Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Were you bullied?
Yes, emotional bullying only 15%  15%  [ 15 ]
Yes, mostly emotional bullying, but a little of physical bullying as 52%  52%  [ 54 ]
Yes, half physical bullying and half emotional bullying 25%  25%  [ 26 ]
Yes, mostly physical bullying, but some emotional bullying 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Yes, physical bullying only 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 103

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:50 am

Were you?

I have been emotionally bullied, but never physically bullied.

Emotionally: Teasing, taunting, exclusion, people making rude faces or gestures at you, etc.

Physical: Pushing, punching, hair pulling, pinching, etc.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:56 am

Yes. Mostly physical, but some emotional.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 11:58 am

I haven't been bullied more than most NTs, despite my eccentricity... I don't really know exactly why this is. I read of all of these bullying incidences that involve people with AS, and I think I have some "theories" for why I was/am not bullied as often:

a) I have always been taller than everyone. I was the tallest kid in my public primary school starting in grade 4 or so (had 5 grades.) I'm only about 5 feet, 7 and a half inches-5'8" now... from average-to-slightly tall for the US, but I have been this height since I was in grade 6. :lol:
b) For physical bullying: I'm female; physical bullying isn't as rampant among the female populations as it is among the male ones. (Though that's changing as females in general lose more and more respect towards ladylike behavior as days go on.)
c) I have been fortunate enough to go to schools that have little tolerance for such immaturity.
d) I have built a reputation of sorts for "standing up" for myself. As far as I can see, I am not viewed as "weak" or "vulnerable." I don't sit there and take it like I used to whenever it would happen when I was in primary school.

I was excluded some in primary school/early secondary school, but as far as insults have gone, they are almost never dealt out to me. I really feel for those who are bullied day-to-day.
I've never been bullied physically.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 12:00 pm

Mostly exclusion, nothing really physical except one or two times, occasionally teased.

MrMagpie
Raven
Raven

15 May 2011, 12:05 pm

Mostly emotional, a little physical, although I never really thought of it as bullying. I suppose at the time I wasn't really sure what was going on and why certain people were suddenly so interested in me, although I started to assume the behaviour must be mean-spirited as people I told about it seemed upset on my behalf.

Luckily, individual bullies tended to get bored pretty quickly once they realized I wasn't going to react to their taunting. :roll:

Last edited by MrMagpie on 15 May 2011, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 12:05 pm

Both.

Emotional: Taunted, laughed at, stared at, teased, called every rude/derogatory name for a disabled person under the sun, excluded, sworn at, threatened with acid, imitated (tics/mannerisms).

Physical: Slapped, kicked, punched, poked, pulled, hair pulled out, used for target practice (usually my own pencil case which was metal) and set on fire.

I was told by teachers to 'stop acting so odd'.

Raindance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2011, 1:01 pm

I was bullied in all my schools, mostly emotional, some physical like pushing. I did learn to stand up for myself, but i also learned to just ignore it, if people dont like me, thats their problem.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2011, 1:16 pm

I was always an outisder at school, except for in 5th and 6th grade. I had a few friends back then and I was just a bit more normal, socially. For the rest of the time, I was mostly bullied (sometimes it took a while for them to exclude me or until I would isolate) until last year, which was when I was 15. I came to a new class where I finally got what I wanted: People are leaving me alone and I am leaving them alone.

I wonder if I'll ever have any close friends in the future.

My bullying was mostly emotional but some of it was physical and some of it was really violent.

Hands
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2011, 1:26 pm

Yes, at every school I went to. Mostly emotional and some physical. Teachers were never any help, their usual response was that I had brought it on myself by being "different".

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

15 May 2011, 1:35 pm

I'm relatively large and I have a semi-aggressive and threatening demeanor, so I'm suspecting that's why I've never been physically bullied save for 1st grade. I've been emotionally bullied throughout my years, but I don't think I've been bullied significantly worse than the average person, honestly. I don't really know how badly the "average person" gets bullied, however, so I could be wrong.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

15 May 2011, 1:41 pm

MrMagpie wrote:
Mostly emotional, a little physical, although I never really thought of it as bullying. I suppose at the time I wasn't really sure what was going on and why certain people were suddenly so interested in me, although I started to assume the behaviour must be mean-spirited as people I told about it seemed upset on my behalf.

I chuckled at imagining the situation of someone recounting what happened, and then the person becoming upset and that someone naively wondering "What is she so upset about?".

Yep, I'm starting to think I'm definitely not aspie.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 1:46 pm

Yes. Mostly psychological, a lot of threats of violence, and some actual violence. The psychological bullying had a much greater effect than the violence.

MrMagpie
Raven
Raven

15 May 2011, 1:54 pm

swbluto wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:

I chuckled at imagining the situation of someone recounting what happened, and then the person becoming upset and that someone naively wondering "What is she so upset about?".

Yep, I'm starting to think I'm definitely not aspie.

That was exactly what happened, actually. It took me a long time to figure out that the people constantly talking to me weren't really interested in what I was saying and were probably making fun of me. Ah, high school memories. :roll:

Unlike quite a few of the other people on this thread, though, I was actually closest with teachers of mine, especially my English and Poetry teacher. They would share books with me and we would recommend films to each other. They were the only things that made high school even vaguely interesting for me.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Emotionally: Teasing, taunting, exclusion, people making rude faces or gestures at you, etc.

Physical: Pushing, punching, hair pulling, pinching, etc.

Try and find someone who hasn’t been subject to most of these at one time or another. Whether it was done as a form of "bullying" or not is another matter since bullying is usually a matter of coercion through intimidation or physical force.

I have received and handed out just about all of the above at one time or another and it usually wasn't about coercion.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 2:34 pm

Rarely physical, but there were some isolated incidents. It was often emotional.

Noob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2011, 2:44 pm

Yes, mostly emotional bullying, but a little of physical bullying as well .

In front of teachers, by teachers, by students. Different people throughout my school life. I remember one time I got punched in the kidneys whilst sitting in class, the teach who saw it said 'just get on with your work' and asked the boy to go back to his seat. It wasn't the last time he did it-I think he was jealous of because the girl he like fancied me. :lol:

They pick on the weak.