RE: Kids w/ Classic Autism, PDD-NOS & Speech Delays

Page 115 of 116 [ 1726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 1:33 am

Hi mom2randall

Welcome to our autism message stick in cyberspace :)

It's always a good sign if your 5 yr old son is making progress in speech, Keep an eye on what interests him and use it as a pretext for stories and conversations.

I know it's not always possible but keeping your son in mainstream school (at least for primary) would be more beneficial than putting him into special ed. This is particularly important if your child is impressionable as he will be looking for role models/peers at this young age.

Mainstream schooling was beneficial for my daughter although we had had an extremely tough time...

Anyway whatever school you decide to send him just make the most of resources such as speech therapy. BTW how do you find schooling in South Africa? how do they cater for special needs?

Mom2Randall
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2019, 7:05 am

Hi :D My kids love their school.The school are great and very discipline.The teacher are good and always open to help you.Lots of extra mural activities and sport.Its a state school and school fees are also affordable.The school always helping the children that don't have lunch.So it's nice that they think of the children who have little.They start from GrR - 7 Afrikaans 1st Language.High schools Gr8 -12.Every ones a years they providing health services.So that's great :D .The special needs state school think premary works in groups and high school Gr8-10.Private is expensive works in small group 15children a classes but will finish Gr12.I will prefer to keep him as long as possible in the school he is in.I know it's gonna be hard on him.If it not working for him I would rather do home school.Because most of the private special needs school are far and will struggle with their activities.I like to be there when they do sports and stuff.I feel positive about him he really doing good so far and is very proud of him. :D Yes I will do speech therapy this year did see one 9month ago.He wasn't comfortable and was very nervous.I think he is ready and more relax.He don't like docters and one day on our way to the docter he tells me.Mommy I can speak.He speaks alot but leaves sounds out of words.I do my best to correct him with words he struggle.He like to build stuff out of any materials he can find.He knows how to work with computers and tablets.He like to watch DIY youtude video's :mrgreen: I can see alot of approving in he's speech. :heart:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 7:30 am

Hi Mom2Randall,

I think it's great your son has his sister in school. I think it's also beneficial that your son will be exposed to Afrikaans as well as English, something that isn't studied enough is the benefit of bilingualism to enhance speech in kids on the spectrum.

The fact he is trying to speak at 5 is a really good sign. Stay positive and just spend a lot of time engaging in normal conversation you would have with a 5 yr old. It also helps reinforce what he's learning in speech therapy.

Yep my daughter loves DIY videos, but mostly on cooking and cars :lol:

Mom2Randall
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2019, 8:42 am

hi cyberdad,

How old is your daughter and how she doing? :D

Jon81
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2019, 11:11 pm

Excuse me for just stepping in like this, but I wanted to say welcome to this thread to you Mom2Randall :) Glad to see more life into the thread.
Your kid seem to be getting on quite well. I'm not an expert on autism but many things you describe about your son is remarkable such as the great motor skills. These kids normally are clumsy as h... Already using the toilet, likes playing with his sister, walked early. Wow, all that is great stuff. And that you found a way to connect by exercising together is nothing but amazing. I will credit you for all of that as I know what kind of job needs to be done to get anywhere.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 2:20 am

My daughter is 13 and is attending a mainstream school but she is on an ILP.

She participates in activities at school and is fairly independent. She has a lot of catching up in the area of speech/social skills and so hasn't made any long term friends yet. But certainly a big improvement from being non-verbal up to the age of 6.

She loves to read, do physical activity, taken up horse riding and rock climbing in the last 12 months. Also very musical. When she is "chilling out" she likes watching youtube (not unlike many adults) while hiding under the dooner cover.

Mom2Randall
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2019, 11:11 am

Hi ... :D So glad your daughter is making such a progress and wish her the best! :D The horse riding is great there are so many mental benefits to horseback riding.All children develop at their own pace and in the own way.When I do my daughter homework it's easy and when it's comes to his homeworks I need to put alot of work in to get him understand clearly.They gets loads of homework.I make learning fun through game based learning.I'am very proud because his grades for this term was pretty good. :D And last post I said he can almost write his name and he can without showing or helping :D We are busy with his surname.I'am very positive person and know he gonna do this.We have a difficult time at counting and colours.He is easy to make friends but will be shy. :D But when you invite friends to his house no problems he's easy and interact with them.I think the fact that so many friends of this sister visiting is good.Always around children :D He is always around girls so his best friend at school is a girl to :lol: He likes to do little pranks and likes to tease his father telling him mommy is mine I get lots of hugs and kisses.Sometimes he will call his father and show him all the hugs he giving me :lol: He can get a little jealous when I give his sister the last goodnite kiss he will get up and give the last kiss.Sometimes it takes 10min to put them in bed because they are battling who's giving the last of whatever it is. :D But it's a good laugh.He sleeps good.He never wanted to take a day nap.I try it but it never work.His sister have take day nap till 4years old but he never.He is a little helper always insists carry the bags it's soo cute even when it's very heavy :D I got advice trying tongue twister.I gonna give it a try :D Now I only give omgega and vitamins pills.The midicine that's really works for him was Xcel.I try my best to raise him to be confident,strong and just be yourself. :D

Mom2Randall
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2019, 11:15 am

Thanks for all the positive comments!! ! :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 1:13 am

Yes having a sibling who is active in his life is going to be very helpful.

It's also a relief that when you and your husband are not there somebody else will keep an eye on your son.

