Page 8 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

21 May 2011, 9:41 pm

Awesome! I learned something new today. Had no idea about Plesiadapis. Seems like we have one thing in common: fascination with human lineage and evolution. You got any good reading for me?

alexptrans wrote:
My recent ancestors include Homo ergaster, Homo habilis, with maybe a little bit of Homo neanderthalensis mixed in. If you're talking about like 55-60 million years ago, then I'd have to say Plesiadapis.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 12:45 am

I am of mostly of French with English, Irish, and Swedish.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 1:15 am

I hope that you realize that the person above you posted seven years ago and that no one above you on this thread is gonna read your reply.

Just sayin'.

That said, the topic is still relevant.

So...

Am over half of German ancestry, with some English, and some French (by way of French Canadian) ancestry. Some evidence of a little smidgeon of possible Jewish ancestry from way back as well.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:00 am

Turkish, Yörük, Greek

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 6:24 am

German and Italian

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 7:45 am

African American is a widely accepted term used to describe U.S. born people whose ancestors came from Africa.
I'm Western European American.

Last edited by Magna on 11 Oct 2018, 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:04 am

Matt55 wrote:
There is all this talk within the scientific community about Autism being geneticly linked. What geneticists are looking for are genes specifically responsible for the Autism/Asperger's itself and not taking a more broad approach, such as measuring the prevelance of Autism/Asperger's among SPECIFIC ethnicities and nationalities. For example; when statistical reports give the rate of Autism among Hispanic children is X percent, it is in my opinion, a very vauge and misleading statement. There are many different ethnic groups in Latin America and to lump them all into one catagory is foolish! For instance, epidemiologists should take into account which regions of the world an Autistic individual's family originated from. So the next time they measure the rate of Autism among the hispanic population, they will then ask the question which part of Latin America did your family come from? Argentina, Paraguay, Mexico, Chile, Guatemala? I believe that by carefully examing and scrutinizing national and ethnic backgrounds of people on the spectrum, we will discover commonalities that could possibly further our understanding of the origins of Autism.

To get started here's my ethnic profile:
25% Swedish
25% English
25% Lithuanian
12.5% Spanish (Possibly Argentinian or Chilean)
12.5% Scot-Irish

A lot of Americans don't seem to understand that Hispanic is not really a race, it is a culture. There are actually several different races of people living in the Latin American countries. Some are descended from the native people that lived there before the colonists arrived, some are descended from the colonists that came over from European countries like Spain and Portugal, and some are descended from the African people who were brought over during the slave trade.

Personally I think that when you get down to it, it really isn't too different from the United States because they are a melting pot of different ethnicities just like we are.

Anyways here is what I know of my ancestry.

My Mom's Side:

Irish for sure.
German for sure.
A little bit of Native American (don't remember if it was Creek or Cherokee)
Possible Jewish but not sure

My Dad's Side:
Hawaiian for sure
Filipino for sure
British for sure (from his mother's side)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 8:50 am

My aunt (American of Italian descent) did her Ancestry.com profile. It showed there was some Greek heritage. That could explain my strong interest in that country's history from antiquity to today.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:09 am

IstominFan wrote:
My aunt (American of Italian descent) did her Ancestry.com profile. It showed there was some Greek heritage. That could explain my strong interest in that country's history from antiquity to today.

I would like to try a DNA test one day to find out all of my true heritages.

Since I have Hawaiian ancestry I think it would be cool if I also had some Asian heritage. I know a lot of Asians travel back and forth to Hawaii and have settled there and I heard that the oldest Chinatown in the U.S. is located in Hawaii.

That would explain my fascination with Asian culture. 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:21 pm

50% British
30% German
20% French.

I was born in Canada in 1974.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:28 pm

Quote:
What is your ancestry?

homo sapiens.

"Nationalism of one kind or another was the cause of most of the genocide of the twentieth century. Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people's minds and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead.”
Arundhati Roy

“We are all one race. The only difference is the color of our skin, and that comes from how close your ancestors lived to the Equator or at high altitudes like Tibetans. There have always been tribes, but what we have to appreciate now is that we live in a global community. And tribal loyalties…they’re not relevant to our future.”
Bill Nye

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:39 pm

Mostly German, with some Irish and Scottish and a splash of a few other european countries.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 6:20 pm

A quarter English and a quarter Scots from my Mum's side (she has traced back both lineages for many generations.)
Uncertain about my Dad's side because he was adopted; he was definitely born in England, but the very pale skin, freckles, and red beard that I inherited from him suggest maybe a Scots or Irish connection.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 6:33 pm

I'm mostly European. :P

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2018, 8:18 pm

What with my mother's maiden name, I'da thought I was ½ Scottish, and ½ English from my father's side. But AncestryDNA says it is 90% English and only 1% Scottish. So much for the Scottish heritage.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:01 am

100% English (50% Cornish though!)