Confirmed nuclear meltdown in Japanese reactor

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 7:49 am

"It's now official the operator of Japan's stricken nuclear plant has admitted that there's probably been a meltdown in one of the facility's reactors.

TEPCO says water has leaked from one of the reactors, exposing fuel rods and trigging their meltdown. The news doesn't get any betterwith seawater samples near another reactor showing levels of radioactive caesium at 18-thousand times the legal limit."

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/connec ... 216189.htm

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 8:07 am

Yeah, I've been watching the path of the fallout and I've suspected a meltdown for about a week, A source from a Japanese news agency says that both containers are breached and they don't know yet if plutonium got into the ocean. Fukushima 2 and 3 are likely to follow suit.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 May 2011, 12:45 pm

I figured that was bound to happen. I really feel bad for them as they worked so hard to prevent that from happening, but I guess it was enevitable(sp). Of course when I heard that they had 4 nuclear plants in Hirosima...I was suprised since I know they suffered much from WWII and the US nuking them. I thought they would be more wary of nuclear power than that. I really dont like nuclear power for that reason...it is run by machines and machines fail from time to time. However with the kind of power the sun can produce in a man-made machine...is just a receipe for disaster. Time has proven this to be true, time and time again...yet political leaders seem to think that it is a great idea. :roll:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 6:27 pm

I'm not a nuclear engineer, but you'd think they'd try to design the plant so that if the plant lost power it wouldn't melt down. It's like having car that bursts into flames when the battery becomes disconnected.

I'm sure there are technical reasons that that isn't so easy, of course. / Off to google the designs of newer nuclear power plants.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 May 2011, 9:06 pm

I think I read something about during the earthquake...the coolant for the plant was damaged and it leaked out, not just a po, er outage, but I cant be sure exactly, though

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:20 am

That's awful :( You'd think people would learn how dangerous nuclear power is from the whole Chernobyl incident, but no, apparently we know everything about this unstable stuff and can control it... Or not as Fukushima and various other nuclear incidents have shown...

I'm turning into a hippie now, peace out! :flower:

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 2:11 pm

So what's wrong with nuclear power? Isn't the Sun a nuclear reactor?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 9:17 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

1. It is a fusion reactor, not a fission reactor
2. It is 150,000 km from our Planet
3. Out magnetic field protects us from most of the charged particle emissions of the Sun.

The Sun will not become dangerous to life on the planet for another billion years.

ruveyn

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:35 pm

Nuclear power is fine. Unlike San Onofre, kind of near me, the engineers at Fukushima did not include a means to manually shut down the reactors cold in an emergency.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:45 pm

ruveyn wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

1. It is a fusion reactor, not a fission reactor
2. It is 150,000 km from our Planet
3. Out magnetic field protects us from most of the charged particle emissions of the Sun.

The Sun will not become dangerous to life on the planet for another billion years.

ruveyn

Now you have me curious, what is the difference between fission and fusion?? Other than that....well said.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:52 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Nuclear power is fine. Unlike San Onofre, kind of near me, the engineers at Fukushima did not include a means to manually shut down the reactors cold in an emergency.

what if there wasn't an obvious emergency but a small crack that alowed radiation to seep out into the ground water over a long peroid of time??
Or what if all hell broke loose and the manual shut down quit working too because of a terrorist attack??

It is just not safe to have anywhere near living beings.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:59 pm

sorry 1 more point,

What if an incurable hideious disease could produce lots of energy, but there was no 100 percent proven way to prevent an outbreak in surrounding areas??? Is it ok then?? Because that is the same risks of nuclear power.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2011, 7:59 am

last i heard was reactor 1, the top third of the reactor was melted.
however, the water level is below that now.. and they've been dumping water into all three of them for a month...
so.. there's a lot left to explain that one..

there were also rumors that the control rods were not shoved in all the way.

there's still _thousands_ of unanswered questions.

I think they should have pulled earth moving equip from the strip mines in china, dug a hole, welded up a steel tank to fit in it, flooded that with water, then dynamited the buildings and pulled the reactors out of the buildings and put it in the pit.
this could have been done in a week or less.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 4:13 pm

johansen wrote:
last i heard was reactor 1, the top third of the reactor was melted.
however, the water level is below that now.. and they've been dumping water into all three of them for a month...
so.. there's a lot left to explain that one..

there were also rumors that the control rods were not shoved in all the way.

there's still _thousands_ of unanswered questions.

I think they should have pulled earth moving equip from the strip mines in china, dug a hole, welded up a steel tank to fit in it, flooded that with water, then dynamited the buildings and pulled the reactors out of the buildings and put it in the pit.
this could have been done in a week or less.

Yes, they admitted a meltdown a while ago already, when they upgraded the disaster scale of Fukushima. However, If only a third of the fuel core is damaged then that's only a partial meltdown, not a full meltdown. If they recently admitted to a full meltdown, then I haven't seen a mention of it yet on the IAEA website, other than the news reports. The IAEA update on Fukushima from friday just has the words "The situation remains serious". So, I don't know if those news reports are accurate.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 7:49 pm

If you want me to give you an example of a dangerous nuclear reactor the Sun is a perfect example of a nuclear death star.
The Sun's deadly heat radiation when trapped by greenhouse gasses is literally scorching the Earth and making life uninhabitable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 8:56 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
If you want me to give you an example of a dangerous nuclear reactor the Sun is a perfect example of a nuclear death star.
The Sun's deadly heat radiation when trapped by greenhouse gasses is literally scorching the Earth and making life uninhabitable.

Actually the internal heat of the Earth is more dangerous. The Siberian Traps were a million year long volcanic eruption that nearly killed all life on this planet.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Traps

Warming due to CO2 has been nowhere near as destructive.

ruveyn