Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Dirty_Diamonds
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2011, 9:34 pm

I have my first appointment tomorrow with a new doctor. I go through family services, so I'm not sure of this persons label, but I'm fairly sure they're a psychiatrist since she prescribes medication. I recently got a new therapist, and after talking it over with my Mom they're almost positive that I'm on the spectrum somewhere. The therapist can legally make a diagnosis(and I'd trust her if I did), but she thought it might be better to get a diagnosis from the psychiatrist and if the psychiatrist disagreed with it, she'd talk to her.

Annnywho, I'm extremely nervous. I've seen enough doctors to know that 9/10 it's not what you expect and generally an uncomfortable and upsetting situation. I generally tend to break down in this type of situation, and my therapist has mentioned that she wished I would've gotten the other pdoc instead of this one which makes me very nervous.

I'm wondering, what should I expect? I've already printed off some things to bring to her(my therapists instructions), my Mom is also going to be there part of the time since she'll be able to do a lot of talking for me about my past and what not.

I'm looking for any advice you can give me!

Thanks!

"Run from me. Everybody else does, and you know what? I don't care. So, I blow up. If they want to live their lives scared of something that isn't even happening to them then they've got a bigger problem than I do. Me, I'll face this one alone."

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

18 May 2011, 10:06 pm

Usually, initial appointments with psychiatrists last 50 minutes to an hour. As for what you should expect, the shrink'll probably ask why you're coming to see them. However, if you're an adult seeking a diagnosis of "Disorders First Diagnosed In Childhood and Adolescence" (which is what ASD's fall under in the DSM-IV-TR), then the shrink will want to know what your childhood was like. After talking to you, the shrink may ask you to leave the room so they can have a conversation with one of your parents (so yes, your mom should go with you to the meeting).

After the shrink talks to your parent(s), they'll call you back into the room, and you'll discuss treatment options available to you (assuming the shrink thinks you have a diagnosable disorder).

As for advice, act like you normally do upon first meeting strangers (whether it's outgoing, shy, uncomfortable, etc.). Tell the shrink everything - don't hold anything back, and always answer questions truthfully (many shrinks will tell you how much they are lied to by other patients on a regular basis). This knowledge comes from my personal experiences with multiple psychiatrists. Hope the information helps.

Sheldrake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 10:14 pm

I saw a psychiatrist today to get an official opinion on aspergers. It all went very well because I prepared what I wanted to say and took it with me on paper. I also had someone I trusted with me. I didn't end up needing to refer to what I wrote on paper because I had memorized most of it.

Unfortunatly they were unable to give any opinion on this because it was clear to them that I am depressed. According to their strict protocol they cannot do any test for aspergers when a person is depressed. They have a plan for me and I will be seeing them weekly. At least I got some good medication to help with agitation / depression / insomnia ett **** ***

Dirty_Diamonds

18 May 2011, 10:50 pm

Thanks everyone. It's just a huge problem for me to describe how I'm feeling, I guess. Many would say that I can be good at it until they get to know me and realize that none of the words I use are my own. I wasn't even able to describe my feelings with a word other than depression until 9th grade when I learned the word "anxiety". It was the same way with the beautiful "sensory" word, I never knew what exactly I was feeling until I had the words, and generally when I say "I don't know", I mean it.

It's very confusing :roll:

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

18 May 2011, 11:02 pm

Dirty_Diamonds wrote:
Thanks everyone. It's just a huge problem for me to describe how I'm feeling, I guess. Many would say that I can be good at it until they get to know me and realize that none of the words I use are my own. I wasn't even able to describe my feelings with a word other than depression until 9th grade when I learned the word "anxiety". It was the same way with the beautiful "sensory" word, I never knew what exactly I was feeling until I had the words, and generally when I say "I don't know", I mean it.

It's very confusing :roll:

In the beginning, that's the only explanation available. You'll figure out what's happening over time.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

19 May 2011, 1:31 am

well just be yourself..also recomend talking an online aspergers test. There is a good one posted on this forum that is on facebook...I recomend printing that off and checking all that apply. that will help you alot with the things you cant say or dont have the words for.

good luck,

jojo

Dirty_Diamonds

19 May 2011, 10:48 am

Well that sucked.

What are you supposed to do when you can barely talk in front of people, and they want you to tell you your symptoms, and you can't explain them?

All they hear is "anxiety". I even told her my sensory problems, which was the only thing she didn't write down.

I was very upset and my Mom went and found my therapist. She is NOT happy. My therapist is setting me up with a new psychiatrist.

