Is there a chance that I have Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2011, 11:08 pm

I have been diagnosed with social anxiety. The school counselor talked to my parents about me having trouble fitting in with the kids at school in elementary. get teased a lot and I have tried really hard to socialize and make friends but I am not good at it and I fail to understand it. There are a few people who I like to talk to a lot. I talk to my father and brother all the time at home. At school I rarely talk. There was this one boy who was real nice to me and we used to be friends but I have trouble keeping friends so we have not spoke for 5 months. I had a best friend in 4th grade that was the only time were I ever got close to someone outside my family but she said that I was too weird and I need to act like someone my age. I am 12 but in her eyes I am childish for my lack of interest in fashion and boys. I care about what I wear but I dress odd. She started acting different this year and I don't know why.I currently am friendless. I tried going to the skating rink to make some new friends.But the loud noise and the crowd bothered me and I went home. When I am nervous I tend to move around a lot. One girl said I could not stay still and asked if I had ADHD. That hurt my feelings so I called my mom to come and get me. Something I recall doing when I was a little bit younger that was weird was that I would not let any of my food touch on my plate and I would use a different piece of silverware for each bite. My parents forced me to quit this because they said it was nonsence. I never played with toys correctly or got interested in toys. I used to have a pillowcase that I carried everywhere when I was eight my father destroyed it and I through a fit. I used to be obscessed with cats when I was younger. That stopped when I was about 10 though.I have a little bit of trouble with sarcasim and metaphors but I have gotten better.Recently a teacher told me to quit taking my kindle to school because some kids have sticky fingers. I said why does that matter there not going to touch my kindle. And then she explained what she meant and I was embarassed. I have a great sense of humour though I am not very funny but I laugh all the time and constantly watch comedies on television. I don't watch to much TV but when I do it's either a history channel show cause I find those interesting or a comedy cause I enjoy laughing. I have a hard time with eye contact. My mom yells at me if I don't look at her when I am talking she says that I look like I am paying attention to myself and not her. I can read simple emotions on peoples faces. One thing that makes me think I don't have it is that I am able to have empathy for people but only if the exact same thing happened to me.I heard being smart was normal for aspies. I am not that intelligent but I am a little smarter than my peers. I am a complete book worm. I just finished reading to kill a mockingbird yesterday.I am skipping two years in math at school. I took a test the other day and I qualify to take algebra next year. I am in a gifted English class.And I am a honor student.I have a average IQ though it's only 115. I am good at playing guitar,writing short stories, and cooking. So does it sound like it or not? Also I apologize for this being so long.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2011, 3:37 am

It's definitely a possibility.

Quote:
I have a average IQ though it's only 115.

An IQ of 115 is quite high actually.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 6:50 am

Something going on for sure. Doesn't sound like simply social anxiety.

I've been there. Back in high school, I experienced similar issues. Through a therapist and a psychiatrist I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia. Yet somehow the underlying causes of that anxiety remained unaddressed. It wasn't until I discovered AS that all the rest of it made sense.

This could very well be the same scenario for you. My advice would be to continue to do research on AS, talk to trusted family members or teachers about it, and communicate with other similarly-minded individuals, like you are now.

good luck :wink: