My tasteless Random Discussion threads

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:46 am

I admit that I've been making a lot of bad threads in Random Discussion lately. I've been making attempts at initiating small talk and it's backfired on me. My topics in this sub forum used to be really good. It's like the good ideas have dried up or something.

I remember when I was 10 and obsessed with the USA, my mum used to get very angry at me for talking about that country all the time. She told me that there were a variety of things that I can talk about. I took that very literally and made up a variety of things to talk about. Some of the things were good and some of the things weren't so good. I can make small talk and talk about a variety of things, as long as other people pave the way for me and start those conversations.

What does this have to do with WrongPlanet in 2010, instead of my childhood in 1985? A couple of times when I really felt like saying something about The Kinks, I've started a thread instead. My first bad thread was about those IMVU girls and the second one was intended to be a fun game about fattening up celebrities. I was attempting to make small talk, instead of allowing myself to be myself.

You and I are different. The way that your AS manifests is that most of you are ruled by your high intelligence and your logic. I'm ruled by my special interests, emotions and immaturity, if you wish to call it immaturity. Where you guys are able to have those deep discussions on a variety of intellectual matters, I only have the ability to talk about The Kinks, Mick Avory and spam their songs here. I need you guys to accept me as I am. I was only attempting to make small talk by making up a variety of threads on different topics to impress you. I've gotten very bad at it, lately.

Let me be a Kinks Fan. Let me be myself.

This will be the last thread that I start in Random Discussion for a month, until I make up a two page list on tasteful things to start topics on.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:54 am

It's ok CockneyRebel, we all put our foot in it sometimes. And weight is a very sensitive topic (controversy/arguments about this have been raging across WP for ages; heaps of people have gotten in trouble for things they've said - it's not just you).

Don't stress about the whole "intellectual topics" thing - look I don't talk about topics that don't interest me either. I've barely set foot in PPR in all the time I've been on WP. This doesn't mean that I'm stupid/not intellectual, it's just that politics and religion are not special interest areas for me. I have a much broader range of special interests than most aspies (I think partly due to my comorbid ADD), but I tend to show zero interest in topics outside of these interests unless forced, or unless my special interest in "learning stuff" is active - which basically means I try to learn as much random stuff as possible.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 5:02 am

I thought the fattening up celeb thread was funny :lol:

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 May 2011, 5:35 am

It ok, Cockney, Your just "kinky" and that is cool. :wink:

Have you had any luck with Rolling stones magizine to find your hero??

Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:48 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I admit that I've been making a lot of bad threads in Random Discussion lately. I've been making attempts at initiating small talk and it's backfired on me. My topics in this sub forum used to be really good. It's like the good ideas have dried up or something.

I don't even make topics for a fear of this. Don't feel too bad.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:46 am

jojobean wrote:
It ok, Cockney, Your just "kinky" and that is cool. :wink:

Have you had any luck with Rolling stones magizine to find your hero??

Not yet. I've found the address of the magazine on the Internet today. I'm wondering if the letter should be typed or written.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:50 am

What was wrong with the fat celebs one?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 9:19 am

i respect you a great deal, CockneyRebel, and i like to hear you talk about Mick Avory and The Kinks. please don't ever stop!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 9:34 am

hale_bopp wrote:

It offended a lot of members, and I don't like the feeling that I get when I've realized that I've hurt another person, even if it was by accident.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 9:48 am

No one cares.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 9:49 am

no one cares about what?

i think CockneyRebel felt bad and was taking the time to express her feelings. if that isn't interesting to you, then you really don't have any reason to post in her thread.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 9:56 am

hyperlexian wrote:
no one cares about what?

i think CockneyRebel felt bad and was taking the time to express her feelings. if that isn't interesting to you, then you really don't have any reason to post in her thread.

It's the abundance of them.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:05 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
no one cares about what?

It's the abundance of them.

well, a lot of people do enjoy her threads in all their abundance. she is a popular member here on WP, and a lot of us would be sad to see her posting less. it doesn't cause any harm to other users at all.

posting comments like you made will probably hurt her feelings, and will not serve any constructive purpose. what would work instead is if you don't post in her threads, because then you don't have to read about the subject matter and you also make her threads less popular. posting in here has the exact opposite effect, with the added effect of potentially making her feel bad.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:13 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

It offended a lot of members, and I don't like the feeling that I get when I've realized that I've hurt another person, even if it was by accident.

That doesn't automatically mean it's you with the problem.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:16 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Don't sweat it. I was offended but it didn't lower my opinion of you and your personality. Keep it up. :wink:

So I'm never in a rush

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:43 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

I could see that it may offend people, in the same way that if someone posted a thread about fat celebrities who need to lose weight could offend some people. But there are lots of threads that can offend someone, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

People who have been around here long enough will be able to tell if a poster is intentionally trying to cause offence or if it happens unintentionally.

Remember to be who you want to be.

One of my favourite Kinks songs, I remember this from when I was a child.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2kFrGluKs[/youtube]