Page 3 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 4:06 pm

Or, less sarcastically [play nice, just because he's like that doesn't mean you have to be]:

Think a bit on Job.

Add in Saul, Jonah, and if you will go so far Judas and Paul [here Paul to distinguish him from the other Saul] [like what is it to you, do you disbelieve one book more than another?].

You might have to think but you do not have to work.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 5:46 pm

b9 wrote:
Henbane wrote:
I'd like to know what people with any sort of spiritual or religious belief thinks happens to a person after death, if they kill themselves. Do you think they go to 'hell' automatically? Or is forgiveness possible? What if you attempt suicide and fail, does this still count as a suicide when you do eventually die?

i have no religious propensity, but i am not "certain" (like atheists are) that consciousness is intrinsic to only our physical bodies, and therefore perishes at death.

i know that there are states of existence that are not materially manifest (like energy for example (i know that energy can be raveled into matter, but i am talking about energy that is unbound)). since i participate in material existence, then i may also participate in energetic existence.

as far as i can determine, my consciousness is a local bubble of consciousness that is the result of my illusion of separateness from the universe in which i am conscious.

i think "i am me and no-one else", and that may be my illusion of separateness. i can conceive that it may be possible that every consciousness (human or not) is a "tap" into the same pool of universal consciousness, so the "me" that i refer to when i say "me", may very well be exactly the same "me" you refer to when you say "me".

i can conceive that when i die, the bubble will pop, and i will, like a disintegrated soap bubble on the surface of a pool of water, dissolve and dilute and permeate through it, and my previous personal identity will be meaningless as it can never be retrieved from the pool.

i find it hard to imagine that separate entities could exist in a world where compartmentalization is impossible. "compartmentalization" is a product of logic that lives in living brains, and it disintegrates once the brain is lost. there is no notional boundaries or definitions when consciousness is pure and still.

what is the mechanism behind my original separation from the eternal ocean of consciousness in order to be born into a brain which thinks it is subjectively unique? am i a single bubble in a vast froth on the sea of consciousness that has been whipped up in some sort of temporal turbulence?
when i pop back into the sea i will lose my identity. it is like a glass of water. the water molecules in the glass are going to lose their relationship with each other when the glass is poured and the water is dispersed, and those exact molecules will never again be in each others vicinity.

all glasses of water are ostensibly the same, but the histories of each molecule of water (wow what a story if it could be told) would be unrelated before they arrived by fate into the same glass.

i think my consciousness (soul) can be thought of similarly. the molecules of "consciousness" (i am being figurative so save your keyboard) that compose "me" are only collected in "me" while i live. when i die they will just dissipate and become infinitely dilute within the endlessness of "consciousness possibilities" (sea of consciousness).

whatever. i will try to address your question using your own belief system.
if there is a god who is like a judge who deems whether you go to heaven or hell based upon your actions while you were alive, then it would have to be true that he is fair. if he created you, then he must love you, and he would not be merciless to you.
the fact that you do not know whether the sentence for suicide is "hell", means that you can not be held accountable to the degree that "hell" would be the verdict for your suicide.

i can not imagine a process of thought beyond that because i am not a philosopher.

I would love to have had the patience to spell it out so succinctly, the bubble on the pond analogy is perfect. :salut:

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 6:03 pm

I don't believe in death.

What are you - what makes you YOU, and not another person? Answer: your genes (your DNA) and your memes (your ideas). The rest - the physical body - merely regenerates. Most of your cells regenerate every few months. What we call death is just a stage in regeneration.

Your appearance changes completely from age 0 to age 1 to age 10 to age 20 to age 90. If you have children then your DNA continues regenerating through them. If you have no children then your DNA survives through your extended family. It's the exact same DNA, more or less (maybe 1% different, that's al). Some DNA is billions of years old and will continue indefinitely (assuming we colonize other planets before our species becomes extinct).

The same is true of memes. They are passed on and survive. Sure, they change,and bad memes are discarded, but that's healthy. Your kids keep the good memes and lose the bad ones, just as you rejected some of your own memes you had as a child and kept others. It's how we survive in a changing world. What we call death is merely a dramatic change, but no more dramatic than birth. No more dramatic than puberty, though a bit quicker.

