Eye contact and looking at the camera

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:02 pm

I watch aspies on you tube and a lot don't look into the camera. Is it hard for you to look at the lens when you get your picture taken?

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:12 pm

I watched a YouTube video from one of the members here, I did find it really interesting to watch her eyes (not just because she's gorgeous) as she doesn't totally avoid eye contact, her eyes dart in such a way that looks like she isn't uncomfortable with the eye contact but that she doesn't know how much eye contact to make or for how long for - which is what my eye contact/lack of eye contact is like.

I find it hard to look at the lens of a camera - needless to say it caused problems when I was modelling - as long as I know exactly when to look at a camera it is fine, a quick click only takes a second of focused eye contact, but if it's taking time to take a photo (bear in mind I hate having my picture taken these days) or when it is a video I can't keep eye contact with the lens.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

emjay89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 May 2011, 1:24 am

probably explains why my drivers licence photo is so crap :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 1:53 am

I didn't know you were supposed to look at the lens but I have no problems looking at the camera. I have noticed my eyes being averted in the photos and other times they are looking straight at the camera.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

16 May 2011, 2:00 am

sometimes I look into the camera...alot of the time, I dont know when to.

as far as eye contact goes. it varies. On a good day, I can look most people in the eye for a little bit, but most of the time I just look at their lips or other part of their face. On a bad day, I had no idea what the cashier looked like cause I never looked at her. I saw her hands, but never her face.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 11:25 am

I usually look at the flash, instead of the lens.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2011, 11:46 am

I hate cameras (and pictures of myself really). I try to look just above the lens but my smile is usually crappy or makes me look like a sociopath.

Daina
Raven
Raven

16 May 2011, 11:55 am

I don't like looking at the camera because it looks weird in pictures. I usually look a little above and to the right of the camera.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 12:58 pm

I feel awkward looking at the camera in the same way that I feel awkward looking at someone whose eyes aren't visible, like if they're wearing mirror shades.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 2:12 pm

As best as I can recall, I've always been uncomfortable with having my picture taken. Not sure how that relates to eye contact.

MissWiggy
Raven
Raven

16 May 2011, 2:28 pm

I don't like having my picture taken, but I tend to look at the camera... however I'm never sure where on the camera I'm supposed to look... sometime I'll look at the lens, or the flash... or sometimes even the person who's taking the picture :lol:
And as long as the picture is taken pretty quickly, I'm ok. If there's a lot of faffing about I usually end up with a very bored expression.

Eye contact has always been a very difficult issue with me. I barely look at people like cashiers or bus drivers etc... usually I'll glance at their hands while replying to them. Then once I've moved away I'll think - you muppet, you were supposed to at least look them in the face! D'oh :x

I make a bit more effort when with friends or co-workers. But I still can't do it for very long and I end up focusing too much on what to do next instead of actually listening to what they are saying :roll:
And talking to certain people makes it worse, like there's this guy at work who's kinda cute and has a very intense stare which I can't tolerate for more than a few seconds, so I sometimes end up looking at his mouth or face, and then realise how inappropriate that might seem to him :oops: :oops:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 2:33 pm

I hate pictures. I've never had my picture taken and thought anything positive of my facial expression later.

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 2:49 pm

I have no issues with looking at the camera when having my picture taken - or with eye contact in general, funnily enough.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 3:00 pm

I have a harder time with a camera than looking at an actual person in the eyes.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2011, 3:12 pm

Yes, i don't look at the camera. When i tried, i noticed that i actually don't know how to look at the camera. I hate to take pictures about myself.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 May 2011, 3:17 pm

I'm pretty sure I talked about not looking at the camera in another thread. When it comes to looking at the camera, I avoid directly looking at the lens. If somebody were to see the picture of me, I'd be looking straight at them - if I'm not going to look at them in the eye literally, why do so in a photo?