Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:39 am

NSFW lyrics
Not fantastic, but kind of fun anyway.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiYZxOlCN10&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:47 am

As an environmentalist, I was very disappointed...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 2:59 am

Is there any such thing as Climate Science. There are Climate Models, but what is Climate Science.

I have heard of physics, chemistry, biology, geology, seismology, and even meteorology. But where is Climate Science.

ruveyn

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 3:26 am

don't be deliberately obtuse, ruveyn.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 3:29 am

LKL wrote:

I am an Aspie. I was born obtuse.

ruveyn

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 3:33 am

No, you were born socially inept. They are different things.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 3:39 am

LKL wrote:

I am genetically literal minded. I have no theory of mind for other people. I am not convinced other people have minds. I am not even convinced I have a mind. I know I have a brain because I have seen the angiograms, the PET scans and the MRI scans. I have a lovely brain with very few holes in it (which is good news from someone my age).

I am not only literal minded, I WANT to be literal minded. I want other people to be as exact in how they express themselves as I am. I mean what I say and what is more important, I say what I mean and I say it precisely. I don't want to be a muddle headed NT muggle. I want to be an Aspie wizard.

Social ineptitude is a small price to pay for intellectual excellence.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 8:22 am

LKL wrote:

Where you been, guy?! !!??

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 8:25 am

ruveyn wrote:
LKL wrote:

I am genetically literal minded. I have no theory of mind for other people. I am not convinced other people have minds. I am not even convinced I have a mind. I know I have a brain because I have seen the angiograms, the PET scans and the MRI scans. I have a lovely brain with very few holes in it (which is good news from someone my age).

I am not only literal minded, I WANT to be literal minded. I want other people to be as exact in how they express themselves as I am. I mean what I say and what is more important, I say what I mean and I say it precisely. I don't want to be a muddle headed NT muggle. I want to be an Aspie wizard.

ruveyn

I can buy into that lAZst remark. But you are too credulous. Being shown an MRI scan hardly PROVES you have a brain. For all you know it is just upgraded Scientology technology.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 8:41 am

Philologos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
LKL wrote:

ruveyn

I can buy into that lAZst remark. But you are too credulous. Being shown an MRI scan hardly PROVES you have a brain. For all you know it is just upgraded Scientology technology.

I know how the machine works. I am not being credulous. And seeing how you have used a computer based on quantum processes to project your spew into the cyber-world I can hardly take you seriously.

ruveyn

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Is there any such thing as Climate Science. There are Climate Models, but what is Climate Science.

I have heard of physics, chemistry, biology, geology, seismology, and even meteorology. But where is Climate Science.

ruveyn

I guess one needs to define science first:

Quote:
What is the purpose of science? Perhaps the most general description is that the purpose of science is to produce useful models of reality.

Does climate science achieve this. Yes. It has produced models of climate reality such as the El-Nino and La-nina that help us forecast severity of Hurricane seasons. Climatology is a branch of atmospheric sciences that produces measurable results through the scientific method. One doesn't have to agree with the results of some of the studies produced by climate scientists; but the same applies there to any other application of science.

And regarding your Aspieness; I find many of your opinions greatly influenced by emotion, including this one. There is no such thing as a true literal mind. Some are more literal than others. A truly literal mind without emotion, could make no decisions. This has already been demonstrated by science.

If I had to guess, I suspect you don't agree that humans have anything to do with climate change, so since this science does not seem valid to you, you seem to see climatology as a whole, not to be a valid category of science. If that is the case, it seems like more of an emotional reaction than a logical one.

Emotions can be strong or weak, but they are a requirement to survive as human.

Emotion creates bias through experience and reflection; bias is equally important to survival. Science, makes the effort to eliminate bias, but as a basic component for survival within humans, and the fact that it is humans that do the science, bias is extremely hard to eliminate.

Interesting that one would see bias in a study, or religion, and expand that to the whole science or everyone that participates in the religion, but it is, perhaps an extreme example of bias.

Interesting that you bring up TOM. For one that cannot understand other minds, it stands to reason, that bias might be stronger, in some cases, considering one might not have the ability to consider some mitigating factors, because of the inability to understand TOM.

I think that is where the phrase "hard headed" comes from. :)

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 2:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:

I know how the machine works. I am not being credulous. And seeing how you have used a computer based on quantum processes to project your spew into the cyber-world I can hardly take you seriously.

ruveyn

What in the name of KuSek makes you think I am using a computer?

You take me a tad more seriously as I take you. And for good reason.

At least I am not claiming I built an MRI machine.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 5:32 pm

LKL wrote:

:lmao:

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 7:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Actually: there is a such a thing "climatology"- the science of climate change- like meterology it is a branch of the atmospheric sciences.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 7:53 pm

aghogday wrote:

If I had to guess, I suspect you don't agree that humans have anything to do with climate change, so since this science does not seem valid to you, you seem to see climatology as a whole, not to be a valid category of science. If that is the case, it seems like more of an emotional reaction than a logical one.

Human beings make more CO2 than is necessary and that will affect climate some. The question is to what extent do other natural processes drive climate. For example variation in solar output, variation in orbit, variation in inclination of the axis, secondary and and tertiary cosmic rays producing cloud cover. I have seen no proof that eliminates these other processes as causes of the current warming trend.

The problem is that the entire mater of global warming has been politicized and the "science" that supports human activity as the exclusive or major cause is quite corrupt. Government money favors anthropogenic global warming because that gives the government a pretext for increasing its regulatory powers. Let us say, I am skeptical of the anthropogenic hypothesis although I readily grant that it is -possible- that it might be true.

ruveyn

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 8:39 pm

ruveyn wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Human beings make more CO2 than is necessary and that will affect climate some. The question is to what extent do other natural processes drive climate. For example variation in solar output, variation in orbit, variation in inclination of the axis, secondary and and tertiary cosmic rays producing cloud cover. I have seen no proof that eliminates these other processes as causes of the current warming trend.

The problem is that the entire mater of global warming has been politicized and the "science" that supports human activity as the exclusive or major cause is quite corrupt. Government money favors anthropogenic global warming because that gives the government a pretext for increasing its regulatory powers. Let us say, I am skeptical of the anthropogenic hypothesis although I readily grant that it is -possible- that it might be true.

ruveyn

I understand that there are many controversies surrounding the climate science behind climate change. And agree we don't have a perfect model in that we can't reliably measure the other factors that you mention. However, that's a problem with the climate change or "Global Warming" model, with possible political influence, not Climate Science or Climatology. The Global Warming model, by far, is not the only observable phenomenon that Climatology studies.

Other phenomenon measured by climate science like the "El nino" and "La nina" are reliable products of Climate Science. We can't come to the conclusion that Climate Science is not science, because of a flawed study associated with it, can we?

I remember in the 70's predictions of a "little ice age". It never happened. I often wonder if global warming might have had some impact on slowing down the potential of this.

While it is impossible to eliminate all the other impacts of nature on "Climate Change" or "Global Warming", it is also impossible to eliminate the human factor in understanding what our climate might be like if we didn't have the human impact on global warming.

So, how do we know the climate might be harsher, without the human impact on climate change? I don't think we can.

What do you think?