of capacity to learn but rather a lack of willingness to express. In adults it's called selective mutism.

In my daughter's case she was classified as "hyperlexic" so we knew she was capable but seemed too distracted or lacked interest, motivation to reciprocate speech,

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2022, 3:35 pm

Cyberdad, I'm starting to see what you meant by ABA only being helpful for skills. I'm not sure we'll ever get to the point where social interaction is going to be taught though. We're still trying to catch up with some of the basic living skills.

We've done stem cell treatment (second round a week ago) and our oldest sons ATEC score went down 25p. They are publishing a paper soon on the research done in that clinic and it's quite ground breaking. Not a cure but the kids improve dramatically. Our son all of a sudden speeded up his learning and also improved his comprehensive language. We also met other parents there who were in for a second round. All very pleased with the outcome.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 4:31 pm

Jon81 wrote:
Not a cure but the kids improve dramatically. Our son all of a sudden speeded up his learning and also improved his comprehensive language. We also met other parents there who were in for a second round. All very pleased with the outcome.

I think Mona Pereth (on a another thread) made the point that developmental delay does not mean intellectual disability. It might be the treatment helped but your son's spontaneous brain maturation might also have contributed.

For us as parents its very hard to work out what worked? but if its showing results and it not harmful then keep going.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2022, 3:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
Jon81 wrote:
Not a cure but the kids improve dramatically. Our son all of a sudden speeded up his learning and also improved his comprehensive language. We also met other parents there who were in for a second round. All very pleased with the outcome.

I think Mona Pereth (on a another thread) made the point that developmental delay does not mean intellectual disability. It might be the treatment helped but your son's spontaneous brain maturation might also have contributed.

For us as parents its very hard to work out what worked? but if its showing results and it not harmful then keep going.

Yes, the treatment is extremely safe. No incident has been reported. After our first treatment or boy had quite a lot of pain, which made us reluctant to go for another round. The benefits outweighed the pain. This time around he was fine, no pain at all. Just running around enjoying life.

It's very difficult to know what is helping. If you want to single out a treatment you need to stick to one and see the outcome. And still you won't be able to truly know if it helped. I'm not 100% convinced myself about the stem cells, even though I see the results before my own eyes. You keep asking other parents what their experiences was. The other parent that we met at the clinic said his son had dropped a staggering 45% on his ATEC. He's now able to cut the toe nails on his son, something that had been a struggle for 11 years. You could argue this would have happened anyway, but it's still a very interesting coincidence? There were of course a lot more improvements on aggression and so on. He was so pleased there was actually no doubt about the effect. They'd done ABA for 5 years, bio-medical, you name it. Nothing had helped as much.

The most interesting thing is it also shows results on much older kids. In a mini study a 14 year old started vocalizing. That's not very common. More high functioning kids will be more aware of their surrounding and willing to communicate. All these things are only noticeable for people close to the kids. So it's not easy to measure it in a number, like you could with other medical diagnosis.

It's all a very new field and I didn't find anything previously written in this thread. I thought it would be suiting to add it since this is a huge document with ASD info. I'm not here trying to convince anyone into doing SCT. As I said, I'm not 100% convinced myself. It's just very interesting and it would be heaven if it could help our kids.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2022, 3:47 am

I wanted to add a bit more info on his progress. We had a meeting pretty soon after the treatment with our special ed. We were looking at a couple of ABA exercises for our son. A follow up meeting took place about a month after and one of them commented that they couldn't believe the rapid change. At 2 months after the treatment I've got a short film clip of our special ed talking about the incredible improvement and how things that were more or less impossible to do a couple of weeks ago now seemed simple.

My son is still far from being able to attend main stream school. We will have difficulties that are hugely challenging.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 5:56 am

Keep us posted about the stem cell treatment. Sweden may be more advanced with this type of treatment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 5:57 am

Jon81 wrote:
I wanted to add a bit more info on his progress. We had a meeting pretty soon after the treatment with our special ed. We were looking at a couple of ABA exercises for our son. A follow up meeting took place about a month after and one of them commented that they couldn't believe the rapid change. At 2 months after the treatment I've got a short film clip of our special ed talking about the incredible improvement and how things that were more or less impossible to do a couple of weeks ago now seemed simple.

My son is still far from being able to attend main stream school. We will have difficulties that are hugely challenging.

Any improvement is good news. Stay positive and celebrate the changes however small.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2022, 2:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Keep us posted about the stem cell treatment. Sweden may be more advanced with this type of treatment.

Sweden is not doing any kind of research on autism and stem cell therapy combined. They don't want to advance in any area other than being completely dull. Swedens take on autism can be described as building a house but not giving it a roof because it would be too expensive. What we get is some ABA guidance twice a month and then we're left with taking care of the rest. It's normally the family + the kinder garden staff that get to deal with the issues. That is if you manage to convince them these kids need special education and not just being left to stim all day and expected to join in on activites.

