exercise doesn't make up for a sedentary lifestyle

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 2:56 pm

http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/20 ... lling-you/

this blog also has links in its archives to primary studies that support the claims in the post above.

metalmaiden
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2011, 10:47 pm

It looks to me like they're making a logical leap from sedentary workers to obesity rates to heart disease. They are missing a few other variables in there, not to mention the scaremongering factor. They make it sound like every desk jockey in the entire Western world is already on his or her deathbed. That doesn't seem plausible to me.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 11:00 pm

I really need to start exercising. I'm so unfit; it's scary. I get out of breath just by walking up the road :?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 12:49 am

metalmaiden wrote:
It looks to me like they're making a logical leap from sedentary workers to obesity rates to heart disease. They are missing a few other variables in there, not to mention the scaremongering factor. They make it sound like every desk jockey in the entire Western world is already on his or her deathbed. That doesn't seem plausible to me.

No, they're saying that sedentary behavior causes heart disease, insulin resistance, etc. independant of weight and other factors. The link is just to a PP-type summary; the blog regularly discusses good, primary research on the topic.