Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 8:48 pm

I started dating someone about 3 months ago. We care for each other a lot, and the other evening she asked if I could imagine myself in a long-term relationship with her. I said quite a bit, but the gist was that yes, I could. (She was asking a hypothetical question, and I have trouble with those :P .) Our conversation carried on, and she proceeded to say that she will probably want to date other people at some point because I'm the first relationship she's had. She said this is because she felt she needed to compare our relationship with whoever she dates in the future. I appreciate her honesty, but now I don't know whether to end the relationship or not. Some people would say to stay in the relationship and don't get too emotionally invested, but I don't think I can do that. I'm thinking of asking her about opening up the relationship, but haven't spoken to her yet (right now we're apart for about 2.5 months for Summer).

Any advice/opinions/thoughts are appreciated :]

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

09 May 2011, 6:54 am

I would think that after 3 months of an (I'm presuming) exclusive relationship, the "long-term" status was pretty much assumed, so..maybe I'm wrong about what certain things mean these days. 8O

I would likewise think that spending nearly 3 months apart would basically mean it's over, unless you've made specific plans to phone/Skype/video chat every or most days?

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 5:45 pm

We do speak daily, and didn't plan to split over the distance. She just happened to tell me this after I got home from school. We attend the same college, so we'll continue to be apart during breaks...but we'll be at school together about 9 months out of the year.