We went to a private clinic in Austria. These treatments are carried out on a couple of different sites around the world. They differ a bit in the treatment. I'm no expert but mainly it's down to where they harvest the stem cells from. You could either pick it from your own body or from the umbilical cord blood (donor cells). The injection is either through the spinal cord or just intravenous or a mix.

I'd like to share the mini study with you here: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 20188/full

That's four children. They will have published the larger study by the end of the year; 500 participants. My son is also part of that study. So basically the study is paid by parents seeking help for their kids. €11 000 is the cost of one treatment.

Quote:
Acknowledgments

We gratefully acknowledge the participation of the parents and for allowing us to learn from their stories. We would like to thank the anesthetist for his outstanding performance in pediatric anesthesia leading to minimize any postoperative side effects.

Conflict of Interest

The authors declare that the research was conducted in the absence of any commercial or financial relationships that could be construed as a potential conflict of interest.

Conclusions

Our and previous results by other authors are promising, but mandate further investigations in a larger controlled cohort of patients including objective methods such as biomarkers to possibly better understand the underlying individual dysfunction and potentially allow a stratification of those patients who may benefit most from this treatment strategy.

Quote:
An important detail reported while interviewing the parents was that children started to respond much better and quicker to their speech and behavior therapy 3–6 months following SCT. Published data suggest that SCT reduces the immunological inflammatory disease of the brain associated with ASD and thus, opens the door for effectiveness of ABA and speech therapy. Indeed, a recent proteomic analysis study discovered nine serum proteins to be significantly different in ASD compared to typically developing boys and a significant correlation with ASD severity according to ADOS (24). Possible mechanisms for the way stem cells improve autism have been discussed more extensively by Liu et al. (25). In summary, two mechanisms seem to prevail: (a) reset of the immunological system and (b) improved vascular perfusion of the brain, two mechanisms that are addressed both by the stem cells but also by the bone marrow plasma, rich in growth hormones.

There is a large body of data pointing at immune-related genetically coupled risk factors and events associated with ASD. A cascade of events, leading disruption of neuronal maturation and dysfunctional networking through dysfunctional astrocytic neuronal support. A comprehensive review on this topic was recently published by Liu et al. (25). More interestingly, neuropathological investigations have recently provided evidence in support of the inflammatory theory, describing perivascular lymphocytic infiltration in the cerebral white, gray matter, and neuronal leptomeninges, this infiltrates were quantitatively accompanied by a corresponding magnitude of astrocytic activation in the affected regions of the brain. In Addition they reported significant loss on neurons and glial cells of the cerebral gray matter immediately adjacent to the leptomeningeal space. Brain micropathology also involved periventricular and other cerebral spinal fluid brain interfaces and vascular ependymal structures, all contributing to a functional disruption of the blood brain barrier (26, 27).

However, in ASD it seems that the overexpression of specific histocompatibility (HLA) genes (chromosome 6) and particularly activating KIR genes (chromosome 19) play an important role in promoting the cellular autoimmune cascade in brain tissue (28). The overexpression of the genes as compared to the general population provides a molecular basis for understanding events triggering a pathological immune response to viral or microbial antigens. BM-derived SCT is capable of targeting these pathological processes in the brain without having immediate and mid-term adverse events. The longevity of the effect of BM-derived SCT on suppressing inflammation and derailed autoimmune processes in the central nervous system (29) requires further investigations in larger cohorts. Furthermore, it is speculated if repeated treatment may have a cumulative effect on ASD. In addition, long-term observation are needed in children following autologous BM-derived SCT, though low likelihood, to rule out potential undesirable complications. Addition issues that require further elucidation involve (a) the efficacy and safety of employed cell types i.e., allogenic vs. autologous, umbilical cord-derived vs. autologous BM-derived, (b) the route of administration (intravenous vs. intrathecal), and (c) the added value of injecting BM-derived plasma. Presently, the rather limited available literature indicates more favorable results when employing intrathecal over intravenous route, probably because with the later, most of the cells will be filtered by the lung parenchyma during their first blood passage.

Autologous SCT have a biological advantages over allogenic stem cells and resemble a novel and promising treatment option for autistic children and adolescent not benefiting from conventional symptom-based and behavioral therapy. In ASD affected children providing intrathecal SCT at an earlier age should be associated with a higher benefit, as the brain plasticity and neurogenesis are at their maximum (30, 31), while perivascular damage to the neuronal circuitry is minimal.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Last edited by Jon81 on 19 Sep 2022, 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2022, 2:27 pm

I believe we haven't even defined yet what the underlying causes of autism is or what area we should be exploring. Psychology is not just the answer here. The word Behavior therapy leaves a stinking and sour smell in my mouth. What if we are only treating the symptoms. Putting gloves on a child who's hitting himself - that's not progress. We need to learn more about what is causing the onset, and I'm not excluding vaccines from this discussion!

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022