Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bjcirceleb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2011, 4:13 am

The fact that they are asking parents to sign draft copies is wrong in and of itself to me. Not all parents have the insight and strength to question things, that most on this site have. I would not do it and I would be reporting such requests to the appropriate authorities, as to me it seems illegal and while it may not be a big deal for some it is for others and it is a practice that should be outlawed. One would think it would already be outlawed. One questions whether the signed draf copies would actually be legally binding anyway, as they are not the final copy. How can a signature on a draft possibly be legally binding???

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2011, 5:29 am

I'm a homeschooler so this is not helpful - just a reaction. They didn't even tell her the original meeting was an IEP meeting. How horrible it that? And they are making her do all this while she is sick? They have no decency at all. I would have said no to the original meeting once I walked in. It is no IEP meeting if the key player, the parent, doesn't even know it's supposed to be one. I would have said, sorry folks, start over when you can at least give me the correct topic of discussion.

bjcirceleb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2011, 5:03 am

One would expect that all details about such meetings are provided in writing in advance. If that has not happened then to me that is wrong. Given the level of technology available these days even so called emergency meetings, could be confirmed via email. There needs to be a written record of all that goes on, and that includes all such meetings. I for one would not be willing to communicate with them via phone and would be insisiting all communication being done via email, that ensures that there is always a trail of what has gone on. I would also never go to any meeting without some form of advocate with me. Even if that was just a friend who agreed to go along as well to support the parents. You need an independent person who is not personally involved to be there for you.