I think this is a bad idea. 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
I wanna wait an' see. 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
I wanna wait an' see. 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 42

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 11:02 am

That was before. Martin Luther King's segregation law stated that girls and boys could use the same bathrooms because that was a violation of human rights.

Today, the equal statement remains true, but the separate statement does not. Equality is a very important factor in our lifetime today, and it will remain true.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 6:04 pm

I brought up the segregation issue as a descriptor of how it is to classify it, it was just a comparision.

There are certain items of discussion that are more for guy talk then other items of discussion. Segregation in a social sense is wrong in certain circumstances, still yet there are groups and clubs for instance for only black folk having to do with black folk issues. You don't really see white folk trying to join for a black folk group having to do with black folk issues..

In the same regard though properly differentiated what was wrong was separate schools, drinking fountains and what not for black and white folk, that was wrong. There are girl schools and boy only schools. Then again there are sports like a soap boy derby where girls have joined as well despite the name of the sport.

Women and men have different bathrooms because it is not appropriate for men to see women pee or poop. Yet if the women’s bathroom is full, the guys should vacate the men’s bathroom for the lady, that’s just being considerate.

Men issues are men issues just as women issues are women issues such as periods and what not. A guy does not have a period and a lady might find it uncomfortable for guys to be member of these discussions and might prefer to speak with other lady’s only. Such is the same with certain guy discussions designated in an area for just that.

When it is fair and equal, such as a forum for guys and one for girls there is no discrimination. It's more gender appropriate for items of discussion for comfort and one’s preference with regards to items of discussion. On this forum as a whole there are plenty of forums for both sexes, just there are two specific for genders to feel more comfortable discussing certain items of business.

A male with an erectile dysfunction or other sexual disorder might prefer to speak with other males then girls. Though if he chooses then for his own preference of comfort place the post in a forum for both sexes.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 6:18 pm

I wish we had more sophisticated polling with demographic breakdowns. Where are all those women who wanted their own place? Is it exclusively men who think this is a bad idea? If so, why? Is it that left out feeling that Yupa experiences? This is another one of those things that I feel naive about. I just really don't get why this is such a big deal for some people. But I'm very comfortable allowing other people the freedom to do what they want, as long as they aren't hurting others, i.e. engaging in personal attacks. Are other people not so comfortable allowing such a high level of personal freedom?

- Emerson

sc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 6:36 pm

I think it is equal and fair to have a forum group for women issues and discussions and one group for men issues and discussions so that those who feel more comfortable discussing specific issues with others of gender similarity to feel comfortable.

People are naturally nosey and don't want to feel left out. Still yet there should be respect towards another's comfort with regards to this. The freedom to discuss such issues with the sensitivity and privacy should be warranted and as well respected mutually and equally.

There is a difference I think in the law having to do with publicly owned settings and privately owned.

All but one forum for each gender which is equal exclusion and inclusion for sensitive issues relating to gender are present. It is equal, fair and each gender is accommodated for properly.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 7:00 pm

In the same line of reasoning, if gals decided that suddenly it was ok to be of witness to what goes on in a guy’s bathroom, then a group of girls could install a camera in the bathroom. The camera is the same as someone’s eyes, or the ears like a micro-recorder.

The invasion of gender privacy is relevant in the same respects as if with sensitive issues a lady would read a topic just for the guys that are recorded electronically online. Also the same would be true if a guy went in the ladies forum about a sensitive issue and do to perversion read and reply to girl only discussions when it is misleading to the point the gals were speaking as if guys were not present.

All of us know that when another gender is not present and the same gender is present both have different ways of speaking to one another.

Guys should respect gal talk and social clique privacy and women should respect guy talk in a social clique described for guys.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 8:33 pm

MrMark,

I don't know what the big deal is either. Fairness seems to be important to more and more people, lately. I guess it's only fair to have both forums (or is it fora?) available, but why not respect each other's wishes when a certain topic asks specifically for no responses from the opposite sex. I see no problem with each posting and especially reading in each other's forums as long as the respect is there. In that case why do we need separate forums? How do you enforce respect without locking every thread?

I really don't beleive that the last couple of days are or will be typical of gender segregated forums.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 8:52 pm

I think segregated forums are pointless unless you actually enforce the segregation.

The way discussions can go when nobody corrects the wrong thinking, or errors of fact, is quite educational for me. You get to see people's misconceptions in action. If you jump in and correct them, they hide them so you end up talking to them (in the open forums) with your own misconceptions about what they understand to be true and real.

Alex - about bathrooms / toilets.

People who share a small space like a home, could share a bathroom. But the toilet is usually still segregated - ie you don't have double toilets so that a man and woman can sit down together. It gets used by one person at a time. The public toilets for convenience of plumbing don't segregate the toilets as completely. I prefer, if I am doing something I consider private, in a public facility that boys are generally excluded. There will always be one or two boys who try to peek over or under the walls. The other thing I have found, without exception, is that boys toilets generally stink of pee. I guess in homes where the toilet is shared, the girls either put up with the smell or they clean it. That was certainly the case for me when I shared homes with blokes. I don't want to use a toilet that stinks of pee and I don't want to be cleaning up after boys who have bad aim. So I think toilets should remain segregated by sex.

