General rule about people claiming an exact date...

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 5:29 pm

They're liars. Anyone claiming to know the day of Christ's return is a liar, according to the Bible itself even. Although it is inherently obvious to most people that such is a scam of one form or another, it is also Biblically wrong in addition. If this were in Old Testament times, such false prophets would be executed. May 21st is going to pass by, and then a lot of people who bought into Mr. Radio Heretic's spiel for their fire insurance are going to be disillusioned in general because they don't know any better. It is just plain disgraceful when such cults sprout up claiming "here's Christ" and "be ready by this date!" and such other tactics. Such people will be to blame for the eternal destinies of those who they have disillusioned by their false witness.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 5:35 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If this were in Old Testament times

It's the NT that states, ""But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone." Mt 24:36

But don't sound so uptight over it... The kooks are good for a giggle!

They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're altogether ooky,
The Rapture Family.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 5:58 pm

BurntOutMom wrote:
But don't sound so uptight over it... The kooks are good for a giggle!

And after May 21st arrives and departs and they're still here? Those kooks will realize they've been had, but in hindsight alone. Given that they are probably ignorant of scripture in general as well as brilliant enough to follow yet another "the end is precisely now" character, they're probably going to reject everything of Christianity en masse and then we'll have an influx of low intelligence atheists who just regurgitate whatever Dawkins and his ilk say.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:13 pm

If they don't all commit suicide. I'm just sayin', on Saturday, dude, don't drink the Kool-Aid.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:27 pm

BurntOutMom wrote:
If they don't all commit suicide. I'm just sayin', on Saturday, dude, don't drink the Kool-Aid.

I think there have been two cults which did that. One that thought that a comet was their alien mothership, and another whose pyramid scheme leadership killed a government official and some reporters and didn't want the consequences. I doubt this current group of "the end is precisely now" is going to commit suicide.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:30 pm

I guarantee that in 5 years, this preacher's following will be larger than it is today.

And that a majority of current followers will still be among his flock.

Edit: Provided, of course, that he's able to keep his wedding tackle properly stowed, his financial accounting on the up and up, etc. What I'm saying is that, historically, this kind of failed prediction doesn't hurt and almost certainly helps. Just ask the millerites.

But he's not just a liar, he's practicing priestcraft.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 6:37 pm

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 7:48 pm

But, what if it turns out that the end of the world DOES occur this Saturday? Then, you naysayers will be the ones who will be feeling mighty foolish, as the righteous get raptured away.

BurntOutMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 7:54 pm

pandabear wrote:
But, what if it turns out that the end of the world DOES occur this Saturday? Then, you naysayers will be the ones who will be feeling mighty foolish, as the righteous get raptured away.

There is that, to a point. I won't feel too foolish because we're supposedly not supposed to know. I think that God would have to appreciate that I follow the rules better than those others.
*pins on her Brownie badge*

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 8:13 pm

BurntOutMom wrote:
pandabear wrote:

There is that, to a point. I won't feel too foolish because we're supposedly not supposed to know. I think that God would have to appreciate that I follow the rules better than those others.
*pins on her Brownie badge*

It's a matter of always being ready rather than ready for a set date. The charlatans who provide a set date know that the people they convince will prepare themselves for that particular date, and often enough provide financial advice for them too, so conveniently. However, a Christian should always be prepared in the manner of their life and their obedience to Christ, not for a set date but for all their life regardless of whether they are to be spared - unlike those who were murdered hideously by Rome - or whether they are to live out the rest of their lives. These "the end is precisely now!" hucksters are dishonorable in so many diverse ways. It is purely reprehensible. After the day passes uneventfully, they will be shown for what they are and I bet many that this radio celebrity convinced will be disillusioned to this heretic at least and probably Christianity as well since this guy attempts to associate with Christianity.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 8:21 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
These "the end is precisely now!" hucksters are dishonorable in so many diverse ways. It is purely reprehensible. After the day passes uneventfully, they will be shown for what they are and I bet many that this radio celebrity convinced will be disillusioned to this heretic at least and probably Christianity as well since this guy attempts to associate with Christianity.

It is written in the Gospel According to Mathew that neither Christ nor the Angels know the exact End of Days. Only the Father knows (and he is not telling).

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 8:26 pm

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
These "the end is precisely now!" hucksters are dishonorable in so many diverse ways. It is purely reprehensible. After the day passes uneventfully, they will be shown for what they are and I bet many that this radio celebrity convinced will be disillusioned to this heretic at least and probably Christianity as well since this guy attempts to associate with Christianity.

It is written in the Gospel According to Mathew that neither Christ nor the Angels know the exact End of Days. Only the Father knows (and he is not telling).

ruveyn

Which is precisely why the May 21st huckster is wrong even from a theological point of view. And it's not just in Matthew either, but this spinster has to contort or ignore everything as the dude pleases. I don't even care how the guy randomly came up with May 21st, since it is wrong by default.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 8:33 pm

Pfft, everyone knows the world is going to end on Dec 21st, 2012, how can anyone buy into this May 20th 2011 crap? Gosh :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 9:09 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I guarantee that in 5 years, this preacher's following will be larger than it is today.

And that a majority of current followers will still be among his flock.

Edit: Provided, of course, that he's able to keep his wedding tackle properly stowed, his financial accounting on the up and up, etc. What I'm saying is that, historically, this kind of failed prediction doesn't hurt and almost certainly helps. Just ask the millerites.

But he's not just a liar, he's practicing priestcraft.

The preacher in question, retired civil engineer ( hes engineer so he must know everything- even more than Christ) and radio personality: Harold Camping already declared that the world was going to end in 1994! This moving of the goal post doesnt seem to bother his fans in the slightest!

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 9:50 am

pandabear wrote:

Wrong. My Mother's preacher has made it clear that sinners will leave and go into distruction at any unpredicted date, because nobody is supposed to know. Only the holy minority will remain behind to clean up the mess.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 12:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H196TsIiy4E[/youtube]

Please watch if you respond to this. No, this guy is not endorsing the Campy Heretic, so please don't assume the content based upon the title.