Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 8:18 pm

From my Lit professor...

Quote:
A notoriously difficult poet: one critic notes that looking at him from many perspectives gives us “the most hope of catching Blake in the act of meaning something we can understand.”

I'm really digging Blake's poetry and art. I just ordered his complete illuminated (illustrated) works.

However, there's still plenty of stuff left out! Does anybody know of a good, complete edition of Blake's illustration work--i.e. The book of Job, The Divine Comedy , etc..?

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:08 pm

I like his art as well :) Here are some of his works on this website: http://surrealistisch.blogspot.com/2010 ... blake.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:49 am

I really liked Blake's poetry, though I haven't read any of his stuff since college.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 3:31 am

Gutenberg has some of his work.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 3:34 am

I'm a fan!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:00 am

Ashuahhe wrote:
I like his art as well :) Here are some of his works on this website: http://surrealistisch.blogspot.com/2010 ... blake.html

Ah, I recall that man-dragon painting from the movie Red Dragon, and how it was the obsession of the serial killer antagonist.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 5:26 am

I love both his art and poetry. I've learned more about human nature from his work than any psychology book I've ever read.

A fascinating character all around.

CoalBogey
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 11:56 am

GoonSquad wrote:
From my Lit professor...

Quote:
A notoriously difficult poet: one critic notes that looking at him from many perspectives gives us “the most hope of catching Blake in the act of meaning something we can understand.”

I'm really digging Blake's poetry and art. I just ordered his complete illuminated (illustrated) works.

However, there's still plenty of stuff left out! Does anybody know of a good, complete edition of Blake's illustration work--i.e. The book of Job, The Divine Comedy , etc..?

If you don't mind me asking, did you order The Complete Illuminated Books by David Bindman? That's been on my wishlist for a while. I'm currently working my way through Peter Ackroyd's biography of Blake, it's pretty heavy-going in places (the author is famously obsessed with London, and in attempting to sketch city life in the 18th/19th century doesn't spare any mind numbing detail). I also want to read Fearful Symmetry by Northrop Frye.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:31 pm

CoalBogey wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, did you order The Complete Illuminated Books by David Bindman? That's been on my wishlist for a while. I'm currently working my way through Peter Ackroyd's biography of Blake, it's pretty heavy-going in places (the author is famously obsessed with London, and in attempting to sketch city life in the 18th/19th century doesn't spare any mind numbing detail). I also want to read Fearful Symmetry by Northrop Frye.

Yes, I'm getting the David Bindman book. From what I understand, it is the best reproduction of his illuminated work.

I'd like to get a good biography/analytical book too, but first I want to see what I can make of the works on my own after finally seeing them as Blake intended.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:46 pm

Ashuahhe wrote:

Yeah, those are really cool. It is amazing how modern those feel. If Blake were alive today, I think he'd be a comic book artist.

Here's more good stuff at the Tate...
http://www.tate.org.uk/learning/worksinfocus/blake/

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:09 pm

If you like William Blake and like weird experimental electronic music then you should get "The Marriage Between Heaven And Hell" by Ulver. The entire poem/story is recited through the course of two discs.