Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2011, 7:26 pm

I would like to know do you think that these are common things people with ASD have? I am 17 male with this problem and a few others that I am not sure of but I would like to know.
1. Clumsiness it seems like we are more clumsy than most people or it is just me I don't know why but I am always screwing up something and making other people mad at me which is kind of annoying. I try my hardest but I keep screwing up.
2. Idiocy. Sometimes I also act like a complete idiot I say random things and I am extremely slow around people I don't act self aware of my surroundings and it always bugs me when people think that they are smarter than I am. I also get told that I am a idiot a lot and that other people say "dude I'm smarter than you" or stuff like that. I also get told that I am slow or stupid a lot by other people.
3. Constructive criticism one of the things that I hate most is this. I hate it when people always have to correct me and help me and I would get really defensive if someone try's to. like in one of my classes there is this one kid that every time I got a answer wrong he would go "dude this is not how you do the assignment here let me show you" and I would feel really embarrassed. I also have people do the entire work for me and I just sometimes feel bad for them
4. Why are we so gullible? I am extremely gullible and I am a nice person and will let anyone walk over me and I will never even care. People say to me "you're so easy" or "it is not worth picking on me" anyone can get away with me and I don't know why but I just seem to be one of those people that everyone just seems to take advantage of so easily.
Is this common things with people with ASD?

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 7:39 pm

All common amongst people with ASD.

You're not an idiot, it can feel that way particularly if you have trouble communicating or reacting to things around you, it doesn't help when people around you call you an idiot for that, but generally speaking people on the spectrum are smart - some would argue in general that we're smarter than neurotypical people.

Criticism is one I cannot do at all, I am also VERY defensive and secretive too, even in situations where people are not being critical of me but just curious about something I'm doing or why I'm doing something a certain way, when I know for a fact I'm doing something the right way, I simply cannot let them in on whatever I'm doing.

I'm not that gullible - I think I'm overly trusting, I tell anyone anything, I am often unaware of their intentions - I think I was possibly more gullible as a child but I was a very typically autistic kid so I had so much constant teasing and so-on that when I learned not to allow people to walk all over me I learned that lesson quickly.

Trust me, I think most of us will say these things are common, don't let it get to you...it's not a problem with you, it's a problem with how other people treat you, you're young it may get better as you get older, but even if it doesn't don't let it effect your self-respect/self-esteem.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 May 2011, 10:08 pm

The things that you describe happening to you have happened to me many times in the past. I'm pretty sure it's common for the things you've listed to happen to people on the spectrum.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 10:55 pm

I feel like an idiot most of the time, like I can't do things in a 'normal' manner like everyone else. I'm slow to get a couple of things but once I get it I'm an expert at it :) Aspies have a normal to above average intelligence, this is stated on the front page of WP. Don't feel alone, I'm sure alot of people, including myself, feel this way at some point in their lives. I can handle constructive criticism but only from those I expect, if it came from someone unexpected I'll be all defensive. I study at an art school and sometimes constructive criticism is helpful, like when I need an opinion on where to take my ideas further, what's good and whats's bad etc. Also I trip over alot of things, I'm still trying to learn my balance haha

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 4:58 am

You're definitely not alone in feeling like you do.
- I'm clumsy and knock over things.
- I feel stupid in social situations and say silly things, even though I know I'm actually really smart. When I tell people I have a degree (not something I do regularly, but if the conversation gets round to it), they become strangely admiring. I think they realise how smart I must be, as they wouldn't have been able to go to university. I know people can have a degree and not have any common sense, but I do possess common sense too, it's just not obvious when I speak.
- I don't take criticism well at all. Usually criticism at work was about my personality, things I can't help, e.g. my boss told me that she saw how I reacted physically to something not going well, although I never lashed out. I took this really badly as I thought I had this under control.
- Being gullible - I was a gullible youngster and was extremely friendly and caring, but I must say I'm not in the least bit gullible these days. I don't trust easily at all as I've had too many bad experiences as a child. I think this part of you will improve as you ger older.

It's good that you've managed to work this out at such a young age. I'm only just beginning to work out why I struggled with so many things.

Good luck

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2011, 7:39 pm

I also seem to have lower immaturity than my peers because I act like 11 when I am 17 and everyone else seems to act older than me I feel so off. I also have a active imagination like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes does anyone else have this feeling of imagination? I am in my own little world and that is how people think I am slow.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2011, 5:27 am

I am female and i am 28 currently, but i can relate to this:

1. About clumsiness, i don't think i have poor coordination (i have ambidexterity), but people around me in past have said i run funnily (even if i don't fall) and called me clumsy.
2. About feeling stupid it's happened many time. I always though (and i often still think) i am stupid, because i'm a slow learner and i can't understand things.
3. I have learned to hande critiques (yes, in last 3 years), but in past i really hated them. People always lectured me because i didn't things right, and this is another reason because i fell stupid.
4. Guillability is another thing that make me ashamed of myself. So i choose of being the opposite. Now i'm extremely careful to things other people say if they're important. And since often i can't understand what they say, i prefer not trust them, or ask to my mom to translate in a 'language' i can understand. If i'm able to understand, i don't get fooled easily. Anyway i still be called 'naive' because i can't understand jokes and i can't read between lines.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 8:40 am

Clumsiness is common with Aspies.

Idiocy isn't common, in fact we're probably more intelligent than most, but we tend to have communication and executive function problems, which can be misinterpreted as idiocy.

Criticism - Aspies often have trouble in giving and taking criticism. We often don't like it when others get involved with what we're doing anyway, we don't easily trust them not to wreck it for us, so if that involvement happens in the form of criticism then it's going to be even harder to take, because it attacks our sense of pride as well as making us feel invaded and threatened.

Gullibility - yes it's common. We have poor social imagination and poor social intelligence, so it's hard for us to know what people are really up to. Personally I just accept that I can't easily judge the intentions of others, so I assume they're all guilty until proven innocent, and I get out of the gullibility thing that way.

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2011, 9:42 pm

Another problem that I have is that I sometimes get a really active imagination I am not sure if I made this post before but I feel like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbe's and that I would be in my own little world most of the time and when someone asks me about something I would feel so distracted that I would not know what to do.

Another thing that someone said to me was when they said "Dude!! I am smarter than you!" I got this from a NT and I think that they are right because in class I act like I can't think straight. I get really offended by this when people comment on how well I process.

I am wondering anyone else extremely clumsy as me because I am always messing things up and spilling them on the ground and making my entire group mad. I keep getting that and I find it really frustrating. Sorry for bad spelling was typing this on a computer without spell checker.

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2011, 10:13 pm

I also seem really stupid to other people and that I have a hard time focusing on what the task is and they would yell at me for doing something bad or stupid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 5:12 am

Standing up for yourself and/or saying the right thing when standing up for yourself. Although lots of NTs suffer this difficulty too, it's that much more typical for Aspies.