My new job is not working out, but I don't know what else :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 3:27 pm

I am terrible at my new job (which is a crappy, low-paying one anyway).....I think I'm going to get fired. I was unemployed for slightly over a year before getting this one and now I'm going to be back in the same predicament.

Any ideas? I'm still in training right now, but I'm just not processing information like everyone else is....apparently I'm dumber than than them despite the fact that I have a master's degree.

Ugh.

IMCarnochan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2011, 5:12 pm

Why do you think you are going to be fired?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 5:29 pm

The crappy low-paid jobs are often the hardest jobs---by any reasonable measure. The bosses are often authoritarian idiots. There is a lack of an interchange between theory and practice. There's just a lack of interest on the part of most managers with what the work involves. So, they tend to just repeat the instructions, either nicely or yelling.

That is the baseline for most crappy, entry-level jobs.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 6:00 pm

In a zen turnaround, do you think you could try less hard and skim? I mean, really, many of the fellow people in your training class are probably doing the equivalent of plugging numbers into formulas, rather than trying to learn the science as it were (a mistake I often made).

And I've found, these kind of jobs, there is minimum overlay between the training and the job itself. Make it through the training, might get lucky and end up with a boss who's a halfway reasonable individual. :lol:

And the same time, maybe do a job hunt your terms for a good job and/or start a business out of your home or car that you can begin inexpensively? (80% of new businesses fail, straight up, proceed with caution)

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 7:26 pm

To give a little more detail,

This is a call-center job....NOT taking calls yet...still in training (and will be for awhile). I'm doing worse on the quizzes than most everyone in the class....the quizzes don't really test knowledge....they test your ability to find information in their system. Not sure why I'm so bad at it, but I am.

And before anyone says, a "call-center job is not a good fit for an Aspy," I have two things to say. First, there is no outbound calling at this job...it's just receiving calls. Second, I didn't really have a choice...I had been unemployed since January '10 because my degrees are worthless and all employers care about is experience, which I lack being only 28 (well..almost) and having spent six years in college.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 8:56 am

There are different ways of memorizing stuff--some people are visual and do best with pictures--others are great with numbers, and can find things quickly by tagging stuff with abstract labels instead. Just to name two. You may need to experiment with different methods to find what works best for you.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 10:35 am

And there are different thresholds, and at a certain point, you get good at it.

(And what I sometimes recommend when I tutor math, try less hard but try diagonally.)

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 5:54 am

Ya i was going to say call centre jobs are not good for aspies
because its all about interacting, communication, fast thinking which we Aspie's cant process
i can understand ur compulsion
but side by side i think u should try for some back office job also like paper work one.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 7:41 am

Quote:
fast thinking

Yup....this is my problem. I'm slower finding answers than everyone else.

Quote:
but side by side i think u should try for some back office job also like paper work one.

Agree 1000% and I've told vocational rehab this, but they got me this instead. Ugh.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 7:46 am

That sucks. I hope you can find something else soon. I'd rather rot in the gutter than work in a call centre.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 8:29 am

It could be that the fact of working in an office, with peripheral noise going on around you is dividing your ability to concentrate. I always find that I work far better in an environment where the noise is controlled.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 9:10 am

SadAspy wrote:
Quote:

Agree 1000% and I've told vocational rehab this, but they got me this instead. Ugh.

forget the rehab then search something on your own......especially thru online job sites
there are lot of data entry jobs listing online

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 9:31 am

hale bopp wrote:
That sucks. I hope you can find something else soon. I'd rather rot in the gutter than work in a call centre.

If it had been the type where YOU CALL PEOPLE, I would agree with you. I thought I could do this because it was only taking inbound calls.

mgran wrote:
It could be that the fact of working in an office, with peripheral noise going on around you is dividing your ability to concentrate. I always find that I work far better in an environment where the noise is controlled.

Nope, that's not it. I'm not on the floor yet...I'm just in a classroom. :)

namaste wrote:
forget the rehab then search something on your own......especially thru online job sites
there are lot of data entry jobs listing online

As inept as voc rehab is, I don't think this is a good idea either. I've TRIED to find jobs on my own and have applied for several data entry jobs, but nothing has ever come up. The only job I've gotten on my own is teaching ESL in Korea, which I guess I have no choice but to take.

It may be that I'm not getting those lower-level jobs because I'm overqualified. I'm overqualified for the call center job, but like I said, voc rehab got it for me.

takeapart
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2011, 10:52 am

I think you will get on alright because you are aware of your limits and abilities,
give yourself a bit of time to see how it goes, it's not a race. The other people
on the job aren't superhuman.