Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 5:36 pm

wittgenstein wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
i would guess most of us take a lot of things literaly and dont realize it.you may very well be over literal and not know it.my brother in law was talking to me about the movie slum dog millionaire and only then did i realize i had taken something to literaly.i honestly though slum dog millionaire was a dog movie like beverly hills chuwawa or 101 dalmations.

My wife and I went to Thailand. While getting my passport photo taken the photographer told me to lower my chin. I did. She said,"no lower your chin". I thought I must have not lowered it enough,so I lowered it more. It felt weird and I was confused. So I thought maybe they want my face stretched to reveal bone structure,in case they need to identify my skull. Well what the photographer meant was,"lower your head."! :D
I still believe that I am not overly literal (see " 3 of my poems " in the writing section) but sometimes I wonder.

See, I get in trouble for taking things like this literally. For the longest time I had a cream to put on my face and the instructions said to put in on "at bedtime" so I'd put in on and then go to sleep and it would smear all over my face. My mum told me I should just put in on an hour or 2 before I went to bed. I said that the instructions said to put in on at bedtime so I couldn't. My mum said that just meant to put it on at night and I didn't have to take everything so literally. Another example: on the first day of my summer job my supervisor was telling me about my different contacts in the office. He put a list of these contacts on my desk and kept talking about them for awhile. Then he handed me a thumb tack and said "here, you can tack it up on the board". So I stuck the thumb tack itself on the board -not the list he had been talking about-just the tack and stepped back. He was silent for a really really long time until I realized he meant to tack the list on the board with the thumb tack. :roll:

Anyway,I take these kind of things literally and have been accused of having "no common sense intelligence" because of it. However, I understand metaphor and symbolism and I have really good reading comprehension.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 12:58 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
See, I get in trouble for taking things like this literally. For the longest time I had a cream to put on my face and the instructions said to put in on "at bedtime" so I'd put in on and then go to sleep and it would smear all over my face. My mum told me I should just put in on an hour or 2 before I went to bed. I said that the instructions said to put in on at bedtime so I couldn't. My mum said that just meant to put it on at night and I didn't have to take everything so literally.

Also thought that :o Why would they talk about beds otherwise 8O I think language just is too imprecise and faulty. We shouldn't have to guess the meaning of something, which is what NTs do most of the time.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 1:30 am

wittgenstein wrote:
I was diagnosed with aspergers. I have the majority of traits. However, I keep reading that people with aspergers are very literal and have a hard time understanding metaphors. Not only is that not me, my ability to creatively juxtapose seemingly unrelated things and to think metaphorically almost defines me!!
Can a creative artist ( poet etc) have aspergers?

Absolutely yes.

Be aware that autism spectrum and related commorbities constitue a very wide range of symptoms. They share many common elements and a common ground, but this is not a illness with clear symptoms, as 'you cough => you got a cold'.

Usually psychiatrists need to stablish some clear symptoms that they relate to austism, simplifying austist traits. That's not bad, since a diagnosis methods requires not only accuracy, but usability too. So don't take them as an axiom.

And even if you have some limitations, you're a intelligent being. All along your life you find alternative paths to get done what you want. This is your gift some way, since you can offer to the world a way of thinking that other people haven't. If your path to be creative if different for the most usual one... isn't it a good thing?

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 1:39 am

Greb wrote:
If your path to be creative if different for the most usual one... isn't it a good thing?

It's not an unusual path to creativity, it is very common. There are different variations on it. Anyway who cares?

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 2:10 am

Anomiel wrote:
Greb wrote:
If your path to be creative if different for the most usual one... isn't it a good thing?

It's not an unusual path to creativity, it is very common. There are different variations on it. Anyway who cares?

Nobody. Edison said that creativity was 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. And he was one of the most creative people ever. :D