How did you spend your weekends in high school?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2011, 3:38 am

Just expending on the "what did you do during lunch hour at high school" thread....

I played Nintendo, watched a lot of cheesy sitcoms in re-runs, read library books, played with my neighbor's young children, and wrote in my journal. I think I went to a classmate's house once during my entire four years of high school and that was for a required school project.

Last edited by AllieKat on 04 May 2011, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 3:42 am

At home playing video games or being on the computer and watching TV. That was what I did most of the time.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 May 2011, 3:53 am

* Read books
* Watched TV
* Played on the Coleco Gemini or Odyssey II or later the Commodore 64
* Went to a store relevant to my interests
* Engaged in my interests

I actually went to the mall as a teenager...but not to hang out with anyone. One of the three stores in the Portland metropolitan area that catered to my hobby was in that mall.

I do remember being told I should go outside "because it's a nice day" very frequently, but I didn't care about "nice days." Also considering I burn easily, "nice days" meant "hazardous environment."

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2011, 3:56 am

Now that you mentioned that, I did spend some time outdoors, either roller blading or riding my bicycle always by myself of course.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 May 2011, 3:58 am

I did ride my bicycle(s) although I think I wrecked two.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 4:57 am

Marching band! :D

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 5:23 am

I spent most of my weekend time at that age in front of a computer. It was an Atari 400. It had an awful "membrane" keyboard which I nonetheless eventually wore out.

I grew up out in the (semi-)country, so I could shoot my pellet gun and slingshot in the backyard. One time I built a "crossbow" type slingshot out of an unfinished rifle stock my dad had given me, and some parts out of the garage. My dad had a lot of tools, and I had access to them, which was really good. When I was 16 I build a recumbent bike (which worked, but weighed a ton since I didn't have welding equipment and so had to bolt everything together). Also built some windmills, and some electronics projects.

All that makes it sound like I was busier than I really was, though. Most of my projects were smaller than that bike. There were also plenty of long, boring summer days of laying in my tree-fort (tree-platform), looking up at the sky, or riding my bike.

My craziest project ever was trying to turn a weed-whacker into an RC helicopter (got way too expensive to complete).

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 6:18 am

Surfing.

Or thinking about surfing.

Or sleeping because I had just finished surfing for hours and hours and I was exhausted.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 6:19 am

I've spent my weekends working on my art, hidden away in my bedroom protected from my high school peers and anything that reminded me of them.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 10:41 am

Alone in my room. Possibly studying

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 10:56 am

Working on my father's property out in country clearing brush, planting trees, riding around on my quad, and shooting things with a pellet rifle. :twisted:

Last edited by Todesking on 05 May 2011, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2011, 11:20 am

My special interest was repairing old TV sets at that time (started that when I was about 10, and continued it into my first career; through my mid 30s. ) So after school and on weekends, I would spend most of my time in our garage, monkeying around with an old TV set, then I'd put an ad in the paper and sell it, and then go to garage sales and look in alleys for more TVs. Loved it!! !! No other kids bugging me, no bruised ribs from baseballs I can't catch, and no broken face falling off a skateboard like the other kids all had to go through once in awhile. And I made decent $$$ as a kid with the TV repair too. By the end of high school, my special interests for passtimes at least, migrated to motorcycles and weightlifting. I did those things alone too, which seems odd to other guys into motocross, who all want to COMPETE. I never wanted to compete... I just did my own thing. Same with the weightlifting and bodybuilding. I've never set foot in a gym, and never entered a contest.

Charles

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:16 pm

When I wasn't at home on my computer. I was involved in Technical Theater and would spend half of my weekends going to school on Saturdays to do some stagework/construction and all of that. Not just for the required hours needed to pass the course, but to have some sort of social atmosphere to be in and possibly make friends.

What a f*****g waste of time that turned out to be! :x

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

04 May 2011, 12:28 pm

On the weekends, I'd usually rent the newest video games and beat them in one sitting, or play multiplayer with my brother and his friends (this is back when GoldenEye for N64 came out). Or I'd surf the internet or play tennis outside.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:37 pm

I didn't have a driver's license, lived in the middle of nowhere, and having a home computer was completely out of the question.

I read books, wrote stories, drew pictures, rode my bike while in my fantasy world (real bike--I just was somewhere else in my head), or just daydreamed.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:46 pm

Played computer games and was sometimes called off to watch some crappy tv show with my parents. :P