I LOVE writing!! ! But I HATE math!! !

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

paladin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2011, 8:59 pm

theWanderer wrote:
paladin wrote:
I was just having lunch with blueroses and this thread came up. After thinking it over quite carefully, and comparing my experiences with both, I can honestly say that I have never had sex that was better than Calculus! I welcome any women that are willing to try to change my mind though ;)

I've said more than once that writing can be better than sex...

Calculus? :eew: I'm not sure the TOS would allow me to state what I'd equate that to.

So now I'm curious; do you hate writing? Does trying to write give you any sort of mental discomfort?

Generally, no. Overall though, it depends on what I am writing. Writing an essay for an English class in response to a novel is pretty annoying to me. Writing about non fiction topics I can find either neutral or enjoyable.

I am currently working on my PhD, and doing my thesis on behavioral neuropharmacology. Generally I love to write about any science topic I find interesting. Although I have yet to start writing up my thesis, there are many times were I have to write about my project. I actually enjoy writing about my science work than I do performing the actual experiments. To me it feels like talking about my special interests, just doing it in text!

Firechick

22 May 2011, 4:51 pm

I totally know how you feel. I SUCK at algebra. HARD (though I am steadily bringing my grade up). And having a complete sourpuss for a teacher doesn't exactly help me either.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 5:36 pm

You can't be serious. Writing is so biased and subjective. There are no absolutes, and it makes me go crazy. In mathematics, everything just makes sense; it's the only perfect universal truth.

paladin

22 May 2011, 5:53 pm

SammichEater wrote:
it's the only perfect universal truth.

The next best thing to it is writing to convince someone you have discovered a universal truth! :D

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

22 May 2011, 11:15 pm

SammichEater wrote:
You can't be serious. Writing is so biased and subjective. There are no absolutes, and it makes me go crazy. In mathematics, everything just makes sense; it's the only perfect universal truth.

Indeed. Add in the fact that if your writing doesn't appeal to the sensibilities of the reader (i.e., Grader), and that might be as simple as failing to follow a few banal grammatical conventions or using emotions that appeal to the reader, then your grade becomes thrashed. Math, on the other hand, actually has a correct answer and there's no chance your grade will be destroyed simply because your teacher dislikes your thinking processes or communication processes (Unless they're thinking processes that result in the wrong answer.).

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2011, 12:22 am

SammichEater wrote:

In writing, there are rules--LOTS of rules.

Detailed rules.

Rules for every last thing.

What defines you as a writer are three things; first, how you understand and master those rules, second, how you apply those rules properly, and third, knowing when and where to break them. I actually hate writing nonfiction, or even fiction without some element of the supernatural\superpowers\fantasy\sci-fi in it, because there just aren't enough rules. It's boring as hell.

Math, though, is a brand of pure (censored) evil and I can barely understand it on my best day. So probably there's a fundamental difference in the versions of neuroatypicality you and I have. And hey; to each his own. :)

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2015, 9:49 pm

Can you love math and writing all at once? They're both good.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 10:02 pm

I've only mentioned this a million times on WP. I'm glad I'm not the only aspie who feels this way. I have loved to read and write ever since I was a small child, but for years I was afraid of doing adult things like grocery shopping because of trying to add up all those prices, and if there are taxes it's even worse because the stupid government won't put them on the stupid price tags. When I was in junior high I started being taught life skills math by a private teacher.

I also once thought that even though I got praise and support for reading and writing as a kid that wasn't a big deal because anyone could be good at it, but only really smart people were good at math. Also girls were supposed to stink at math.

Yeah yeah, I know we need math and numbers, everyday life would be a lot harder if we tried to do without it, but I still don't have to like it, and I hate that society still acts like only people are good at it can be smart.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:19 pm

Going by the stereotype, we Aspies should all be wizzes at math, but total simpletons at writing, or anything else artistic. Well, I for one am the exact opposite of the stereotype, as are professional writers probably with Asperger's, such as James Elroy, and the late Robert E. Howard.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 10:49 am

I share OP's sentiment completely

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 6:22 pm

Writer aspies, rise up against the stereotype of the math genius!

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 7:33 pm

I am the same. I love to write poetry/song lyrics/ short stories, but, I have very limited skills when it comes to dealing with numbers. My issues pertaining to math comprehension, stem from dyscalculia. I have never been able to grasp abstract math concepts.