James Durbin, American Idol Controversy

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 12:55 pm

Okay, I am an NT parent of an almost 6 yr old boy with PDD-NOS. I know I have obsessive tendencies myself though, and I think I have found a new special interest. I just can't stop reading about James Durbin getting voted off of American Idol. I think I am just so proud that someone with his struggles has come so far, and showing people that they can still live their dreams even in spite of difficulties. His talent is amazing, and I just hope that he will go far and use his God given talents to help others with autism/tourette's.

Just curious about how anyone else is feeling about all of the attention and publicity surrounding him.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 1:26 pm

I haven't read anything, but I was outraged when he was voted off. He was one of the best singers American Idol has ever seen. I absolutely loved him, even though I am a country music girl! I wanted Haley to go. I love Lauren and Scotty, but there is NO WAY Haley was better than James. It is ridiculous. And no matter how she gets in the competition, James will be more famous. Clearly she was my least favourite left. I definitely think she can sing--she made it really far, but she was NOT better than James. I think a lot of it had to do because people felt sorry for the comments she received from Randy that night.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 2:19 pm

I think he is going to do better not being the winner. I am just amazed at how he hits those high notes! I have never watched American Idol before, this was the first season. I will probably not watch it again. I actually do like Haley because I am not a country fan. But I would be okay if Scotty wins I guess. I think James has already moved on, and will be signing a record deal soon. I just think it is encouraging to see someone with Tourette's/AS make it to the spotlight! I would like to know more about his childhood, maybe he will write a book!

I was just thinking to myself, I wonder if his bullies in school are laughing now???

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 2:32 pm

Well I don't see music as a competition so quite frankley I hate American Idol and anything like it......that being said I imagine as a rule the decent singers that do get on that show probably do not end up winning because its all about what's popular moreso then who has actual talent.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2011, 5:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I don't see music as a competition so quite frankley I hate American Idol and anything like it......that being said I imagine as a rule the decent singers that do get on that show probably do not end up winning because its all about what's popular moreso then who has actual talent.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 5:18 pm

Well, I'm not too upset that James got booted. I sort of got over it... After all, keep in mind the EXACT SAME THING happened to Chris Daughtry who ended up in fourth place on the season he was in and look at him now... Chris has a solid music career even though he probably should have won... James has the talent and I have no doubt that like Chris, he will somehow be successful and the fact that he is an Aspie only adds to his appeal of a role-model to young people...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

17 May 2011, 7:36 pm

Where's Simon Cowell? He should return to American Idol, because none of the singers this season were that good.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 5:24 pm

I just saw James on Ellen Degeneres yesterday and I thought he gave some good publicity for the AS/Tourette's community. He said that he embraces being different and being a freak. He said that "being different is the new normal" I thought it was great.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 8:48 pm

I only heard him sing once. I didn't think he was that good. Obviously allot better then me, but not professional caliber.

Nikki82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2011, 9:28 pm

I was so upset when James was voted off he has alot of talent. I am still not over it and when i watched it this week i missed seeing him he was good everytime on the stage, it's a shame.