From childhood im obsessed about fortune telling
my mom and i used to visit fortune tellers to know our future
and ok many things astrologers predicted have come out correct
like the age i would get married, about my spouse, about my child etc
but something strange they said as stuck with me...they have predicted
that i will have a career...that i would be a working person

But its been 3 years now that i have quit job and career
and i dont see myself seeking full time employment out there
with all the hell i went through.....i mean atleast till the time im left starving
i dont see sense in taking up some job which would bring humiliation
and insult.

does anyone follow fortune telling here or atleast feel that
fortune telling works

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:27 pm

Cross the old Gypsy's palm with siller, gaujo, and she'll pen your dukkerin.

Wait - that was a different thread.

Seriously:

I would not say categorically that it is impossible.

But I will venture to say it is highly unlikely.

And without fear ot contradiction I will say a lot of practitioners are cheats and charlatans.

Finally, those I know who HAVE seriously sought seers have not brought back any convincing reports of success.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 12:46 pm

I can't comment on most of the "accurate specific predictions" (but I wonder how specific they really were, I mean if someone says you'll get married between the ages of 21-31, it doesn't take a prophetic genius to be right about that, and you could just be misremembering what the fortune teller actually said), but saying you'll be a "working person" is a no-brainer as most people (with the exception of 4-7% depending on the country) generally are by a given age.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfF20bkMhg8&feature=related[/youtube]

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 1:01 pm

Two cases in point, while no one is streaming in with insights on predictions:

1. Back in early grad school, a fellow student - roommate of my girlfriend equivalent - offered a shot at handwriting analysis. My handwriting has to be seen to be believed - then the nice men in white coats take you away.

So I generated a sample and waited skeptically. She looks it over, its me down, tells me this and that. She is so RIGHT. BIG shock to my skepticism. As I am going home - I realize. Now that I am out of reach of her persuasive talk, just reviewing the facts: It was all delivery. She told me nothing that she did not know from seeing me and hearing about me from AU. Back to yah sure skepticism.

2. Much later - 12 years? I am linked with a Seeker - always trying to find some psychic spiritual energetic health food key to the universe, never getting there. She takes me in tow to a group of Jen-you-wine spiritualists and signs me - both of us - up for a reading.

The nice old mediumistic gentleman tells me a pile of messages and advice from an old spirit he says is my grandfather. Well, okay, at least grampa is dead. But the advice besides being lame is totally inconstent with the grandfather I knew. I did not laugh - I do a good poker face.

Conclusion - I remain in this an agnostic of the don't know but highly doubtful variety.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 May 2011, 1:03 pm

I do not believe in any psychic ability

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 1:17 pm

One word: BS.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 1:19 pm

I have not had a fortune teller be spot on with me, though I have had tarot readers do a decent job... My mother once had her tea leaves read once when she was in her 20's (this was in the 60's). The lady told her when she would give birth to me (my mom was supposed to be unable to have children but had me in 77), told her about the tumor she would have in her head (which she had removed in the 90's), told her about her addiction problems, about her two next marriages and how the one would end... my mom thought the lady was crazy until bit by bit, everything woman said happened. Creepy stuff, that. I do not dismiss such things.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 5:13 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

A guide to cold reading.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 5:26 pm

Any form of divination is ridiculous to me

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 5:47 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I can't comment on most of the "accurate specific predictions" (but I wonder how specific they really were, I mean if someone says you'll get married between the ages of 21-31, it doesn't take a prophetic genius to be right about that, and you could just be misremembering what the fortune teller actually said), but saying you'll be a "working person" is a no-brainer as most people (with the exception of 4-7% depending on the country) generally are by a given age.

I went to a mind body spirit fair with a friend some years ago, and my friend had a reading done by that man. I wasn't very impressed as I don't really believe in that kind of thing. But my friend was impressed with him. I just haven't got any reason to believe anything like that has any truth to it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 7:02 pm

namaste wrote:
... does anyone follow fortune telling here or atleast feel that
fortune telling works

I used to be a "fortune teller". My cousin (the witch) taught me everything I needed to know in order to perform a reading - and the key word here is "perform". It's all an act - a confidence game - constructed so as to break down the clients' skepticism and convince them that you are the "real deal". This is an example of a "hot" reading:

"Namaste, I sense that you are enduring relationship problems, perhaps with a close relative, or even your spouse. This relationship has either grown cold in your eyes, or the other party has acquired new interests other than you. You seem to be feeling bored and left out - perhaps even betrayed. You seek answers; perhaps even justification for seeking your own fulfillment elsewhere, or even an illicit relationship of your own. Something may be holding you back. I sense cultural pressures that inhibit any overt action on your part. You wish that the other person in your life would simply see things your way and act accordingly, yet you feel that it is not your responsibility to tell them so ... perhaps you've been telling them for such a long time that they've simply stopped listening to you ..."