Half the ideas in your head (like breathing or sexual desire) are habits laid down through millions of years of evolution, and half the things you remember are from the media, often from before you were born. We are billions of years old, we could easily outlast this planet, and Death is just part of our cycle.

It probably helps to understand this if we reject the idea that time flows, but that is a whole other topic. :)

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 6:16 pm

Quote:
What are you - what makes you YOU, and not another person? Answer: your genes (your DNA) and your memes (your ideas). The rest - the physical body - merely regenerates. Most of your cells regenerate every few months. What we call death is just a stage in regeneration.

Answer; my Subjective Consciousness.

There's more than one answer to that question, not all of which are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
If you have children then your DNA continues regenerating through them. If you have no children then your DNA survives through your extended family. It's the exact same DNA, more or less (maybe 1% different, that's al). Some DNA is billions of years old and will continue indefinitely (assuming we colonize other planets before our species becomes extinct).

DNA incompletely regenerates; it accumulates mutations, leading to cancer, and telomeric shortening. In any case, the argument is akin to saying that I am a star, because I'm a largely carbon-composed creature; there are better ways to define yourself that the recipe from which you are derived.

I will die, because my consciousness will cease. My ATGC's will pass on.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 6:34 pm

ryan93 wrote:

There's more than one answer to that question, not all of which are mutually exclusive.

Agreed. But we could debate what consciousness is, how conscious we are, and the question of identity.

I would argue that memes and consciousness are identical, if we take "consciousness" as meaning "what we are conscious of." I would thus argue that consciousness survives death because memes survive. As for the question of identity and transference, my own consciousness today has more in common with my parents' consciousness than it does with my body's consciousness when I was first born.

ryan93 wrote:
there are better ways to define yourself that the recipe from which you are derived.

Agreed. That's why I place equal emphasis on memes.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 6:50 pm

trappedinhell wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

Agreed. But we could debate what consciousness is, how conscious we are, and the question of identity.

I would argue that memes and consciousness are identical, if we take "consciousness" as meaning "what we are conscious of." I would thus argue that consciousness survives death because memes survive. As for the question of identity and transference, my own consciousness today has more in common with my parents' consciousness than it does with my body's consciousness when I was first born.

ryan93 wrote:
there are better ways to define yourself that the recipe from which you are derived.

Agreed. That's why I place equal emphasis on memes.

Perhaps memes are the units of consciousness, but they are non-transmissible in the sense that memes are not actively shared, but rather data is outputted, sensory data is taken in, and a distinct, but similar meme is formed. My subjective experience does not hop to others, and I suspect it will die with my brain.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 7:27 pm

ryan93 wrote:
My subjective experience does not hop to other

I'm not so sure about that. Experience, even a particular point of view such as a memory of an image or a sound, is just information, and information can be shared.

It is true that the other person may experience it a little differently, just like a movie is different on a cinema and on an iPhone. Information is fluid, but that is true even within the individual. Every time I see the same object myself I see it in a slightly different way, and when people remember things it is common to change the memory slightly, hence memories can be wrong when we check.

Subjectivity is fluid, and changes anyway, so I don't see a problem with the small changes that occur when experiences are shared.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 7:45 pm

Henbane wrote:
TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
The following lyrics are from the last part of a song I wrote called
Death (Copyright ©1995 to The Bicycling Guitarist)

When you die are you no more or will you somehow live forever,
passing through some secret door beyond your life to where you never
hurt or sicken or grow old, never fear the loneliness,
never feel the heat or cold, living free and happy in the

loving arms of God's amazing grace,
talking with the friends you thought were lost,
free from all regrets and all disgrace,
at what a cost!

To believe this would be nice:
if you read the Bible,
it says Jesus paid the price.

But if there is no afterlife, it doesn't matter when I get there.
I won't feel the stress or strife. I will be completely unaware
as I am food for worms, turning back to dust I am made from.
I won't miss my parents then. I won't know a thing and so I

figure it's o.k. either way.
Death is part of life after all.
It will find each of us someday,
and when it calls, we all must fall.

