Page 5 of 13 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Lefebvre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2011, 12:57 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I still find it laughable that the Romani people are an "issue" for this obviously racially bigoted OP.

Yes, it's highly painfull for master, because his ancestors are gypsies. Gypsies are regarded as highly criminal and uncouth in Europe. And DNA is there to stay, of course.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:10 pm

laughable and painful are not synonymous.

Let him with the unmingled milk of human kindness DNA first cast off his jeans - uh - NO! WAIT - genes!! !! !

Lefebvre is now one step away from being marginalized.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:14 pm

Lefebvre wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
I still find it laughable that the Romani people are an "issue" for this obviously racially bigoted OP.

Yes, it's highly painfull for master, because his ancestors are gypsies. Gypsies are regarded as highly criminal and uncouth in Europe. And DNA is there to stay, of course.

I was probably overstating it when I said 1/4 of whatever, as that was mainly for emphasis. My only knowledge of my ancestral composition comes from statements from my parents. But my maternal Great Great Grandmother was half Romani.

Nevertheless, I really don't find it painful so much as laughable. Like Jacoby, I find it a horrible outdated candidate for a 21st century "issue", but I guess that's the effect living in a multiethnic Prairie city has on one.

Last edited by Master_Pedant on 07 May 2011, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:20 pm

Burzum wrote:
Oodain wrote:
i for one find iy fair to tax companies according to what they cost society.
same goes for people.

Huh? How does a company (or person) cost society?

in this example i will use coal power, be free to use any other company, there is always a cost somewhere if you look widely enough, same goes for people.
coal power contributes to the death of thousands of people each year, people that in large have little actual power to do anything.
it pushes medical costs directly onto individuals and doesnt help with global warming( a global issue).

the medical industry face resistant bacteria and new virals every year, many only made worse by our broad use of some treatments.

i thought it was obvious nothing is ever isolated completely in this world.

so while i dont know what should and shouldnt be the responsibility of who, i know we need to keep our responsibilities to each other, unknown or not(of course you cant do so before you find out, but at least then you should)

i also think that this is the primary issue in these debates, what should and shouldnt be the responsibility of the state, the companies and the people of a nation.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 4:53 pm

Burzum wrote:
Don't trust your government or the media, and vote only for so-called right wing nationalist parties with a strong anti-Jewish attitude. Or face total enslavement in the near future. And beware of China; a ruthless Communist dictatorship with no concerns for your well-being. The USA is rotten, but dying. China even more rotten, and she is growing in power. Beware!

:hmph:

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 5:09 pm

I would also add that the OP probably admires a certain inbreeding Germanic family that's an integral part of the British Upper Class.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 5:18 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I would also add that the OP probably admires a certain inbreeding Germanic family that's an integral part of the British Upper Class.

The sheep that read the Daily Mail forget about the ancestry of there favourite family :wink:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 7:12 pm

cdfox7 wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:

The sheep that read the Daily Mail forget about the ancestry of there favourite family :wink:

Very recently GERMAN - but no more nor less Germanic than the randomly chosen Englishman or Frenchman on the street.

Genealogy is one of my deals - the family mingles in unsortable proportions High German, Netherlandic, Callic and Goidelic and Brythonic Celtic, Nordic, with Italic, Greek and Slavic trace elements.

A typisch middle class Englishman, will have slightly different proportions and maybe no Slavs, but - Sayers puts in I think Wimsey's mouth "the English are the ony race that boasts of being mongrels"

Think in terms of a Chicago Pole.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 7:48 pm

Vigilans wrote:
'Gypsies' is a derogatory term, they are called Romani People

I'm a bit too lazy to get a proper source, but the connotation is mixed:

Wikipedia wrote:
GypsyFurther information: Gypsy
The English term Gypsy (or Gipsy) originates from the Greek word for "Egyptian", Αιγύπτιοι (Aigyptioi, whence modern Greek γύφτοι gifti), in the belief that the Romanies, or some other Gypsy groups (such as the Balkan Egyptians), originated in Egypt, and in one narrative were exiled as punishment for allegedly harbouring the infant Jesus.[28] This exonym is sometimes written with capital letter, to show that it designates an ethnic group.[29] The term 'gypsy' appears when international research programmes, documents and policies on the community are referred to. However, as a term 'gypsy' is considered derogatory by many members of the Roma community because of negative and stereotypical associations with the term.[30]

As described in Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the mediaeval French referred to the Romanies as egyptiens. The term has come to bear pejorative connotations. The word Gypsy in English has become so pervasive that many Romani organizations use it in their own organizational names.

In North America, the word gypsy is commonly used as a reference to lifestyle[31] or fashion, and not to the Romani ethnicity. The Spanish term gitano and the French term gitan may have the same origin as a reference to Egypt.[32]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people#Gypsy

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 10:03 pm

Republican: A Democrat that has just been mugged.

Democrat: A Republican that has just been arrested.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 10:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Republican: A Democrat that has just been mugged.

Democrat: A Republican that has just been arrested.
Political views: Whatever serves your immediate interests

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 11:48 pm

YES, folks, it is THAT TIME!

And I see that no one either in this public thread nor in my private box [unless it came in in the past ten minutes] has posted a stab at claiming those Philologos points.

The familiar English word of Romani origin is of course, class,

...................... PAL!! !............

Whose base meaning and English cognate is BROTHER.

No Philologos points tonight, but there will be another chance.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:14 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
You have no idea on how the english language works. "Bigot" is used generally in the context of humans - mainly, when referring to generalized judgements about ethnic or cultural clusters of humans. Even if "bigotry" as a concept is extended to non-humans, it is usually regarded as quite a different concept (i.e. it's not "bigoted" to say that Chimps are less intelligent but it is to say they don't feel pain, etc).

Regardless, your "point" is based on a lame arse strawman. Nice try with the evasion, though.

My point had nothing to do with the proper definition of the word 'bigot'. My point was that the word is thrown around when someone says something regarding a disparity between races, even when the claim is backed up by a mountain of evidence.

Why is it not bigoted to say that chimps are less intelligent? Please tell me why the double standard. We are, after all, part of the same subfamily tribe, Hominini. There is no such thing as a genus. :roll:

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:20 am

YourMother wrote:
Burzum wrote:
Don't trust your government or the media, and vote only for so-called right wing nationalist parties with a strong anti-Jewish attitude. Or face total enslavement in the near future. And beware of China; a ruthless Communist dictatorship with no concerns for your well-being. The USA is rotten, but dying. China even more rotten, and she is growing in power. Beware!

:hmph:

You should've made the quote "Varg Vikernes" instead, as I didn't write that and by quoting it with my username it makes it seem as if I personally wrote that.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:24 am

Fnord wrote:
Then again...

- they are cannibalistic, and will eat their own young
- they play with (and sometimes eat) their feces
- they are rarely (if ever) toilet-trainable
- their language skills are limited to "point-and-grunt"

All those things are clearly a product of their environment! It is because humans oppress the poor chimpanzees that their development of intelligence is stunted. They grow up in abhorrent conditions, without access to clothes or proper shelter. These environmental factors clearly play a part, and you are a bigot for claiming otherwise! :lol:

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:32 am

Fudo wrote:
is that a troll i see? :?

Very likely and one that has nothing remotely interesting or objective to say and no one gives a f**k :roll:

Morning comes the sunrise and i'm driven to my bed, I see that it is empty and there's devils in my head. I embrace, the many-colored beast...I grow weary of the torment....can there be no peace? I find myself just wishing, that my life would simply cease