Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 6:34 pm

I agree with you. Doctors are getting better at diagnosing us. There is no epidemic. I am not an epidemic.

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2011, 11:35 am

Along the same lines, saw this yesterday about Korea.

"One in 38 Kids in South Korea May Have Autism, Study Says"

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/0 ... latestnews

excerpt:

Quote:
One out of every 38 children in South Korea may have autism, a surprisingly high number based on a new research approach that suggests autism is a global problem that is significantly under-diagnosed, researchers said on Monday.
The estimate, which translates into 2.64 percent of children, is far higher than the estimated 1 percent rate seen in studies in the United States and Europe.
The study is the first to estimate autism in South Korea, and while the study needs to be confirmed, it suggests autism may be more common than previously thought.
"Are we surprised? Yes," said Dr. Young-Shin Kim of Yale University, whose study was funded by the advocacy group Autism Speaks and published in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/05/0 ... z1Ly5Vy04y

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 6:07 pm

And now we wait for comedians to pick up on this and link it with the "asians are good at math" stereotype.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 6:21 pm

Autism traits do not an Aspie make.

You can present every trait in the book, but there is a sine qua non for diagnosis: your presentation must be clinically significant. If a person's autism traits don't bother that person or the people around that person; if a person's autism traits do not present a challenge to daily living, then does that person have a place on the spectrum?

The Korean found that 1 in 38 children presented autism traits. I am sure we would find numbers no different here. But there is a difference between the child who presents traits, and the child who cannot (for example) form meaningful relationships with peers because of those traits.