I really don't like the idea of sharing showers at sports facilities with strangers, let alone strange men.

aspoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2006, 9:11 pm

Corcovado wrote:
We are on this forum because we ae the same, not because we are different.

you would think so, but i have been noticing that several members (women) have been bullying the men with AS in the mens forum, and targeting their AS difficulties. i really do not think that a majority of women here are even on the spectrum, even those that are seem to be more socially well rounded.
and, i do not appreciate them making light of our AS difficulties. we struggle with them, and we do not really need the (more socially well rounded) females making fun of our manhood because we choose to let down our guard and show a little vulnerability.

it seems that this site is one safe haven for bullies.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 10:18 pm

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
Funny though because there are women who feel that they don't fit in well with women either and hung out with the boys in school. There may be certain isues women feel more comfortable talking about with other women just because physically men can't really understand but I don't know if that is the case for general conversations.

Yeah I'm pretty much that way but I do appreciate that there is a forum should I need to ask others about issues related to my own gender.

aspoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2006, 11:34 pm

alex wrote:
larsenjw92286 wrote:
I think this is not a good idea because remember what Martin Luther King said, segregation is bad. That's why blacks and whites can use the same bathrooms, restaurants and such.

Also, did I see this topic posted three times? Why is that?

Why can't girls and boys use the same bathrooms?

why can't women use urinals?

07 Aug 2006, 1:36 am

I haven't read all the replies and everything but are you saying that all the boards at wrongplanted shoud be segregated. i don't think that would be any good. it would be a violation of human right and the separation fo church and state. I only say the second one because it reminds me of college were it seemed were always separted. it was a catholic college that could not accept federal funding in order to run the school.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 4:29 am

Aspoid

Quote:
why can't women use urinals?

It depends on whether women have the right equipment or not.

http://www.p-mate.com/eng/intro.html

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 7:45 am

Women are different than men.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 8:10 am

I think there should be an honour system in which threads are made with warnings in the subject line for a specific gender only; then people will stay away from that thread, or at least refrain from posting in it. The only problem I can see with this is if threads are made which are particularly offensive to a particular gender. I say this because it has happened before, and it will probably happen again.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2006, 8:37 am

aspoid wrote:
Corcovado wrote:
We are on this forum because we ae the same, not because we are different.

you would think so, but i have been noticing that several members (women) have been bullying the men with AS in the mens forum, and targeting their AS difficulties.

Well, Aspoid, that is simply not on. Perhaps you should PM a mod about this, including links to the thread(s) this is occurring on. I personally do not believe that this is acceptable behaviour.

aspoid wrote:
i really do not think that a majority of women here are even on the spectrum, even those that are seem to be more socially well rounded.

However, I find this view offensive. Who are you to say how many women here are or are not on the spectrum? You are as out of order about this as I would be if i were to poke fun at your AS difficulties. If a psychiatrist or psychologist needs an hour plus of discussions with the person in question, and then time to analyse the responses, how can you judge on just a few posts where someone may appear to be being a bully, if they have AS or not? Being a bully does not automatically label someone as NT. Remember-aspies can be bullies too!

aspoid wrote:
and, i do not appreciate them making light of our AS difficulties. we struggle with them, and we do not really need the (more socially well rounded) females making fun of our manhood because we choose to let down our guard and show a little vulnerability.

it seems that this site is one safe haven for bullies.

As I said, it should not be. PM a mod. If they are not aware of the problem, how can they deal with it?

JulieArticuno

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 8:55 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
The only problem I can see with this is if threads are made which are particularly offensive to a particular gender. I say this because it has happened before, and it will probably happen again.

Oh it will happen again. It’s happening right now. All over the world there are men trashing women and women trashing men and there’s nothing you can do about it. That’s part of the point of segregated forums. Sometimes you just have to go and vent about the other gender. If you can’t take it, then stay out of their forum. Unless they say otherwise, they don’t want to hear from you. Come back to the Locker Room and b***h to us about how mean the girls are. So far as personal attacks go, allow the ladies to police themselves in their forum, as we expect to be allowed to police ourselves in ours. And if they don’t police themselves? Well that’s just a reflection of them and not a reflection of you. Remember, what people say about others says a great deal about the people and the world they live in, but not much about the others. Some people live in a world populated by good guys and bad guys. Some people live in a dark and gloomy world. Some people see predators everywhere. Some people live in an optimistic world where everybody they encounter means well, but sometimes misunderstandings occur. Yet we all live on the same planet. People on this site have looked at me and seen everything from a wise old man to a dirty old perverted creep and everything in-between. Yet they were all looking at the same person. Imagine that.

- Emerson