Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2011, 2:56 pm

In the May/June 2011 issue of Autism/Asperger Digest, there is an article on why people who have Autism/Asperger Syndrome have trouble finding a job.

One of the points was having an "Odd" email address can land your resume or job application in the "No" pile. Using the question, "Would you want to hire Someone whose email address is [email protected]?" as an example. (I disagree)*

The reason is that a creative email will get you noticed, and an email address doesn't describe how you behave, or how intellegent on the job you are going to be.

*As long as the email address isn't offensive or mean to Anyone (I read it over several times, (This point was in a little green box on the page of the article) and saw what the (their) point was.).

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2011, 3:35 pm

Interesting. My name is alan and my email address is alan @ (3 character domain name) . co . uk Like you I cannot see what would be wrong with this. It is short, to the point, and indicates exactly who I am. Since it is my domain, I jokingly thought of things like thejobsyours @ my domain, but thought it would be a bit facetious.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 3:47 pm

This is job hunting 101 - you never give a creative email.

You and I may not see anything wrong with a creative email address, we may well see it as a sign of humour, a talking point, or somehting to make us stand-out from the crowd, but it's what the employer thinks that counts. A formal email address; [email protected] shows professionalism, it shows you have an email address put aside for formal email/work email rather than just using your normal [unprofessional] email address, it shows that you're serious enough about the job to give a sensible email, etc.

It doesn't show them what you're going to be like in the job, however when an employer is getting thousands of CV's ruling out those with a 'creative' email (you say creative, they may say silly) is an easy way to thin-down the pile - it's all about the numbers, don't give them any reason to exclude you at the first hurdle, it's then in the interview where you show your ability and stand-out from the crowd.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.