Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:
The only people that care about property rights are landed gentry.

Following that logic I guess that means the only people that care about gay rights are gays.
Hmmmmm……………:chin:

Anyhow, I don’t see an issue with property rights as it applies to civil rights.
Do you all think that “Whites Only” signs are going to start popping up on all white owned businesses?
‘Fraid not, because that would even drive away more white business than they can afford to lose in addition to the inevitable vandalism from “non-whites”.
Some of them might want to hang signs like that but they won’t except for an insignificantly very small minority.

As I recall, not a whole lot of businesses went bankrupt because they had denied black Americans service before desegregation.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Different times, different scenario. That sort of thing wouldn't fly anymore, in most places, and really would likely cause financial disruption to businesses.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:13 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

Following that logic I guess that means the only people that care about gay rights are gays.

Anyhow, I don’t see an issue with property rights as it applies to civil rights.
Do you all think that “Whites Only” signs are going to start popping up on all white owned businesses?
‘Fraid not, because that would even drive away more white business than they can afford to lose in addition to the inevitable vandalism from “non-whites”.
Some of them might want to hang signs like that but they won’t except for an insignificantly very small minority.

As I recall, not a whole lot of businesses went bankrupt because they had denied black Americans service before desegregation.

Different times, different scenario. That sort of thing wouldn't fly anymore, in most places, and really would likely cause financial disruption to businesses.

But I, for one, never lose faith in people's self destructive hatred and bigotry.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

But I, for one, never lose faith in people's self destructive hatred and bigotry.

That is something that is usually quite reliable. I've certainly been passed over jobs and been denied service because of the language I was raised with

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:19 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

That is something that is usually quite reliable. I've certainly been passed over jobs and been denied service because of the language I was raised with

I was raised with a lot of profanity, too............ :D

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:20 pm

Raptor wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

I was raised with a lot of profanity, too............ :D

:lol: I just can't stop with the f*****g profanity... draggin' me down...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

I don't know where you live but around here society has changed quite a bit since the segregation era. Getting back to another current thread, I certainly don't credit the change in society with having "tolerance" and all of it's thorns of kindness shoved down our throats but more of natural social acclimation over the years.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

I don't know where you live but around here society has changed quite a bit since the segregation era. Getting back to another current thread, I certainly don't credit the change in society with having "tolerance" and all of it's thorns of kindness shoved down our throats but more of natural social acclimation over the years.

I think you sometimes have to shove doing the right thing down people's throats. Civil rights was a perfect example. And I simply don't believe that that was going to happen simply by "social acclimation" over the years.
But, yes, I do admit that perhaps in this case, I'm guilty of a little hyperbole. Things aren't as bad as they had once been.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 9:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

I think you sometimes have to shove doing the right thing down people's throats. Civil rights was a perfect example. And I simply don't believe that that was going to happen simply by "social acclimation" over the years.
But, yes, I do admit that perhaps in this case, I'm guilty of a little hyperbole. Things aren't as bad as they had once been.

Shoving things down peoples throats doesn't work on the average human and that breeds resentment and resistance.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 10:19 pm

Property rights are not absolute.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:15 am

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dionysian wrote:
Quote:

Shoving things down peoples throats doesn't work on the average human and that breeds resentment and resistance.

But it can in fact work, as with civil rights.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:35 pm

As property rights are civil rights subject to the law, then civil rights came first. There never were absolute property rights. Those who owned land had to do so under conditions as part of an arrangement with the Crown. The Crown could demand taxes or that soldiers be raised for battle. Moreover, take the example of inns or pubs; those who owned and operated them had to have licences that included conditions such as the obligation to serve the public. The Pauls seem to think that pubs were open under absolute property rights and that the owners could do whatever they wanted on that property. This is false.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 7:42 pm

xenon13 wrote:
As property rights are civil rights subject to the law, then civil rights came first. There never were absolute property rights. Those who owned land had to do so under conditions as part of an arrangement with the Crown. The Crown could demand taxes or that soldiers be raised for battle. Moreover, take the example of inns or pubs; those who owned and operated them had to have licences that included conditions such as the obligation to serve the public. The Pauls seem to think that pubs were open under absolute property rights and that the owners could do whatever they wanted on that property. This is false.

The existence of eminent domain laws indicates that State interests supercede property rights in some cases.

ruveyn