At the moment we are by ourselves. Our immediate family don't live in the same state of Australia but because of work opportunities we have to stay put.

Mom2Randall
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2019, 9:53 am

Hi,did your daughter get any diagnosis?What were your daughter first symptoms?At what age did she get a diagnosis?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 3:42 am

My daughter was first formally diagnosed with Kanner's autism at 5. Prior to that I suspected she was showing signs of language delay although ironically she started speaking words at 10 months old (elephant and hippopotamus) and she was hyperlexic being numerate and literate and able spell aforementioned animal words at 18 months. Our then speech therapist and OT literally told us we were bad parents for not getting her diagnosed earlier.

Jon81
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2019, 5:12 pm

Son is approaching the age of 3 1/2 now and he's getting faster. He has the funniest running posture I have ever seen. He starts off with staring down on his feet to make sure they're in line with each other. Then raises one arm and one leg, like a soldier and patrols off :lol: He can run long distances as well. I think he's starting to map up his world because he's now aware of how to get himself to places within a radius of 2km.

The running is pretty tiring as he's unaware of dangers. He was nearly killed 3 days ago as he just took off when eating ice cream. It happened at a small ice cream stand located by a pretty quiet street. As he starts running out I see there's a car approaching at biking speed so I'm pretty sure the driver will take notice and stop. As the car comes closer I notice the driver is not paying attention to the road, he is looking towards the ice cream stand. I scream as loud as I can and for some reason my son pays attention and stops, turns around and look at me wondering what I want. The driver of the car reacts on my scream and hits the break but it had been too late had my son kept going instead of stopping. Really close call that. Now we've invested in a chain that we attach to the wrist for situations like that. I'm also starting to think about GPS for the future when he will be able to climb the fence which we installed in may :(

ABA is not going as smooth anymore. He's not especially interested in solving puzzles or listening to instructions. I'm just hoping he's not losing those skills. He's improving a bit in social awareness. Not as scared of other children anymore and he's also able to look at things when I call for his attention. Usually an airplane or train that show up and I try to train joint attention. Speech is going extremely slow. He is only able to spell out 2-3 letters of a word that he want to say, and all words are connected to something he really wants. For example, if he wants an ice cream (swedish word glass) he will only say "gllll" instead of glass. Honestly I can't even imagine how it will be possible for him to speak. It feels so far away :(

The biggest sorrow right now is the fact that his baby brother is not getting any recognition from him. Baby brother is now giving up on trying to socially engage with him, which is really sad. It's also possible that he's regressing into autism as he's showing loads of signs. He's extremely hard to catch and have a lot of problem keeping eye contact. He's non verbal at 1 1/2 with no signs of any words. There is a bit of difference between the two in regards of connection though. However, the baby brother is not able to do any of the things the autistic brother was doing at the same age, such as pointing out things in books, looking at books with real intense. So much alike and at the same time so different. I never understod that kind of statement until I had my two boys.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 7:29 pm

I think you should read some of the other stories on ABA on this forum to get an idea that it's fairly hit and miss.

My wife and I trained in ABA and found first hand it has some benefits but plenty of limitations.

People who use ABA with their children over many years may not pick up that developmental changes in the child's cognitive maturity and ability to reason become more advanced and the child may develop their own insight. Repetitive training can sometimes also have negative repercussions.

But I guess at the moment it's all we have.

Jon81
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2019, 4:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
I think you should read some of the other stories on ABA on this forum to get an idea that it's fairly hit and miss.

My wife and I trained in ABA and found first hand it has some benefits but plenty of limitations.

People who use ABA with their children over many years may not pick up that developmental changes in the child's cognitive maturity and ability to reason become more advanced and the child may develop their own insight. Repetitive training can sometimes also have negative repercussions.

But I guess at the moment it's all we have.

Thanks for input on that matter. I'm always trying to find more information on ABA but then I tend to only want to read the positive things. Is there any special thread where ABA is discussed in general where people actually come to some conclusion? We've done parts of ABA but then I really don't know if it's really ABA or stuff you'd be doing anyway. I mean, what kind of parent wouldn't teach their child to stop when you tell them to?

In the manual there's a lot of things that require speech and we're not there yet. I am really longing to hear him say something so if we get there I would love to do some of these exercises where you ask your child this and that. As for now we're trying to expand play and social skills. I've taken some ideas from Eikonabridge when in play. Problem is he's not obsessed with one single subject - yet?

Either way, news for this thread is he's now up on the toilet without being scared!! He didn't poo in it, was just sitting up on the ring and playing with some cars on a table infront of him. As mentioned earlier he was potty trained by 7months but lost the will of using the potty at about 2 years. The feeling is he just matured a little bit and made the choice himself - as with a lot of other things such as eating with his hands. We never used any ABA to teach him these stuff.

Could you explain a bit more about developmental changes in cognitive maturity and ability to reason?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 9:30 am

Hi Jon81.

So ABA is a fancy word for operant conditioning. Essentially learning new skills through consequences.

So going to toilet/potty independently is rewarded with something your child likes. In theory this should work by concurrently using negative reinforcement when he doesn't follow instructions. Usually a "no" or in some cases removing reward or time out etc...over time he will "get it"

As you say parents have been doing this for centuries but in ABA it's evolved into a systematic form skills/learning.

I don't think there's a thread on ABA (this is probably it) as WP is an Aspergers orientated online platform (if you haven't already noticed). I started this thread for this purpose as I figure if even one parent gets benefit then it's worth it.