Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Manganus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2011, 10:16 am

Unfortunately, I'm lazy.

Hence I ask you for your help.

Does someone here know if there exists reliable data for how people with autism spectrum functionality cope with sign language?

I understand that for some people with AD/HD, learning sign language may be more complicated than many other tasks, but I trust the contributors to this forum to have a much broader view than I have.

Thanks in advance!

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 10:40 am

You'll have to be more clear - why would it be problematic for you?

I'm learning sign language at the moment, learning the signing itself is easy, I pick it up very fast, my only problem is at the moment I'm having problems with the students in my class ignoring me so I'm not able to practice with other people.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 10:41 am

I dunno how to answer your question. All I can say is that I took sign language back in college & loved it. I was into studying languages (French, Spanish, & German) at the time, & found it really enjoyable. Back then, it never occurred to me I might be on the spectrum. I will say that as much as I enjoyed studying German out of the other foreign languages, I loathed having to listen to my own voice in the language lab, & ASL didn't require it. I got good grades in German, but aced sign language btw. Of course, it had just a handful of students, & we all interacted with one another & the teacher. Great time & most of us picked up ASL really fast. Maybe I wasn't the only one on the spectrum....it's possible.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive