Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 8:49 am

as a kid, did they ever put you on a medication to control you, make you more docile?

I did. When I was 14 or 15, I was put on mellaril. Nasty stuff. I was sleepy all the time. Looking back, I don't see any other reason than my hyperactivity that I would have been on a medicine like that - prescribed for schizophrenia which I don't have.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 10:34 am

I was put on meds for schizophrenia when I was a teenager... but I am not schizophrenic. I think my parents went along with it as way to control me, but not so much as to make me docile (I was not all hyper or anything), but more like I just did not fit into the standard mold of what a teenager should be... make sense? I was clearly abnormal and rather uncooperative at times and they had no clue what to do with me for a few years there.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:29 pm

I was put on Risperdal when I was 15 to control my Tourettes. I got tired all the time, felt dizzy and nauseous and even developed paranoia and hallucinations! Personally I am highly against medication except for if it is life saving or the benefits outweigh the negative. I no longer medicate for my TS. It's a pain but better than being asleep all the time!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:26 pm

My mother sometimes gave my brother and I phenigrin (I think that's what it was called) so we'd go to sleep when she was poorly. I can't remember how she learned that it put us to sleep... I think it was originally prescribed for hayfever. She also occasionally gave us valium for the same reason. The valium was her prescription. We tended to get it during holidays or weekends.

Before anyone blames her, remember this was the seventies, and she had a serious psychotic disorder, which was never properly treated. I think she wanted us knocked out so that she wouldn't freak out and terrify us when she was very ill. And she didn't do it often enough for us to become addicted (though I remember how much I liked valium, even after the first dose.)

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 8:34 am

Now I'm feeling guilty for telling tales on my mother.