Page 16 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2021, 10:43 am

Roma Gypsie/ indo aryan in blood...I think

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:26 pm

According to a genetic test, I'm almost 100% English. I was quite amused when I found out, because I've often said, on hearing about these far-right jerks who want to keep England racially "pure," that there's no such thing as a thoroughbred English person, that we're all mongrels. Still, what's in a test?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:35 pm

Teach51 wrote:
I love cornish pasties! I have been to Cornwall it is beautiful.

Before becoming a vegetarian I was very fond of them. Rather annoyed at the way some of the vendors would add tons of pepper to disguise the fact that they'd skimped on the meat.

Not that modern pasties are a lot like the original kind that the miners knew. I gather they used to have handles made of pastry so the miners didn't have to wash their hands - they just chucked the handles away when they were done. Ingenious.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 11:45 pm

Quote:
Follow the evolution of plants and animals, from the first living things 6 billion years ago to the animals living in the world today. Darwin's Tree of Life shows how the incredible diversity of life on earth came to be. This beautifully illustrated book starts from the dawn of life and shows the order in which plants and animals evolved, the different branches of 'The Tree of Life', and how plants and animals have changed over time in many amazingly different ways. Find out: * why crabs run sideway * which fish was the first to walk on land * why birds are similar to dinosaurs * why human brains are located in the head and not in our feet. which creatures can survive 30 years without eating * which mammal has the strongest bite of any predator * why hedgehogs have spines Stunningly illustrated by illustrator and print maker, Margaux Carpentier, children will enjoy finding out about a whole world of wonderful animals on our amazing planet Earth.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 10:20 am

I have about 200 ancestors identified and almost all are Swedish.
A couple are Finnish, but Finland wasn't a country but a part of Sweden at the time; one is possibly Estonian, but Estonia was a part of Sweden at the time. The only non Swedes are a couple of Danes.

/Mats

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 12:35 pm

Part Irish, part Welsh part British
Half neurotypical, half autistic

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 5:38 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
According to a genetic test, I'm almost 100% English. I was quite amused when I found out, because I've often said, on hearing about these far-right jerks who want to keep England racially "pure," that there's no such thing as a thoroughbred English person, that we're all mongrels. Still, what's in a test?

Even 100 percent English isnt really racially pure. You go to remember countries like England were basically influenced by the countries that surround it. So a lot of French, Low Countries, German, and Scaninavian are in the English gene pool.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 5:44 pm

British - Yorkshire and Dorset, Irish - County Cork, and 1/8 Spanish.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:14 pm

mostly northern european in 8 more recent generations, but going back far enough makes that likely to also include lots of mixed heritage. Asian, Moor, etc in there too if you read and follow history. We are All mixed!
I suspected that our own family line of autism was genetic when I remembered that while doing genealogy when my kids were small, I found every generation in one side/line of my mother's family also had clubfoot, suicides in young women under 30 and in men over 50, for as many years back as I could trace it (late 1700s).
Now my cousins and I and my siblings and offspring all are known to be autistic, and I am sure my mother was too, although she never knew it in her life time. Guess which family line I suspect it came from?

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:22 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Even 100 percent English isnt really racially pure. You go to remember countries like England were basically influenced by the countries that surround it. So a lot of French, Low Countries, German, and Scaninavian are in the English gene pool.

Yes, that was my general feeling, that early English history is full of tales of being invaded. So I don't quite know what they mean when they say I'm 99% (or so) English. I can't believe my ancestors just sat there in a hermetically-sealed Lancashire village throughout the millennia. Nor does England seem a likely place for the cradle of humanity. I thought humans arrived in England via the land bridge that is now the English Channel, which would make us all French at least, and probably something much further removed than that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:34 pm

if i could find a lost generation on one [english] thread, i could say my lineage is mainline.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:59 pm

Mainly Irish. Though "Irish" itself is far from being a genetically homogenous group- there's everything from Viking to medieval Spanish influence in there, which is pretty obvious looking at some of my mother's side of the family. I have a Manx great-parent. Family legend says that a sailor ancestor bought back a wife from Algeria... or Albania.... or Afghanistan in some versions? our geneology is not well known, to put it mildly.

There is apparently a correlation between risk of mental illness and being of Irish descent in England. I'd speculate that that's environmental rather than genetic though- being Irish wasn't always considered "charming" round here. My Dad says that at work, he used to have to claim that his unusual surname was Cornish. He'd get some mockery as a presumed Cornish yokel, but if they knew he was Irish they'd straight up treat him as a drooling moron the whole time he was there. Another ancestor went undiagnosed as schizophrenic for decades, as doctors assumed that being an Irishwoman she was naturally hysterical all the time.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 4:34 pm

As far as I know, it's composed of the following; however, this is still an ongoing exploration yet, here are some of the elements.

English/French/German/Dutch/Irish/Scottish/ Native American/ African.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 6:14 pm

I don't know anything past 4 generations ago.

I'll just assume it's "mostly from Austronesian".

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 6:21 pm

Irish(Mother’s side) German(Father’s side)

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:12 am

55 percent British Isles (England and Ireland).
25 percent Italian (Sicily).
6 percent Baltic (Lithuania).
6 percent Scandinavian (Denmark).
4 percent German (Palatine and some from Prussia).
4 percent French-Canadian (Bretagne, the British region of France).