She said I have a mood disorder and anxiety without even having me describe anything.

What a wack job. Anywho, my therapist is having me see someone else because she disagrees majorly with the psychiatrist and still believes I have Asperger's(and I do too.)

In the mean time, I'm a walking pharmacy again. The psychiatrist said I wouldn't have received relief from Lithium if I didn't have a mood disorder, but.. I still think she's wrong. Lithium could calm ANYONE down I'm sure.

I'm also now taking celexa and trazadone. Great. :roll:

NOT HAPPY!

"Run from me. Everybody else does, and you know what? I don't care. So, I blow up. If they want to live their lives scared of something that isn't even happening to them then they've got a bigger problem than I do. Me, I'll face this one alone."

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 11:34 am

Sorry to hear that your meeting didn't turn out as you'd hoped it would. Well, you just gotta keep searching for that one shrink who will understand and believe you. It's trial and error, just like with medication.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 1:24 pm

Dirty_Diamonds wrote:
Well that sucked.
What are you supposed to do when you can barely talk in front of people, and they want you to tell you your symptoms, and you can't explain them?

I would have written down my symptoms and how they effect me. Thats what I did when I went to see my psychologist for the first time. He ignored them so I went to a psychologist who would read them and discuss them with me. told me he could tell I was somewhere on the spectrum for the first meeting with me he did the testing to see where I fit on it. 8) Your 19 do what you want if this doctor is being an ass find one who isn't.

Dirty_Diamonds

19 May 2011, 2:32 pm

Yes, I am 19. I'm doing my best.

I've had a lot of experience with doctors because of all my medical issues, and I DO always take something in with me. Sometimes, they just refuse to look at it.

I currently don't have insurance right now, so I'm struggling and have to stick with the family service doctors. I do have an appointment with another psychiatrist, my therapist says I'll like him much more.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 3:23 pm

Dirty_Diamonds wrote:
Yes, I am 19. I'm doing my best.

I've had a lot of experience with doctors because of all my medical issues, and I DO always take something in with me. Sometimes, they just refuse to look at it.

I currently don't have insurance right now, so I'm struggling and have to stick with the family service doctors. I do have an appointment with another psychiatrist, my therapist says I'll like him much more.

This may seem an overly aggressive approach to some, but when I see a therapist for the first time, I adopt an attitude that the are working for me - they are somebody I am paying for a service. They are NOT an authority figure, they are a consultant. The last time I looked for one, I told them straight up that part of the first session was a job interview. I was interviewing HIM to see if I found him suitable. This works on two levels. If the therapist can't deal with this, then they aren't suitable at all. Their ego is to invested in authoritarian doctor/patient model. If they pass this first level, then there can be an open discussion about their therapeutic approach.

It takes some chutzpa to do it this way. But it works for me.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 3:45 pm

Todesking wrote:
Dirty_Diamonds wrote:
Well that sucked.

I would have written down my symptoms and how they effect me. Thats what I did when I went to see my psychologist for the first time. He ignored them so I went to a psychologist who would read them and discuss them with me. told me he could tell I was somewhere on the spectrum for the first meeting with me he did the testing to see where I fit on it. 8) Your 19 do what you want if this doctor is being an ass find one who isn't.

Writing things down is very good advice. I would have been really stuck in my psychiatrist appointment for the same reasons as the OP had I not written everything down before I went. The psych took his time to read what I had written (which was not short by any means -3 A4 pages, smallish font; and that was me trying to keep it brief!)

He then asked me questions to clarify points which I had made, and that proved a little easier for me.

He was almost certain I was on the spectrum and is going to carry out further assessment for clarification and to determine "whereabouts".

Dirty_Diamonds

20 May 2011, 5:00 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, but I DID take things in with me. The woman just refused to look or acknowledge them.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 6:30 pm

Dirty_Diamonds wrote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, but I DID take things in with me. The woman just refused to look or acknowledge them.

My first psychologist did the same thing he told me he needed to see my 8 or 9 times before he could figure me out. On top of that he told me he did not believe in titles like Aspergers. :roll: So I dumped I left him with his hand extended to shake mine but I left him hanging. He warned me that a neuro psychologist would take just as long as him but cost me more money to test me. My neuro psychologist had me tested on my second visit I think the visit cost me $20.00 and I paid 10% of the testing $150.00. He also gave the name of a good doctor who specializes in Autism cases and he also has Asperger's syndrome, 8) So he has insight in dealing with Asperger's.