I like this a lot, thankyou.

thank YOU. I appreciate being appreciated. I have many songs with great lyrics even if I'm not the best singer, but then I am not known as The Bicycling Singer. Most of my best stuff has not yet been recorded at all, and none of my stuff has yet had a decent recording made. I haven't heard of Chris Wood, but I haven't really followed anyone else's music the past thirty years or so. I have my own songs in my head all the time.

I badly need to be recorded (as opposed to being recorded badly, which is all that's happened so far) before my talents fade. Please help spread the word about "The Bicycling Guitarist" to anyone and everyone that might help me get "discovered" before I get too much older. thanks

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 8:00 pm

trappedinhell wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
My subjective experience does not hop to other

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. Experience, even a particular point of view such as a memory of an image or a sound, is just information, and information can be shared.

It is true that the other person may experience it a little differently, just like a movie is different on a cinema and on an iPhone. Information is fluid, but that is true even within the individual. Every time I see the same object myself I see it in a slightly different way, and when people remember things it is common to change the memory slightly, hence memories can be wrong when we check.

Subjectivity is fluid, and changes anyway, so I don't see a problem with the small changes that occur when experiences are shared.

It's a claim big enough to require evidence. In any case, there isn't a one to one mapping of sense to meme (people see edges, for example, but not all the detail inbetween), and there is no reason to assume anything is transferred rather than cloned. We don't understand enough about consciousness to make assumptions as it is.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 1:42 am

ryan93 wrote:
We don't understand enough about consciousness to make assumptions as it is.

Why should consciousness be complicated? We are only conscious of what we are conscious of: the six or seven items in short term memory. These things are all information: connections between neurons. Any significance derives from an evolved preference to survive. Applying Occam's razor, what else are we looking for? Consciousness seems pretty straightforward to me, unless I am missing something.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 8:45 am

trappedinhell wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
We don't understand enough about consciousness to make assumptions as it is.

Why should consciousness be complicated? We are only conscious of what we are conscious of: the six or seven items in short term memory. These things are all information: connections between neurons. Any significance derives from an evolved preference to survive. Applying Occam's razor, what else are we looking for? Consciousness seems pretty straightforward to me, unless I am missing something.

ROFL.

This + your drivel in L&D really makes me think you're my logic professor come to retest me on the List of Common Fallacies sheet we received on the first day of class.

:lol:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:22 am

Some theories in quantum mechanics suggest consciousness affects everything. Also, consciousness seems to act to limit the information on which we focus, rather than positively choose what information we receive. We absorb a lot more than we notice. Morphic field theory (see www.sheldrake.org) demonstrates connections among consciousness that act in a way our current theories of information exchange cannot explain.

For every answer, another question arises.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 17 May 2011, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:24 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Some theories in quantum mechanics suggest consciousness affects everything. Also, consciousness seems to act to limit the information on which we focus, rather than positively choose what information we receive. We absorb a lot more than we notice. Morphic field theory (see sheldrake.org) demonstrates connections among consciousness that act in a way our current theories of information exchange cannot explain.

Is there any empirical corroberation of morphic field theory?

ruveyn

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 11:57 am

ruveyn wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Some theories in quantum mechanics suggest consciousness affects everything. Also, consciousness seems to act to limit the information on which we focus, rather than positively choose what information we receive. We absorb a lot more than we notice. Morphic field theory (see sheldrake.org) demonstrates connections among consciousness that act in a way our current theories of information exchange cannot explain.

Is there any empirical corroberation of morphic field theory?

ruveyn

I find it hard to take that question as a serious and openminded inquiry, nothing personal I assure you. Determined skeptics like to move the goalposts. Here's the link from Rupert Sheldrake's site. Or, you could try some of the experiments for yourself, here.

I like that you engage me in discussion, ruveyn, and hope that we can grow to see each other as worthy opponents, even if we continue to disagree. :wink:

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 12:25 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
This + your drivel in L&D

Could you be more specific? Could you pinpoint a line you did not follow?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 1:03 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

On a side note, I find the Catholic belief of "suicide as always sinful" repulsive, dangerous, self-righteous, and harmful.

It's brutal and sick and ignorant. But this isn't exclusive to Catholics. Protestants and Baptists believe this as well. In fact, if you want to take the Bible at its word, they all should believe as much.

I wish they'd reform a lot of things in the tenants, or just start looking the other way. It's not they haven't done that with practically the entire old testament.