Dear Lord, protect me from your followers!

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 11:30 pm

I spent nearly all afternoon perusing through a Facebook group whose goal it is to "protect marriage." Judging by the posts they make, the members of that group sound like genuine lunatics. "I love you so much, I'm going to shove it in your face what a wicked sinner you are and persistently campaign to revoke all of your constitutional rights! Why? Because you're committing the terrible crime of loving the wrong person, that's why!"

Right-wing Christians...just...ugh... :x

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 1:05 am

Aww... I did that to myself 2 years ago. Actually, I was on a FB forum dedicated to marriage equality and a bunch of nutters kept popping up to tell us how wicked we were.

I refuse to go anywhere near those things on FB anymore. Not after last year when I voted and commented on a poll only to have some fundie spam me. One even friended me (over another poll) and publicly announced she had accidentally friended a 'fagot' and couldn't figure out how to unfriend me.

Anyway, my point is FB is a BAD place to get into things like that with strangers. Some of those people are really off their rockers. :-\

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 1:21 am

I'm sorry, Tea. Seriously, some of those people in that group actually think the "Word of God" is more important than the Constitution. They are so ignorant of the true ideals of the Constitution that it's frightening to consider the fact that they have the power to vote.

I see nothing "moral" or "righteous" in those people. They refuse to accept being gay as simply a natural variation of human sexuality. They do not really "love" us. Given the way that they practically go orgasmic over the idea of us burning in hell for all eternity, I believe that they have nothing but animosity toward us. They see ugliness in that which is beautiful and beauty in that which is ugly. As far as I'm concerned, they're the morally bankrupt perverts.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 1:35 am

I agree with you. I just can't handle people like that anymore. I've been dealing with it since I came out at 16 and I have just given up trying to reason with them. For my sanity, I stay away.

I admire those that still have the energy to stand up to them.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 11:14 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

When people like this say, "That's so gay" I will correct them. I will appeal to their moral sense and say something like, "Just because someone is a sinner in your eyes does not give you the moral right to put them down. What would Jesus say?"

Often, showing them that they are contradicting their morals works . Often using the phrase "hate the sin love the sinner" works too. I think its best to leave them in their own little world. They can have their opinions, but they cannot force it on us. (Yet they can because no one takes the Constitution's core message to heart anymore)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 1:55 pm

I despise the phrase "hate the sin, love the sinner" when speaking of the LGBT community. My sexual orientation is part of who I am. You can't separate it and hate it while still loving me.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 2:00 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I agree with you. I just can't handle people like that anymore. I've been dealing with it since I came out at 16 and I have just given up trying to reason with them. For my sanity, I stay away.

Same. My coming out was fairly traumatic and I used to fight against homophobes a fair bit. Now I just don't have the energy to start arguments with every ignorant idiot out there.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 3:16 pm

I'm glad that I don't care too much what people think of me. Most of time....

But looking through stuff like that is just a bad idea. Why put yourself through something that disgusting?

hamption3232
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2011, 3:54 pm

I find it extreamly difficult to deal with the crazy religious people mostly because I go to a Catholic School but I'm not catholic. I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to deal with it everyday. I guess everyone is intitled to their own opinion, although I guess it wouldn't be their own opinion if it has been shoved into their mind since birth, would it?

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2011, 5:20 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I despise the phrase "hate the sin, love the sinner" when speaking of the LGBT community. My sexual orientation is part of who I am. You can't separate it and hate it while still loving me.

My school has this religious group that comes up and pickets every other week or so with signs that say that. Along with "sinners go to hell" signs. It really just pisses me off. I don't understand why people think that it's ok to hate others. When did religion become about hate? For that matter, last I checked I was living in part of the free world, not a part of the world under religious dictatorship. But I guess that just gives those people the right to exist too, huh?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 5:25 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

My school has this religious group that comes up and pickets every other week or so with signs that say that. Along with "sinners go to hell" signs. It really just pisses me off. I don't understand why people think that it's ok to hate others. When did religion become about hate? For that matter, last I checked I was living in part of the free world, not a part of the world under religious dictatorship. But I guess that just gives those people the right to exist too, huh?

That it does.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 6:53 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

That it does.

Pretty sure a lot of the religious right would love to see a fundamentalist dictatorship in the USA.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 7:03 pm

mori_pastel wrote:

They must be delusional if they honestly think they're going to gain any sympathy from others by using methods like that.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 7:03 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
Pretty sure a lot of the religious right would love to see a fundamentalist dictatorship in the USA.

Many think the US already is and has just been pandering to 'the godless'.

hamption3232
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2011, 7:05 pm

Wow I don't know how I would react if my school started making signs about hating people. That isn't nice, I don't like how closed minded some people can be. I thought the whole point of religion was to be kind to everyone, not to pick and choose. There is so much drama in religion. It reminds me of a giant popularity contest to get into heaven. That shouldn't be the point, if people thought like that then they wouldn't need faith, all they would need to do is hate everyone that the bible says to hate and they will be golden for getting into heaven. Some how that doesn't right. lol

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2011, 7:27 pm

Descartes wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:

They must be delusional if they honestly think they're going to gain any sympathy from others by using methods like that.

Yeah. I just can't understand it. I mean, what kind of reaction can anyone like that expect to get? If their goal is to "help" people, shouldn't they be using honey instead of vinegar? It's just... I mean, what is the rational behind it? That's the biggest thing that bothers me. I know there are a lot of people out there who hate the LGBT community, but what are these people expecting to accomplish? Is it a political protest? Are they actually trying to attract members to their church with their hate? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. And not being able to understand just makes it hurt even worse. I can't understand why something like that should exist, so why does it have to?

To hamption: Is it sad that I kind of assumed all schools had some form of anti-gay protests? I honestly wasn't surprised when they first showed up, I was just surprised about how... poignantly phrased their signs were and from how far away you could hear them shouting. It's good to hear that's just a southern ignorance thing. >_<