RE: Kids w/ Classic Autism, PDD-NOS & Speech Delays

Page 116 of 116 [ 1849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

Jon81 wrote:
I believe we haven't even defined yet what the underlying causes of autism is or what area we should be exploring. Psychology is not just the answer here. The word Behavior therapy leaves a stinking and sour smell in my mouth. What if we are only treating the symptoms. Putting gloves on a child who's hitting himself - that's not progress. We need to learn more about what is causing the onset, and I'm not excluding vaccines from this discussion!

I agree, there is research I have posted which alludes to a genetic component in autism. What interests me is that it is not easily traceable when going back. People who do family trees going back hundreds of years tracing their ancestry find no evidence of any of their ancestors being "autistic" or at least classically autistic. However it would also be possible that differences displayed through classical autism would be considered feeble minded in olden days and its unlikely those with the condition would have got married and passed on the gene. So how did it travel and persist across multiple generations?

One theory is that modern chemicals trigger a particular gene during development that leads to autism.
Studies in identical twins have shown that autism has a strong genetic basis: If one identical twin has autism, the other one has it, too, as much as 90 percent of the time. In 64 of the 78 twin pairs, both twins have an autism diagnosis.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/early ... ty-autism/

What is exciting about this type of research is that the results suggest that the quality of life of autistic children is not hardwired by their genetics. There is room/scope for their condition to change.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 4:08 pm

End of an era

Well my daughter has finally decided not to continue with highschool. The school system served it's purpose. Goodbye.

She's 17 and wants to attend vocational college. Since she;s skipping her final highschool year we will enrol into a transition program

We are now entering into the unknown

I'm also done with this sticky thread, after 11 years of looking after it.....Jono, I officially pass the baton to you my friend. I won't return here again.

knowingtheautist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2022, 4:08 pm

No one in my family has a history of autism like me. I was the first one to have it and I spoke at the age of 3 and a half, which is quite late. The type of autism I have is High Functioning Autism

If you want to learn more about me and how I experienced High Functioning Autism type of ASD, follow my red diamond Aspie Discovery icon.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 10:32 pm

To cyberdad, I wish you luck in this new chapter. Thank you for so many years of listening and support here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 11:45 pm

Washi wrote:
To cyberdad, I wish you luck in this new chapter. Thank you for so many years of listening and support here.

knowingtheautist

17 Jan 2023, 6:34 pm

I thank you all for I have learn a lot in this thread about speech delays and how it can be daunting for parents to endure worrying about when a child will speak, for so long, and only finding out about his/her ASD diagnosis later in childhood.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 12:50 am

knowingtheautist wrote:
I thank you all for I have learn a lot in this thread about speech delays and how it can be daunting for parents to endure worrying about when a child will speak, for so long, and only finding out about his/her ASD diagnosis later in childhood.

Thanks, I've been hoping another parent can take over from me since 2018 but no takers so far?

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2023, 4:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
knowingtheautist wrote:

Thanks, I've been hoping another parent can take over from me since 2018 but no takers so far?

I saw you passed it over to me and I'm ready to step up to the plate if you wish. I'm not sure what my prerogative is or what I'm suppose to do though. I don't think you should leave the thread, we still want you around.

So, what's happened to your daughter? Is she not given enough support in school? I remember you said she's really bright. Vocational college translates to education aimed at learning a trade and less focus on academia. Did she find something she want to do? Seems like you're not very happy about what's going on.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 5:39 pm

Hi Jon
My daughter is turning 18 this year so I guess people can read her documented progress from childhood to adulthood but now it's time to pass the baton to another parent. I'm happy to hang around on WP but I don't feel I should be the moderator of this sticky thread anymore.

She's catching public transport in the mornings and fortunately she has a good ability to navigate using online bus/train/tram timetables In the past she's lost her wallet at school. So now she carries a money purse. I pick her up in the afternoons.

She's doing a mixed classes this year, 2 days a week vocational training (retail/kitchen) and next year she's tossing up between computers or accounts/book keeping. Her close friends are now old enough to go to bars and drink, I have been trying insulate her from that lifestyle. Her school life is mixed. On the one hand she has been excelling in sport and is trying to get re-elected as a sports captain. But she is easily distracted in the classroom and is getting into fights and conflict with bullies. Bullying has been an ongoing issue in the mainstream school she's in (I picked this school because they are one of the few who accommodate special needs/individual learning plans)

She has managed to make friends with Aspies and NTs but she easily falls out and makes enemies within weeks. So she's still really reliant on us as parents. And, frustratingly her social/verbal skills still are a work in progress. She's still young and we are trying to put her in position to maximise her potential. The rest is really up to her.