Left 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Both/Mixed 64%  64%  [ 14 ]
Not on the spectrum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

n3rdgir1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2011, 12:21 pm

I've thought about side dominance a lot, and it seems to be a common discussion with people on the spectrum. I was curious about a number of things and wanted to see if anyone else experiences anything like this.

I'm ambidexterous, but I use each hand for different things. Each eye, each foot, each hand, all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I have no dominance for any side overall, and my body switches constantly throughtout my day.

Left eye: More suseptable to the flicking-lights-equals-vertigo issue I have, more sensitive to bright lights and certain colors, able to visually count into the double digits instantly when the left eye is in charge, I use it when I'm looking at more than one thing (or the horizon for example, something that isn't one object)

Right eye: Used to look at single objects or detail, picks up things out of place faster, I use it when I'm looking for individual objects, it's my better "shooting eye"

Left hand/arm: Very good at motion parallel to my palm or side-to-side (piano, guitar, frisbee, reaching for things on a table), doesn't work when I'm looking in a mirror (always goes in the wrong direction, like when I'm brushing my hair), better fine motor skills with small objects

Right hand/arm: Better at up/down motions or anything overhead like throwing a ball, works fine in a mirror, better fine motor skills with tools like pens, chopsticks, or screwdrivers (I can write with both, but my penmanship is better with my right, possibly from getting more practice)

I pitch righty, hit lefty. I usually reach for things with the closest hand, my left if they're the same distance, my right if it's up on a shelf.

Left foot/leg: I lead with left when dancing, doing martial arts stuff, or boxing

Right foot/leg: I lead with my right when walking (kind of like my arm, my right leg is better at anything forward/backward and my left is better at side-to-side)

Not sure if this is an apraxia or autism thing, thought I'd ask.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 1:17 pm

I don't have the same up-down, side-to-side thing going on, but I am basically ambidextrous. It might be a little more training than nature, as I used to play basketball, but I can still use either hand for any task except writing (my handwriting with my left hand is incredibly sloppy).

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 1:30 pm

Like I already wrote in the other topic, I would consider myself to be ambidextrous. I usually use the hand hat is most suitable for a task (opening bottles, turning keys), but I rarely have a problem switching hands if I have to.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 2:11 pm

I'm ambidextrous on the piano, especially. I can actually play stuff that would give most people at my skill level a conniption because I can somewhat keep two melodies going at the same time.

Still not as proficient at normal stuff as I'd like. I just have that little hat trick.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2011, 2:13 pm

Oh.
I can't say what is my side dominance because i'm almost fully ambidextrous.
Hand and eyes is the same. Somethimes i prefer one, somethimes the other, it depends from weather.

For hand i tend to use more the right one in front of people, but i have no problems to use left, even when i have to use scissors. I write rarely because i have difficult to write for long time, but i draw with both.

For eyes, oculist has said that if i wasn't ambidextrous i would probably have amblyopia

At middle school teacher has said that i'm left-footed, but i kick with both

Left ear is strongly dominant.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 7:45 am

i would call myself 'undeveloped ambydexterous'
i clearly have a prefference for my right side for just about everything (except cutting my meat, strangely enough), and my right eye/ear are the more sensitive one, but almost everything i can do right-handed, i can do lefthanded as well, at only slightly reduced proficiency.

as for grabbing, i also indeed just use whatever hand happens to be closest or unoccupied; i haven't noticed a preference for reaching high or sideways though...