No. 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
When I was a kid. 15%  15%  [ 19 ]
When I was a kid. 22%  22%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 123

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2011, 6:02 pm

I couldn't help but notice that everywhere I read, someone says that aspies will tend to keep some childish interests, and the example they use is always Legos. I find it funny because I myself have played with legos my whole life. I'm sixteen and I still play with them, and they're still just as fun, except that I've gone from building multicolored castles, to robots with working guns that walk around and shoot things. Yes, I build fully functional robots out of legos. So anyway, did anyone else play with Legos when they were younger or still play with them? and what's the coolest thing you made? (The coolest thing I made was a robot that would scan the surface in front of it while moving forward to find lego bricks. When it found one, it would pick it up and put it in a bucket on it's back, then it would keep searching for more bricks. I called it the "Collect-o-Bot")

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:09 pm

I still do occasionally. Although I don't have any of the electronic sensors to make anything like that.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2011, 6:14 pm

I play Lego all the time! I have a three year old, so I can pretend it is for him :wink:

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:25 pm

As it turns out - No.
I used to love it as a kid, made lots of houses (I have a 'thing' about drawing and making houses), but had none of my own and didn't get to play with the Lego at school, thought I'd love it as an adult but after getting two big bucket loads from friend I just found it boring and ended-up donating it...

...I do have childish interests though. I think if asked most of us would say the happiest time in our lives was when we were kids doing X activity, so it's healthy as adults (or young adults) to indulge in these activities or interests.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:42 pm

I don't know it is pretty tough building a humanoid robot with only 3 motors found in lego. I would think that a good invention system would include at least 16 motors.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:55 pm

I love legos. I play them with my little cousin. If I had a bunch of free legos I could build something big.

I used to love PipeWorks. Plastic pipes you connect with plastic joints to make things you can climb on.

I like drawing houses too, Bloodheart! Specifically house blueprints.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 7:45 pm

Man I loved Legos when I was a kid. I built houses and cars and airplanes. Whenever I got a new set, I would first build it exactly like it was on the box with the directions and then I would customize it with other pieces. I can't wait till my nephew is old enough to play with legos (he is 1.5 now). I will then be the "coolest" uncle ever because I will buy so many Legos "for him".

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 8:28 pm

I love Legos. If I had the room and the money, I'd
be buying all types of Lego sets for boys and girls. My favourite Lego sets are the red and black Bionicles. I also like the castle sets for both boys and girls.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 9:13 pm

LEGOS ARE AWESOME! I used to zone out for HOURS in the middle of the living room floor surrounded by hundreds of little red and blue bricks. I haven't played with them in decades, but I totally would.

I get the sense they've changed, though. It seems like these days, you buy Lego kits in order to build something very specific -- like a rocket or a ferris wheel. When I was a kid, I think you just got a box of bricks and had to make it all up yourself. The most exotic thing I remember was a 4x2 block with wheels on the short ends. Do I have this right? Or were my parents just cheap and didn't buy me the good stuff??? (Keep in mind, friends, that we're talking something like 30-35 years ago, so go easy!)

P.S. I love it! As of right now, there are 0 "no" votes in the poll!

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2011, 9:18 pm

I loved legos when I was a kid. I was very into the technic legos too, especially the bionicle things. I don't play with them anymore, but I used to babysit for a neighbor and would make all kinds of lego things for the kids :D

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 9:57 pm

I loved legos as a kid and would spend hours make houses, gardens, and playing imaginary games by myself with my legos. As an adult, I have a basic lego set hidden in my room that I take out and play with from to time which I'm too embarrassed to let anyone else find out about.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 11:55 pm

I loved Legos when I was little, but I think my mom gave my set away at some point. I'd probably still play with them if I had them around.

I used to make vehicles, mostly cars and wagons and things. I'd then roll them down the driveway and test how fast or far they go, how aerodynamic they were, etc. :) I could do that for hours.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:32 am

Apparently there are many adult fans of Lego (AFOL, rhymes with hay-foal) out there. I don't know how many of them are on the autistic spectrum, but it is nearly certain some are, maybe even a larger relative percentage on the spectrum than in the general population.

I have always enjoyed playing with Lego (the accepted plural form, like sheep instead of sheeps). My daughter and I play with them sometimes. I don't know how much longer she'll be into them, but then eventually I may have kids or grandkids, or know somebody who does!

As a promotional gimmick I recently (March) started making Lego models of "The Bicycling Guitarist" to sell to fans. They actually bear a striking resemblance to me, my bicycle, and my guitar. Unfortunately, the company that makes the guitars (the only part of the model not a genuine Lego piece) informed me they have no plans to make any more in my preferred color scheme anytime soon. I have made seven models so far, gave away three (they were very well liked by the recipients), have four left, and have about a dozen more guitars to make more models (I don't have a dozen more bicycles or minifigs yet though.)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 1:59 am

I used to play with Legos when I was a child. I never got too involved with them - all I did was build multicolored houses with them! Never did figure out how to make roofs... :lol:

I do have a childish interest though, and that is dolls.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 2:16 am

I like Legos but I could never bring myself to pay $80 for a set. They typically don't come with enough bricks or extras for me to justify paying that much for them.

Oh, and I swear those pieces always manage to find themselves on the floor regardless of how they're stored. My siblings had those growing up and I kept stepping on and vacuuming up stray legos years after they had thrown out the set.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 2:40 am

I do not have enough room so no.