Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 2:56 am

Oh, and don't worry, despiting the disgusting, immoral, heartless, and morally depraved opposition of the Catholic Church, Same-Sex Marriage passed in Canada and, as of 2005, they've been legally available from Coast to Coast to Coast.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 5:48 am

Henbane wrote:
Moog wrote:
Cup of tea, then rebirth.

Do you think, while you are having your cup of tea, you will be aware of all the lives you have lived previously? And will it be earl grey, or sencha green tea?

I don't actually have a solid belief in rebirth. I'm agnostic.

Quote:
I used to have quite a negative opinion of Buddhism. I was turned off by the idea that all is suffering. It seemed so depressing. But then I spent 15 years with depression, and now it seems quite realistic. I realise that's not really what the idea is about, it doesn't just refer to depressed people. But I feel less negative about Buddhism than I used to.

Well, I'm glad you don't see it so negatively, as it is not.

Dukkha (often straight translated as 'suffering') has a particular meaning in Pali that has no exact correlate in the English language.

"Dukkha is a Pali term roughly corresponding to a number of terms in English including suffering, pain, discontent, unsatisfactoriness, unhappiness, sorrow, affliction, anxiety, dissatisfaction, discomfort, anguish, stress, misery, and frustration."

I think for westerners, the Noble Truths might not the best entry point to Buddhism. A lot of people seem to get hung up on the first noble truth. I emphasise meditation. With regular meditation comes an experiential understanding of what the Buddha (and all the mystics of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, et al.) meant.

I came to Buddhism during a period of intense depression, an existential crisis. And since then, the Eightfold Path has become the structural framework of my life.

Quote:
One of my biggest problems with Christianity is suffering, not just of people but of animals. The idea that Eve is to blame for all that suffering is preposterous. And I've never understood how any benevolent God could create a world, knowing what would happen, and yet condemning so many living beings to so much suffering.

I don't know how to express it in any very understandable way, but I think that mostly we humans misunderstand suffering and the purpose of life and death in a fundamental way.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 1:36 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Gotta love religions which are LITERALLY patriarchal.

You mean ones where certain church officials hold the title "Patriarchos"?

Or do you include those where certain characters in the early layers of scripture - being eponymous ancestors of certain groups, get labelled patriarchs?

weez
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2018, 3:33 pm

Ok , I have to say I do not believe in an afterlife. Or at least I didn't. BUT , I have had an experience and a friend was with me ,I was used by ? (i think it was a dying woman who wanted to see her adopted son before she died).
Anyway for reasons I did not know I went for a 10 hour drive to pick up a friend and we had a car problem on the way back to his mothers home which was in the same town as my own. A police officer stopped me on my way back and to make a long story short, this officer did not have a good grasp of the english language .He said some things that made no sense at all.
He had a plan that would keep me going and it was not legal and he insisted i do this and kept on me until i agreed to do it . I was 4 hours from my destination and he told me to but on my hazard lights and to get in the fast lane and go go go and do not stop and he promised me i would not get stopped by another cop and get a ticket (my tail lights had gone out and that is why he stopped me) it was dark. When I finally agreed he said good now go.
I had not turned off my car during this , so I put on my left blinker and looked back as I was waiting for the cop to go ahead and pull out before I did..........and he was not there......he literally fanished ...no joke this off the wall could not even speak english properly cop and his car had disappeared. My friend and I had not been drinking we were not taking drugs.
I still did as he said and after a few mins i looked at my friend and asked "we did just get pulled over right? " and he looked as if he were in a trance and nodded yes. But i knew we did .....anyway I got that man home to his mother just in time to say goodbye to his mother before she died, nobody even knew she was sick until we arrived at her house and if the cop had not intervened and told me to keep driving with only hazard lights i would have gotten off the freeway and did whatever it took to fix that even if it was just a fuse ,his mother would not have been able to tell him goodbye. this happened about 12 years or so ago and I am still left wondering , that cop can not be explained in any way that us humans know . WHO AND WHAT WAS HE....all I know is he was not a figment of mine or my friends imagination. SO WHAT WAS HE ...also there is much more to this than I have space for ive already used too much.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? or experiences like this ??

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 3:57 pm

I think forgiveness is possible for suicide.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia