Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mightydargor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2011, 8:17 am

I'm a self-taught PHP programmer and I highly suggest you to start with this language. Then you can learn C easily, the syntax is very similar as far as I know.

obichris
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

PHP is very useful and it was my primary web scripting language for many years, but be very careful to learn good technique. It is very easy to form bad habits in PHP.

meeemoi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

thanks,

I will look in to this, I'm wondering by mastering such a language if there would be a high demand for my services, by this i mean would i be able to expect to receive over 50 k a year. I would imagine there would be a lot more to learn?

Is there anything an aspie can pick up fairly quickly (1 year) and expect to make some decent money?

obichris

02 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm

A good web developer can expect that. It will take some time.

I have hired junior programmers starting at about 35k and senior programmers starting around 85k. Consultants can demand anywhere from $75/hour on the very low end to $185/hour on the high end.

For me it all depends on efficiency, independence, and accuracy. Much about programming is thinking of all the possibilities and making the most bullet proof code possible. Users will do the weirdest things that will break a program.

meeemoi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

hmm not too bad

WeirdAlYankovicFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2011, 1:41 am

Yup! One here! (Javascript, VBS, exe. command-line, C++, HEX, and HTML.)

As for learning it depends on your capacity for comprehension. Upon my first usage with a computer system (Windows XP: Home Edition, to be specific) at age 6, I had became fascinated with the matter and was curious as to how the machines operated, and how they handled numerous accounts of data. I self-taught myself for the majority of the time, without the need for manuals due to my then relatively short attention span. VBS had only taken me a couple of days for me to initiate small-size, basic script/program writing. It is also fun and you can write it on 'notepad' (for those with a Windows-based Operating System), then save the file and manually convert it to VBS by adding the .vbs extension on the end of the file title. My first 'program' was a small script in which you only had to click an icon and my disk drive would open up, then close again within 5 seconds. Kinda lazy...but yeah. My first command-line script was placing image files (png. bmp. jpeg.) into another file, though the image files were not visible until the substitute file (within any OS-readable format) was opened.

There is a good Wikibooks.org article on C++ programming, which covers numerous key topics on it. Check it out.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C++_Progra ... l_Chapters

paranoidandroid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2011, 8:30 pm

i'm currently learning python 3, and it seems pretty simple. ive gotten quite a bit into it, and it really does introduce all the basic componats that other languages have.
i have in the pasat attempted at learning c# and java, and i was put off by all the mathematical jargon that came up.
then again, when i first started to learn it, i was only 13, and i didnt really have a good enoguh understanding of basic mathematics, let alone patience to spend hours wrtting code.
i also, had no interest in it, whcih is truley a big factor, when i come to programming. if you have no interest, you just dont catch on. maybe thats an aspie trait, i dont know.

if you know alot of maths, which i believe i am average at, you could go straight into c++, java or whatever else.
i am personally interested in maths. number sequences is a biggie for me, something which is rife in programming, and a basic aspect in learning.

my idea is that, whatever you like, and are naturally good at, follow it. i originally wanted to be an archiologist/historian, and wanted to do a history degree, but i was put off it because i am useless at writing essays, and my handwriting is terrible. something which didnt hit me as being a bit part of my life, but something i am/was good at, was computers, so thats my goal in life.

good luck.

ND:
a good tut for starting python 3. it really fives you a good start, with out making you feel 5.
google
"invent with python"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

Yes

meeemoi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

Well I have diverted my focus on things that help me in a field that may or may not be a good field for me. Maybe I got lucky to be in this field for so long with too many social issues that i have in the real world. I was probably sounded by more open minded people that those that are usually in my field.

Now i have to take a risk, this would mean changing the environment in which i work and the people.

I'm thinking that it may be a good time to find what out what domain is best for me.

As a child i did some very simple programing. This was on a IBM XT, before the 3.5 came out, just the floppy disks. i dont know i was but it was defiantly under grade 3 but could be easly earlier. I also have difficulty thinking of this as a special ability and think that it is pretty basic stuff. you tell me.

GW basic. i played around and made simple programs of maybe 10 lines.
dos. I made autoexec files that would load up a program on boot automatically and then added some voice so it would say my name.

I did love it, but my source of information was limited, I got bored of it as soon as i reached my maximum goals attainable which was the above..

All of this cam very naturally and i enjoyed it, but it was really really easy, yet no one my age had any clue. is this something you would consider normal or easy or is it comparable to you guys at this age