Dyslexic Brain without dyslexia, ADHD scores without ADHD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

plantwhisperer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2011, 8:01 pm

After 2 neuropsych exams, the general consensus is "You're an N of 1, (as in N=1)" Surely, there's a less mysterious explanation. The facts are as follows.

1. I had alot of problems with left right reversal as a kid. Apparently, I still do. I flipped alot of the complex geometric figures on the Weschler memory test.
2. I have a freakishly good visual memory. Eidetic, photographic, whatever...
3. I have, I believe, what used to be called a symmetrical (dyslexic) brain with, consequently, weak hemispheric dominance. Very little in the way of boundary between the two hemispheres. I'm a visual spatial learner.
4. I suspect, that without the ridiculously good long-term visual memory, (which is to say, if I were neurotypical) I would have lifelong reading problems, as opposed to being hyperlexic.

Are there any strong visual spatial Aspergians who are also dyslexic? Is the unusual visual memory component the deciding factor in dyslexia?

5. My Connors Continuous Performance ADHD test gave the following results:
99 percentile commissions (inattention)
99 percentile perseveration
99 percentile impulsivity (perseveration and commissions)
93 vigilance
and yet, I don't in most ways, fit the profile of a person with ADHD. I'm occassionally impulsive, but have no difficulties with follow thru, or time management. My inattention during the 16 minute Connors test had largely to do with my being distracted by how brilliant the I thought the structure of the test to be, which led to other thoughts and, then, of yeah, I'm taking a test, .... I ought to focus on what I'm doing.

Anyway, when all the 25 different scores on the Connors were averaged, they came out to exactly the 50th percentile, the very definition of inconclusive. The neuropsych who tested me said he'd never seen that profile before. And wouldn't speculate about my results. He just said he didn't know, and again, that I was an n of 1. I'm fully aware that test scores do not make the man, or in this case woman. However, I feel sort of lost and alone with it all.

Is there anyone here who can explain it to me? Thanks in advance.
plantwhisperer

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:32 am

I am similar. My ADHD scores were higher though...I have been assessed as having Aspergers and have been treated for ADD...ADD meds don't do a lot for me, but I have tried to make them work

plantwhisperer

19 May 2011, 8:05 am

Thanks for the reply!

I have a diagnosis of Aspergers, too. I do wonder if there is a subcategory of Aspergers, (perhaps with a higher female to male ratio?) that might be called visual-lexical and flavored by more right hemisphere involvement, and therefore, include rather more visual creativity than some of the other types.

I read Daniel Amen's book about ADHD, and believe he's probably right about there being different categories of ADHD/ADD. He says there are 6. If there are that many, there might be more. More to the point, he says that the pharmaceutical treatment varies by type. Perhaps, you're on the wrong kind of meds?