AG-Orwell: Two Theists Running, Two Sides of the Same Coin

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What's causing Awesomelyglorious undermining WP atheism?
Malevolence 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Incompetence 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Corruption 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
All Three 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 9

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:48 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
No, Orwell-AG think that the quality to be judged is willingness to sell out to Fred Phelps - that is to say, the most eager to sell out to Phelps ought to be elected to the best positions on the Strident Atheist Committee.

That's actually why I offered to nominate you. You fit the bill so well.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:50 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
BurntOutMom wrote:
Do all parties running agree that "intellectual virtue, compassion for the downtrodden, and solidarity with the victims of religious violence" are the qualities to be judged?

No, Orwell-AG think that the quality to be judged is willingness to sell out to Fred Phelps.

Granted I wouldn't call myself a groupie of either, so I won't claim that I've read an abundance of their posts... but I've only seen you mention Phelps........?

Care to reference your statements? I, of course, want to make an educated vote.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:57 pm

BurntOutMom wrote:
Thank you for leading to my next question....
Are we looking for the BEST atheist or the most STRIDENTly atheist?
I would find these to be two totally different things.

Do all parties running agree that "intellectual virtue, compassion for the downtrodden, and solidarity with the victims of religious violence" are the qualities to be judged?

Actually, like a number of voting procedures, the qualities to be judged are rather unclear and subjective. Y'know, the person voting for the democrat and the person voting for the republican (or whatever parties you find most meaningful) often don't have the same metrics.

I don't think that those qualities are meaningful to be judged, but that's mostly because M_P literally gave you a line political BS. Candidates explicitly seek to be judged on the following traits:
1) Conformity to the cultural standards of the rationalist community(pro-science, etc)
2) Anti-theism, particularly actions displaying anti-theism, such as open attacks against/criticism towards religious claims and beliefs.
3) Intellectual virtues, such as the ability to reason well, knowledge, ability to argue, etc.
4) Actually being an atheist.

There are additional implicit qualities though, such as showmanship. Basically, during this campaign, some of the candidates are going to be openly putting on a show to display their humor, and how creatively they can attack their opponents. As well as potentially many many other things.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 12:03 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Actually, like a number of voting procedures, the qualities to be judged are rather unclear and subjective. Y'know, the person voting for the democrat and the person voting for the republican (or whatever parties you find most meaningful) often don't have the same metrics.

I don't think that those qualities are meaningful to be judged, but that's mostly because M_P literally gave you a line political BS. Candidates explicitly seek to be judged on the following traits:
1) Conformity to the cultural standards of the rationalist community(pro-science, etc)
2) Anti-theism, particularly actions displaying anti-theism, such as open attacks against/criticism towards religious claims and beliefs.
3) Intellectual virtues, such as the ability to reason well, knowledge, ability to argue, etc.
4) Actually being an atheist.

There are additional implicit qualities though, such as showmanship. Basically, during this campaign, some of the candidates are going to be openly putting on a show to display their humor, and how creatively they can attack their opponents. As well as potentially many many other things.

One, that's why I never strictly vote party.
And so the answer is "The Best Atheist"... whereas, I would find the most "strident" to be the loudest, most obnoxious.

Hmmmmmmmm that definitely narrows my choices...

Thank you for the clarifications! :wink:

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 1:20 am

Orwell has defended the rights of the Phelps family to put their children deliberately in harms way. There's a connection!

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2011, 7:34 am

How many more of these sh*tty threads do we have to put up with?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 4:34 pm

Phelps Operational Documents

Fred Phelps: "Orwell, my fellow Calvinist, you have been essential in our efforts to undermine WP Strident Atheists".

Orwell: "Anything to further God's Pre-Ordained plan, my master".

Fred Phelps: "How did you get Awesomelyglorious to go along?"

Orwell: "Well, he already is a crypto-theist, but giving him bricks of GOLD helped a lot. As a member of the First Church of Austrian Economics, GOLD is a Holy relic to him."

Fred Phelps: "Well, thanks a lot Orwell, you have been instrumental in our grand master plan to criminalize abortions (and ensure a back alley abortion business emerge out on the streets), spread homophobia, persecute atheists, and establish a Christianity theocracy over Wrong Planet".

Orwell: "Whatever God's Pre-Ordained Will wills, my master".

This has been a presentation of the completely neutral, utterly impartial and partially un-bribed Strident Atheist Oversight Committee

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 5:41 pm

HEY! You aren't supposed to do that, Vigilans! How dare you!! I gave you lots of GOLD to secure your support.