Revealing diagnosis? ultimately a + or - response?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Revival
Raven
Raven

05 May 2011, 5:35 pm

So far it has been overall a negative for me.
My groups are changing though.

Could you please think in terms of different social groups
and perhaps list ages?

My curiosity has the better of me tonight.

Cheers.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 6:49 pm

I only revealed my diagnosis to the people I really trust. My best friend of 6+ years knows, and so does my cousin. Obviously my AS support group knows. I told them because I was 100% sure I'd get a positive response. I haven't told my mom or anyone else. It's better not to risk it.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 9:03 pm

Everyone in my life knows that I have it except for my profs. I made a point not to reveal it to my profs, as I don't want to risk being treated differently from any other students. When I revealed my diagnosis to other people, they have always been receptive and understanding of it so far. After direct disclosure, people just said "ok", "oh", or nodded receptively. I've also had one person tell me directly after I disclosed that he could see it in me.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 12:57 am

i've told 4 people and my mum has told a bunch of teachers at p/t interviews without asking and it made them and me feel awkward. the first 2 i told together. the guy thought it was just a high IQ and had told the other girl i was with she seemed like she had it. i told him it was average to high IQ. it later occured to me that he didnt know its autism. the girl asked me to explain and seemed extremely insulted when i did. the next person i told 5 yrs later. he was understanding. he recommended grog to relax me. misguided but sweet. the last guy was fine with it. he's a psych student.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2011, 1:54 am

I was diagnosed at age 34 and I only told two close friends; one of them already "knew I had it." The other one had no clue what it was and she was very understanding after learning more.

I just went to my career counselor and asked her if I should reveal it when starting an internship (I'm in the process of changing careers). She said it's better not to unless you come across as really odd during an interview (translated- can't fake NT at for even a few minutes). She also said the two situations for revealing your AS at work are 1) If everything's going really smoothy, you can make a disclosure and it won't effect how your boss treats you because you already have made a good impression and are performing well or 2) When you're about to get fired- at that point, your boss may take into account what your disability is and then you might be able to brainstorm with him/her how to work around your differences in order to make you more successful

quietbird
Raven
Raven

06 May 2011, 2:04 am

I've only told a few people. I don't really see any reason to mention it to anyone unless there is some reason to, even something as simple as having something related come up in conversation.

I guess the only person who I could classify as having had an actual reaction to it would be a good friend of mine. I explained it to her and she was like "OH! That makes lots of sense!" and went on to mention how I'm really no use to call when she's having breakup issues or whatever because I just go "Oh. Ok."

I think it would be fun to talk about it more with people but I don't really talk to many people. It's the same reason I don't talk about math or radio or programming to many people; I simply don't have the opportunity.