It's called a "Hot Reading" because the information therein was obtained from a "hot" source - your own posts in other threads.

A warm reading would be a little more vague, and rely on observing your reactions to a key trigger point for a woman your age - that is, relationships.

There are no psychic or other paranormal abilities involved. My teacher began by showing me a list of concerns and questions that were categorized according to age, gender, apparent income, and apparent ethnicity. Then she showed me her notes that made correlations between physical infirmities and personality quirks and the questions the clients were most interested in.

Cold readings, on the other hand, occur when meeting a new client for the first time. You are performing the reading "cold"; That is, with no advance preparation. My teacher trained me well enough in cold reading that I was forming my own client base within only a few weeks. These articles follow closely the lessons that I received on Cold Reading a client:

> Link to Article on "How To Cold Read" <

> Link to article on "The Art of Cold Reading" <

> Link to article on "Cold Reading" <

Please read them fully, and then think back to those "Fortune Tellers" you have met in the past. Then ask yourself, "Did they really have spiritual insight into everything about me, or were they just exceptionally good actors and judges of human character?"

The answer may surprise you.

For the record, I worked mainly with a Full Arcana of the Tarot. (That is, I was playing with a full deck. ;) )

I also worked the psychometry scam, in which I asked to hold a token - usually a ring or other piece of jewelry - and then gave the reading. The key issue here is that when the client is fumbling around in her purse, you are looking inside for things like medicine (she is concerned with her health), coupons (she has financial concerns), toys (she has motherhood concerns), or an abundance of cosmetics (she has issues with her self-image).

I once even convinced other "psychics" at a "Psychic Fair" to buy some electronic do-dads I had built. They were convinced that these devices somehow acted as psychic shields that prevented unwanted scrying from others. For less than $5 (US) of scrap parts, I was able to construct a convincing-looking item that I sold for $50 (US) each!

It's all a scam, and even the scammers sometimes are the easiest to scam - you just have to scam them in a way that they've never encountered before.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:14 am

I dont know about other countries but in India astrology, palmistry is having fairly very good sucess rate
They are able to tell the past reading my palm i was told about my differences with mother in law, problems in married life,
early financial problems, and career not taking off.
Also when i was small all astrologers had predicted that i would get married at age of 24 and it would be arrange marriage
and exactly after my 24th birthday a proposal came in for me which clicked and its a arranged marriage.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2011, 1:00 am

I was in a house all alone one night, lying in bed I heard the zipper on my overnight bag running it's tracks. Too frightened to look. Science doesn't have the tools to include ALL variables, just those dealing with physical and energy laws.

An associate was missing for a week. I and my housemates resorted to divination for information. I read the runes and read them as saying she was safe and on water. A week later and she turns up safe after having spent two weeks with a new boyfriend, on his houseboat.

The problem is not that it isn't real, but that it isn't perfectly controllable and there are a lot of fakes. And there are those who do it for entertainment, just as there who go to psychics to be entertained.

And there are scientists who believe it is real and scientists who come up with theories for how it works. This leads me to believe that what we believe (believe it isn't/believe it is) is more about 'will' than 'evidence'. Though I'm happy with the amount of evidence I've seen over the years.

One night I dreamed that I washed the inside windows. The next morning at breakfast my young son actually told me to remember to wash the outside of the windows.

I rarely divine anymore. It's about info gathering, and I find the internet to be adequate most of the time. But if people are really into it, i.e. true believers, I recommend learning a system and doing it for yourself.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 1:06 am

Fortune telling works
try using the tarot cards for yourself

But remember there are scam artist, fake readers, charlatans out there who can con you
try reading for yourself.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 2:56 am

I used to go with this crazy b***h with Borderline Personality Disorder, and she and her equally f****d in the head friend used to buy into all that psychic crap. All the more reason why I refuse to believe in any of it.
As a side note; I apologize if I sound bitter - I am.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 3:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I used to go with this crazy b***h with Borderline Personality Disorder, and she and her equally f**** in the head friend used to buy into all that psychic crap. All the more reason why I refuse to believe in any of it.
As a side note; I apologize if I sound bitter - I am.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

usually people with mental problems seek solutions via fortune telling or with spiritual guru
they dont have confidence to find solution themself
they are very weak
that includes me