Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 8:15 pm

I got into this a while back, but had a really hard time finding a charity that I could wholeheartedly support. I started by helping a family member, but when she no longer needed it, I found I didn't want to stop.

I worry about the economic effects of some charities, and the political aims of others. Then I found Kiva.org. I like microlending as a way of promoting the local economy of an impoverished region, and the money I send to Kiva.org largely gets paid back, and I can lend it again and again. I choose the recipients of my loans, and they have a lot of information about the terms offered by their local partner institutions.

I haven't ever invited anyone before, but I figure some of y'all share my concerns, so here goes:
http://kiva.org/invitedby/johnr5677

Also, I understand WP used to have a donate button. I'd hit that.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 8:23 pm

Yes, I brought this one up during a group project a year ago at school. We had to do something charitable and I thought why not help someone making a living so they could feed their family and send their kids to school.

We had $100 that our group of 6 had raised and needed to determine which charity we would send it to and write up a paper for the class based on that.

this girl in my group argued that there are poor kids here at home, in Portland Oregon, who could use markers and crayons and rulers. Because they'll go to school and think lowly of themselves because they don't have these things and the white kids do.

We ended up giving to the poor minority kids, so that is why I think that compassion alone is not good. The 10% standard for tithing deals with this some bit. But I think humanity and God would've preferred the "send $100 to help a Peruvian Mother afford a sewing machine so she could sew garments to sell in the local market to help feed her 3 children" compassion. Hunger and extreme poverty vs. kids not feeling bad because the white kids have crayons and colored pencils.

Anyways, go Kiva!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 8:26 pm

Not dissimilar to Heifer International and like programs, except for the revolving credit feature.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 8:42 pm

Philologos wrote:
Not dissimilar to Heifer International and like programs, except for the revolving credit feature.

And suitable for vegetarians, too. :wink:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 9:04 pm

I have bookmarked that page, and I plan to visit it again soon after my disability income begins in a few more weeks.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 9:40 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Philologos wrote:

And suitable for vegetarians, too. :wink:

Looking around various like groups TRYING to remember the name for Heifer International - like how many US city boys SAY heifer more than once a decade? - I see a few of them do veggie farming startups too.

I had heard of the revolving loan thing before - maybe 10 years? No idea in what context, likely a totally different organization.

In parts of India and Africa at least, I believe have read, some church grouyps have done loan programs. The UN too?

The $25 is a handy way to make ground llevel involvement accessible.