Feeling a bit helpless right now....

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 9:29 pm

In just a few months, I will really have to start making my final decisions about grad schools because applications are due this December. The problem is: I still have NO idea what I am going to do with the rest of my life. I have a lot of things I would like to do, but so many limitations that REALISTICALLY those things are highly unlikely. I have NOOOOO idea what to do and how to figure out what I am meant to be for the rest of my life. Any ideas on how to narrow this down and begin to get some confidence in my decisions??

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 12:47 am

If I were you I would make a list of all the pros and cons of the possible choices, and pick the one with the least amount of cons. It always helps me to organize my thoughts on paper before I commit to a tough decision.

Jumla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2011, 7:24 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
In just a few months, I will really have to start making my final decisions about grad schools because applications are due this December. The problem is: I still have NO idea what I am going to do with the rest of my life. I have a lot of things I would like to do, but so many limitations that REALISTICALLY those things are highly unlikely. I have NOOOOO idea what to do and how to figure out what I am meant to be for the rest of my life. Any ideas on how to narrow this down and begin to get some confidence in my decisions??

I'm kind of in a similar position - I know what I want to pursue in terms of the subject area, but am doubtful as to whether I have the capacity (due to the AS issue) to work in that field following grad school. I've come to the conclusion that if I go ahead with the graduate degree, it's going to be something akin to a 'leap of faith', which may not pay off in terms of future career.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, from what I gather, the majority of people don't stay in the one career all their lives, so I wouldn't neccessarily look on any decision you make now as one binding for the rest of your life.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 7:45 pm

I get overwhelmed with too many choices, but if I list them all across the top of a page and also down the side, I can compare them one to one. Then, I just add up which one got the most votes. If nothing else, it gives me something easier to focus on, and stops my mind racing.

bolduc09
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2011, 4:31 pm

what are your favorite hobbies? i like baking and cooking, so i am going into that. im good with my hands and enjoy woodwork so i have researched different jobs i can do making furniture and such. i like acting and watching movies, so i have considered different options in that field as well. dont do something you know already but dont like. choose something you enjoy doing! like excersising? take a course in physical health and fitness and even a course in psycology to go with it, then learn to become a personal trainer or instructor.

find out what you love to do, and see what jobs and university/college courses go with that.

or go to a career advisor and take a couple tests to see what jobs you would be good at